Saturday, June 22, 2013

Future Grrrrl!

Whoa!  who is that babe?
It's FUTURE GRRL!
So; Cassie was going to a Futuristic party... and had a firm idea of how she wanted to look.  To make this sartorial vision a reality she wanted a flamboyant and luxuriously textured coat.   
Mission accomplished!
She took her inspiration from an Alexander McQueen outfit, and looks kinda Blade Runner I reckon.  We bought the fabric and pattern together. Wait, wait what am I saying? I bought the fabric and pattern.  She buys her own clothes now, but I do pay for her fabric when we're out together... I'm hoping to encourage that creativity and DIY spirit.  Well, that's the theory, anyway!
below: Alexander McQueen Fall 2010 RTW
Fast forward a coupla weeks and Cassie having spent hours and hours and hours of her free time on meticulously hand-sewing another friend's costume for him to wear to the same party (he looked very cool too, btw) suddenly realises the night before the party that she has to work the next day, and so there is absolutely NO WAY she can get her own costume finished on time.  Daughterly pleading with promises of chocolate followed.  *sigh*  Mum to the rescue.  I did not want that fabric and pattern to just sit there and not even get to the party!
Hehe, I'm joking of course, I was very happy to step in and take over the making of this ultra glamorous jacket.  Isn't it rather gorgeous??  And, she did construct most of the shell herself.  Probably we each did about half the work involved.
btw, this is NOT the fab, self-indulgent, frivolous thing for myself I mentioned in my previous post... I had to abandon that for a while to make this!  That is yet to come!
The pattern is Butterick 5144, a reproduction 1948 pattern.  My, but this is a wonderful silhouette, isn't it?  Fortunately I'm allowed to wear it too if I want  ;)
The fabric is a heavy Chinese brocade from Spotlight; emerald green and gold and black, with dragons writhing all over, and lined with black polyacetate lining fabric.
Cassie made her own "sunnies" too.  Aren't they amazing?  She tells me there was another girl at the party with homemade mesh sunnies on.  They met up and were like: 
Hey cool sunnies!  
Hey, yours too!  
Can you see anything?  
Nup!  Can you? 
No!
cue massive rofl.... in that way that girls at a party have...

Details:
Jacket; Butterick 5144, Chinese ... silk? (can't remember for sure) brocade
Sunnies; made by Cassie
Cami; Country Road
Skirt; Manning Cartell
Stompin' boots; bought in Japan  



Pattern Description:
Very loose-fitting lined jacket has shaped front and flared back, shawl collar, side seam pockets, two piece sleeves with turn-back cuffs and shoulder pads
Pattern Sizing:
16-24, unfortunately the only size the shop had.  I graded it down to a 10.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you had finished sewing it?
Yes.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Very!  This is rated easy, and it is!
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Oh My Gosh, you guys. I was doubtful at first when my daughter chose it, but now I could not possibly love it more. It could be the most glamorous thing in the house! The shaped hemline is chic and looks quite high-end, the draped back is elegant, the long and very wide sleeves look lovely. It has pockets! and is overall a surprisingly simple make. 
I have no dislikes.
Fabric Used:
Chinese brocade (I think silk? but am not 100% sure of that)
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
Unfortunately the only size in the store was a 16-24, and my daughter had her heart set on it. However I did not find it difficult to grade it down to a 10; there are 11 pattern pieces which are quite basic and the instructions are simplistic and straightforward. No fiddly or difficult bits at all.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
My daughter and I made this one together for her, and I think I would like to make one for me now! And, yes!
Conclusion: 
Very very cool. This is a 1948 reproduction pattern, so at first glance it might appear a bit costume-y but in this unexpected fabric it manages to fit beautifully into a funky modern wardrobe. I absolutely LOVE how it turned out. This one is for my daughter, and me? I'm dreaming of one in lightweight camel wool... or maybe in black or chocolate coloured velvet... (sigh)

65 comments:

  1. Very cool! Nice job team future-trend setters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - beautiful! I love that such a futuristic garment came from a vintage design. And, of course, the sunglasses are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! And stylin'.
    I also love the irony of the futuristic retro coat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, I wouldn't have picked out this pattern, but it's fantastic! The coat looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! Very unique, Love it!!You have a nice inspiring blog, would you like to follow each other?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, I never would have picked that pattern either. But it's fantastic. I'm thinking how nice a winter version would be in a very drape-y wool. Such a cool silhouette.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a pretty fabulous outfit. Never would have guessed it came from a vintage style pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that coat looks amazing! Very futuristic, you wouldn't guess there's a vintage style pattern behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great look. I wouldn't have thought to pick a retro pattern for a futuristic look. It works!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's amazing how that jacket can go futuristic or totally retro! How surprisingly versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh oh oh. That is SO cool. SO.DARNED.COOL. I would love to also see the other costume that Cassie worked on.

    Slurp. (That's me, slurping it up.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the coolest thing I´ve seen around for a long time! Excellent choice of fabric and pattern, as you said, very Blade Runner indeed! And the good thing is that you/she can wear it even if you are not at a futuristic party. Sooo lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous piece! The fabric takes the silhouette over the top. Love love love it! I would love to see what Cassie made for her friend too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow - I would never have thought that this pattern would look so futuristic! It just goes to show what a good choice in fabric and a fabulous attitude will do! I have this pattern and it will now have to move further up the 'to make' list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's beautiful. It's not what I would have expected from the pattern illustration, but it turned out absolutely glamorous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Vintage pattern? No way!!! This just goes to show we must look to the past to stay modern :) Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is really, really awesome! I need to find a new word because I say that every time, but I can't help it, I'm blown away! A huge wow for the sunnies too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun costume. That brocade is luscious. Those 'sunnies' give me a headache to see them. Might we get to see the friend's costume? Looking forward to seeing your special project! I've been making knitting needle organisers for my UK and US needles. Not very exciting on your scale of things but I'm enjoying myself.

    ReplyDelete
  19. FABULOUS! It just goes to show that great style looks good across many decades. That jacket pattern reminds me of the fantastic clothes worn in those black and white forties movies, those stars knew how to work a shoulder pad. and I was sure this was your frivolous project...can't wait to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey,
    amazing pictures!!! :)
    The jacket is great!
    Love
    Tabea

    http://wolkedrei.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great looking coat - both for costume and real life. I love things like that. It doesn't look very cold there right now - isn't it Winter? (Husband might be in Perth for the month of August, and I told him you were wearing wool tights, so it must be very cold.)
    Only thing I like better than sewing for my daughter, is when she sews (or just wants to) for herself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beryl, thank you! Yes, it is winter here, we are getting temperatures ranges of roughly 6-21C, and August will be very much the same, I think. You can check Perth weather updates here
      http://www.bom.gov.au/wa/forecasts/perth.shtml

      Delete
  22. Very cool! Excellent future-girl material...

    ReplyDelete
  23. super cool! and gorgeous fabric too

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cool bananas! Sounds like you had a great time making it. Jo x

    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  25. great outfit, your such fast sewers. I think I like this pattern better than the original illustration, which isnt usually the case with vintage patterns. Love those shades

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, I adore this! Love the fabric and the pattern - they work beautifully together. Your daughter looks absolutely stunning with this coat.
    So well done, both of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I want the same !!!! Beautiful goog job mother and daughter

    ReplyDelete
  28. It looks so cool. Love the idea of a retro cape/coat made in silk brocade looking so futuristic. But oh the thought of one in camel coloured wool is making me drool. :-)
    I'll give the sunnies a miss this time though!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow - such a cool jacket and I never would have even glanced at that pattern. It appears Cassie has a great eye for patterns and fabric. Don't stress if she chooses not to sew right now, I think she has a real eye for it and she will eventually follow your lead.

    I'm definitely going to flag this pattern now. How great would it look with skinnies?!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sorry - bit of a repetitive comment there. The kids are bugging me.

    ReplyDelete
  31. That fabric is amazing and it totally does look like something from Bladerunner! Your daughter is a real natural in front of the camera too!

    ReplyDelete
  32. It looks very fabulous. The comment about encouraging creativity made me laugh, because I can't say no to my son in Spotlight either. It's nice and somewhat daunting to know that the costume sewing doesn't automatically end when they leave primary school :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very cool cloak. I think that you & I are pretty close in age, but I really want you to be my mum. Please?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for the close up photo of the fabric, it is just lovely. I may need some too. Grrrrrrrl looks pretty fabulous, even if she can't see!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love, love, love it! A great costume that can easily move into your wardrobe as that "special" piece. I can't wait to see your interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Truly amazing. I love how kids do the night before thing - I have made several costumes for my 20 year old the day before when it is casually mentioned he needs them! Nothing this gorgeous or sophisticated though!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh it is just fantastic Carolyn. Can't wait to see your version. So I'll still be sewing up 'costumes' for years to come !!!! Loved your commend about encouraging her creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love your choice of fabric, it looks amazing. Not just a costume but a keeper for wearing many other places. Very fashion forward and soooooo inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This look is amazing - she looks like a model (stunning) - fantastic futuristic!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. That is such an awesome futuristic outfit! Apparently you've raised her right, if hand-sewing a friend's costume and part of her own is what she does for fun!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Such an awesome outfit! The jacket is gorgeous and the shades are very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  42. And again, you amaze me. may I come and live in your sewing studio for awhile?

    ReplyDelete
  43. Mum's! They always come to the rescue amiright :D This is absolutely stunning, gorgeous fabric and pattern. I love it and so perfect for the party theme.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Man that is awesome!! I love capes, but sure I could pull it off :) I love the whole outfit, very trendsetter ;)

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love it! Before I read it I thought these pics were straight out of a fashion magazine! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  46. She looks like a model!
    And only you would say it's no big deal to grade down 11 pattern pieces to a size 10. :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. I would wear that!!! :-D I haven't felt inspired to sew for a while now... but that coat has sparked an interest hehe

    ReplyDelete
  48. that is so fab! Love the sunnies, who cares if she can see or not, it looks terrific!
    Love the cape, you are such a good mum!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Velvet! I vote for the velvet for your version. I've no superlatives to add to everyone else's - it's just gorgeous. And I love the visor!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Oh wow, what a cool outfit!
    The sunnies are pretty awesome, too. And I love the boots!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I love this, especially those sleeves and how they disappear cape-like into it Gosh, I've never noticed that pattern before but you both put it in a new context. She looks awesome. I remember all the times I made an ambitious start on a Vogue Designer pattern in my teens and then my mom would stay up finishing in the middle of the night. Moms are pretty cool that way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  52. Beautifully done. And I want that jacket! Off to find the pattern...

    ReplyDelete
  53. Fabulous jacket - it's amazing how futuristic vintage can be.
    Love the sun glasses too!

    ReplyDelete
  54. This chinese brocade is gorgeous!!!!!!! Love it! The jacket turns out awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  55. This is amazing! I love the jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  56. The fun of being creative at its best! Great work, both of you...J

    ReplyDelete
  57. This coat is so beautiful! I hope Cassie keeps wearing it even though it is a costume. It is very McQueen. I also love the irony of using a 1940s pattern to make a futuristic garment!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Such a nice fabric use with a treasure pattern!

    ReplyDelete