Wednesday, February 20, 2013

the paper doll project

14th - 19th February
(I've pledged to wear only clothes handmade by me this year and to sketch my daily outfits in my Fashionary.  I'm calling this the paper doll project)

from left:
pink lace dress over pink satin petticoat
border print dress
Bamboo shoot top, embroidered yellow shorts, ivory hat
navy/white check top, green gingham shorts, green knitted hoodie
blue top (worn as pictured in the last look here), white shorts, ivory hat
dress made from an old polo Tshirt

You can see we had a brief but refreshing and energising cool spell.  Sunday felt positively wintery after the last few sweltering weeks we've had, so I actually had a woolly cardigan on hand for early morning and late evening.  Today it's back to 38C.  Craziness.

eta: Thursday was Valentine's Day  :) so I wore my most romantic dress.  I made a picnic of pate and bikkies, prawn and avocado salad, and strawberries, and we took it along with a bottle of champagne down to the river, to sit on the grass and watch the sunset.  Just lovely.

Have you joined "Map the Sewintists"?  A fun and informative initiative by Vicki, of Another Sewing Scientist.  If not then get thee to Google maps posthaste and pin yourself onto your spot!



View
Map the Sewintists in a larger map

16 comments:

  1. Loads of clothes here I don't remember seeing before. Those dresses are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this project. So cute to see your drawings... and I know personally I much rather draw a picture than pose for the camera! Maybe I'll follow suit for Me Made May.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen your dress from polo before. So clever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking at the map of sewists ~ I couldn't help wondering who lives at the North Pole - or is that Greenland? Perhaps she could identify herself! and where does she go for fabric and bits and bobs we all need? I would like to put my pin in England, but I'm afraid she'd sink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people dropped pins in the wrong place, maybe that is one of them. Once you click on the map and zoom in it gets less crowded. There can never be too many sewists!

      Delete
    2. Maureen; EmSewCrazy is right! when I first put my pin in; I zoomed in to see I was apparently swimming in the middle of the ocean between here and Rottnest Island :) Also, if you zoom in, and click on a particular pin, the name and description that the person entered on their pin, comes up; so we can see who everyone is. Please; put your pin in too!

      Delete
  5. Enseguida voy al mapa a seleccionar mi punto en el mapa. Que bonito

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Paper Doll Project. I came thisclose to buying the sketchbook on Amazon but it's been a tight month $$$ wise so I'm going to hold off... but what a great tool for sketching dress ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh some lovely outfits! Off to check on your polo shirt fix.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the bamboo shoot top, and pretty much everything else you make :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy seeing your weekly paper doll drawings. They're inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely drawings and outfits. Great goal and wonderful projects. What fun, thanks for sharing this with us.Your pal in California.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carolyn, you've gotten me hooked on your blog, and hooked on the Fashionary! I order one and I'm finding it so nice to put my ideas down on paper. Maybe I'll try your approach, document what I'm wearing, for a week or two at some point. It really forces you to think about what it is that you like, and what it is that you actually end up wearing. Anyway, I'm really enjoying your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Carolyn, thanks for passing on Another Sewing Scientist's great idea! I just pinned my location, and discovered what looks like your lovely waterfront location if that inlet of water in Perth is any indication :) Cool thing is I found two others with sewing interests here in Brussels that I didn't know anything about. I've also passed the map on to another sewing friend in the Brussels area. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete