Monday, February 25, 2013

the paper doll project, and a thermal

20th - 25th February
(I've pledged to wear only clothes handmade by me this year and to sketch my daily outfits in my Fashionary.  I'm calling this the paper doll project)

from left:

Hello!
It's been an up and down week, weather wise.  We had tickets to Ballet at the Quarry for Friday night which we look forward to so much every year! because it is outdoors under the stars, very casual sitting on the grass, and you always take a picnic to enjoy before it starts.  The performances tend to the contemporary; raw and athletic, and set against the backdrop of gum trees and stars it is always a mesmerising evening.  And just before starting time the heavens opened, we had a sudden, crazy rainstorm; and the performance had to be postponed!  (gobsmacked)  We simply could not believe it!!!   Of course rain, is always very very welcome here ... since Perth has been as dry as a bone for about four months.  But it had to be right then?
Looking on the bright side, the garden had a good drink and we still have the ballet to look forward to now.  I'll be making another picnic.  :)
I've made a top.  This will be a thermal.  Ha! anyone in Perth reading this will be laughing hysterically that anyone here is even thinking about thermals right now!!  but while the temperatures make it feel like we'll never be cold again, of course we will!  If I am going to get through winter in only my own handmade clothing I am going to need at least a few long underthingies.  Plus the fabric was already sitting out after I had cut out the lining for Cassie's dress so (shrug)
This is a prototype.  There will be one or two more before winter arrives.   The lower hemline when pulled right down sits over my bottom  :) I know, oolala, tres uber sex-ay, non?  Non! but these things are a necessary part of any seasonally well-stocked wardrobe!
The fabric is a thin, clingy, soft, and slightly fluffy jersey knit, the last of the leftovers from this drape drape dress, and the lining from Cassie's Pisces dress.  I used my self-drafted Tshirt pattern.  btw, just a reminder, this pattern started out as Burdastyle 06/2011, pattern 120, but has been fiddled and diddled with it so much there is literally not a single cutting or stitching line remaining that is original.  Which is why I've taken the liberty of giving it self-drafted status.
Anyway, it is now a perfectly custom fitted-to-me Tshirt pattern.
The neckline, sleeve and lower hems are all finished with self-fabric bands, attached as per this tutorial.

In general blog housekeeping, I have made the decision to disable Anonymous commenting.  I feel a bit sad about this, since I do get lots of kind comments from real and genuine people who seem to prefer the anonymous option.  But I'm sorry; the spam was driving me crazy! and I just had to.  Saturday night was the last straw, in just 24 hrs so many new spam comments got through the filter that it wasn't funny.  I had to go through my published comments, and individually "spammed" about 60 NEW comments... I wish I was exaggerating or kidding, but I am not.  It was crazy.  And that is not even counting the comments that had been caught by the spam filter... then I went into the spam box and there were ALSO over 650 new spam comments there.  And I had cleaned it all out only 24 hrs previously!  I usually flick briefly through, to check that no "real" comments have been erroneously marked as spam, and occasionally I get a laugh out of some of the whackier spam comments.  Sadly spammers are getting boringly repetitive and unimaginative in their spam nowadays, and I'm over it.  So, I'm really sorry to my lovely genuine Anonymous's.  Like every other blogger I love genuine comments and feedback, so maybe you could create a google or an open ID, or something?  :)

27 comments:

  1. Hi Carolyn, how very sensible of you on both scores! I totally agree length is the key in underthingys and very difficult to find in the shops even in the chilly UK, where you would have thought we would be spoiled for choice! I will be following your example before our next winter. Before I had the google account I used openID with an abbreviated version of my name - it never caused any problems so would be fine for those who want to retain some mystique :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shame about the rain spoiling your evening at the ballet. We were at Jimmy Barnes at the zoo the previous Friday (not quite so cultural but lots of fun!) and I said to DH last Friday that it was lucky were were there the week before as it had been a perfect evening. Then today I found myself listening to the news about the Queensland floods and envying their rain! It's definitely time for some cooler weather. Also, I saw you this morning as I was walking the boys to school. I was admiring your dress from a distance before I realised it was you (!) and then as you passed me I was too shy to say anything - sorry. I should have told you how lovely your blue dress looked. Anyway, I'm telling you now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meggipeg! did you really? I'm sorry I didn't see you. I wish you had said "hi"!

      Delete
  3. I love how the "stripes" run in your top.

    Speaking of spam, I advertise our eggs and milk on Craigslist, and get spam all the time. I get comments/replies like "are your eggs fertile", and "does the milk come from an udder". Dumb, stupid, and dumb :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I call those sorts of comments someone being cheeky. Spam runs more along the lines of :Hi! this blog is nice and it gives good reading, also visit my site "long and short term loans" (infinite variations on the name of their totally bogus site)

      Delete
  4. I am so enjoying your sketches and your handmade pledge. You will enjoy your basic top when the temps become cooler. About a month ago, I had to take action against spam also, it went crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sweater is adorable heat, now is winter time here so it looks pleasing to my eye ... sorry for the avalanche of spam, I took too long ago the same decision you .. it's crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carolyn, even though I live in sunny Florida in the US, tops like this are definitely a part of my winter wardrobe. No snow here, but it gets chilly! Custom fit makes it perfect, right?!

    I was annoyed at the spam on my blog but yours gets so much more! I would do the same. Time spent cleaning up spam = time you could be sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the fabric for your thermal, quite a cute little top. Much nicer than the generic thermals one can buy in the store.

    I completely understand the need for only comments from named people. Sigh... really, if so many people out there have NO life and need to occupy themselves messing up others, I could find PLENTY to keep them busy! The world is full of worthwhile projects, how sad so many can't have any life but ruining others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to cut anonymous comments too. The spam has been ridiculous lately.

    And nothing wrong with making practical thermals--you'll be so happy to have them once it cools down again! I hope the next ballet doesn't get rained out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cold does it get in Perth? I thought it was never cold enough for thermals - shows how little I know!
    Too bad about the spam. I've only had a couple, and I just take them down. Sixty would be way to many to cope with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karin; during winter we will get a smattering of days with a low of 2C, and high of 16C; these will be the few very coldest days of the year. This is probably not cold by the standards of a lot of places, but it sure feels cold to me! I guess it is a matter of acclimatisation. :)

      And I should point out, previously I hadn't got that much spam; before, I was getting about about 100 spammed comments per day and about another 10 would slip through the spam filter and get published. That sudden huge spike was weird, but it spurred me to take action.

      Delete
  10. Completely understand about the spam. I've had to disable anon posts and lock comments on post over 7 days old. To top it off, my blog is not nearly as popular as your own.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thermals in Perth sounds bizzare to me. We definitely need them in the UK. May I ask Is that top cut on the bias or is that the pattern in the fabric. I only ask as Ive just got a silk top and it is cut entirely on the bias and as you can imagine it fits like a glove. So warm as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louise; the top is cut on the grain and the stripe you see is printed on a slant like that. I know bias cut Tshirts fit beautifully, but I just did not have enough fabric for that! This one was cut as economically as possible from the leftovers from other projects.
      When English people come here they laugh at us in our thermals in winter :)

      Delete
    2. I imagine every day as glorious as your photos.

      Delete
  12. Good idea to think ahead & make some thermals. It would be awful to have to break your pledge because you had no warm vests....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am struggling at the moment with what to make. I see no point in more summer gear but it is too warm for anything resembling thermals either. You are obviously more proactive than me. I really need new thermals for winter. They tend to be the forgotten layer in my wardrobe.

    Those spam comments are doing my head in as well. I didn't know you could disable anonymous comments, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fabric epiphanies: if you go into "settings", then "posts and comments'; the options for you to select who can comment on your blog are there :)

      Delete
  14. You probably do make the thermal look sexy - it's about attitude, right? :) I can't believe the amount spam...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Carolyn, amazing the heavens opened on such an auspicious evening! I can't remember rain like that when I lived in Perth, not in summer. I do like the thermal - not a bubble in the hems at all - it's beautifully made. On warmer days it could be worn as a nice t-shirt as well. Layers are so handy. Sorry about the spam - luckily it was only nuisance, and not the really toxic stuff that can go on - I'm sure you would laugh it off, but some people get quite distressed. Love your sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your outdoor ballet sounds wonderful. Sorry it got postponed. Nice to have that perfect fitted T-shirt pattern, even if it's just being used for thermals this week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I love your thermal. And long cozy knit tops in general. If it's not 'hot' outside, I'm generally in at least 2 layers, well, 3 if my cami bra counts...then a tank or thermal-type, then a top layer. I get cold easily :-) I had not thought to make some extra long tees for myself - you've inspired me.

    Silly anon. spam...I never did let it in, so glad I did not! And something interesting...if I subscribe to follow-up on a comment I've written, and the blogger allows anon. comments, then I get them all in my email, regardless of whether the blogger has caught and deleted them!! Horrors!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have had to do the same with my comment moderation as the spam has gone crazy. I don't get a s much as you but it seemed to suddenly blow out. Who has time for that?

    I love a good thermie - makes your life so much more comfortable and if it goes over the hips all the better. Love your spangly skirt int eh next post too... good work ont he stash busting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the stripes in your thermal. :) I'm currently wondering if it will ever be summer again, in what is possibly Europe's Cloud Capital (we get approximately one sunny day a week during winter).

    Wow, I'm impressed you get that much spam. Hope the flood's over now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very nice to read this!!! As the winter knowing our door and the morning runs become colder, there is always a question that goes through the mind that how should we remain fit and fine during winters as cold basically make us weak. For this no doubt the better option is Ropa Termica.

    ReplyDelete