Sunday, February 3, 2013

Stuff

28th January-2nd February
(if you're new, I've pledged to wear only clothes handmade by me this year and to sketch my daily outfits in my Fashionary.  I'm calling this the paper doll project)
Thank you for those nice compliments on my Aquarius dress  :)
It was pretty hot that day, but my photos can attest to how insanely windy it was at the same time.... ideal bushfire conditions.  Today is even more hot, but not a breathe of wind.  At least that wind keeps the temps down a tad... but I don't know which is preferable; hot heavy stillness, or hot air blasting around?? tough call.
Whatevs; the paper dolls are trying to stay stylish but keeping cool is their biggest priority.

Summarising January's stash-busting efforts...
Straight-up I have to confess to buying one new piece of fabric this month... but I'm not counting it since it is not for me and I have already made it up.  It did not even get to nod to its buddies in the stash before it was flung in the washing machine, on the floor, and chopped and stitched up.  Results will appear here soon.. when its recipient can spare me a minute for a photo.
I used the teensiest wee corner of a veritable king-sheet-sized piece of blue jersey to make 3 tester bras and my newest lingerie set, so no discernible dent was made in that, really (not a win).   However, I did use a piece of lace that has been languishing in my lace box for goodness knows how long (win!)  and I refashioned one garment, which is not reducing the stash, but still a good feeling (win!)  I came to the aid of another in reducing her stash; when I made Cassie's sundress (a Good Samaritan win!)  
Overall; four garment sized pieces of fabric have disappeared from my stash this month... so I'm counting myself fruitfully engaged in the Year of Diminishing the Stash.

Now: OK, I can barely contain myself any longer.... I've bought something rather exciting, and I'm simply bursting with how much I want to show it to you here; have been chuckling with glee ever since I took delivery!  but it will have to wait for a bit; for one big, very important reason.  Give it a week or so  ;)

27 comments:

  1. My aren't you a tease! Now we can't contain our excitement until you show us.
    Good job with your stashbusting efforts! It's nice to hear how everyone is doing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wait with baited breathe for you to reveal whatever your temporarily "hiding" from us! Can I take a guess? - a new sewing machine??

    ReplyDelete
  3. My guess is a new puppy :) Though I can't think of a big important reason to hide it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm. The only thing I can think of could be something close to the heart, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thoughts too were a pet or maybe a bargain sewing machine find from a garage sale.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's pretty hot here in Port Hedland too... at least we've got a breeze today which helps make a difference. Really looking forward to the big reveal! Oh by the way thanks for the comment on my blog about WP comments... I found your post and left you a little tip that worked for me when I had the same issue and it might work for you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Teaser!! You are doing really well with your drawings and sewing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like all the dresses in 'your paper doll projekt'.
    Have a good hot day!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a tease you are! As if stash-busting and paper dolls weren't exciting enough.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are such a tease and I'm sitting here with my trackies and a cardigan on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Try to keep cool! What? A week or two? Can´t wait for so long!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooo am intrigued. Love the sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm hanging around waiting! It's good, whatever it is!

    Stay cool!

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, curiosity!! And it sounds like a good start to the stashbusting year! I'm looking forward to when I can finally jump in on this, because my stash certainly needs reducing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh the suspense! coming from you, i'm so curious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good job sewing up the stash! Hope that exciting item is a new serger or a puppy. But I'll stop guessing and wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey, don't tease! Is it a new machine? A cover stitch maybe?
    Good job on the stash-busting. I should really try and do something like that myself....
    Over here, the weather improved last week, getting less cold, I hope it will soon get a but colder where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are such a tease Carolyn. I admire how you can still look so stylish despite the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is just too cruel how can you be so mean keeping us in suspense.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are so funny! I can't wait to see it.
    We get stifling hot here too, but the other 6 months. I definitely want the breeze when its hot. I love your wardrobe, esp. the blue dress.
    Stay cool, fall is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stash busting is something I have always procrastinated. But iam into it now atleast for making my dresses. Dealing daughters dress or the ones for my etsy store would mean fabric hinting, which does not down me with guilt atleast? Hmmm what is it that you are teasing us with, I would love for you to have a serger or something... Anyways every sewista can never have 'too' many machines isn't it ? They all are essential ... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the 'paper doll' project - I succumbed and bought one of the books! Just need to start filling in my wardrobe - although I am far, far away from wearing me-made clothes for a year! Well done to you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ohh, come on, tell us!! Pleeease!! You're such a teaser! It's got my mind going 100 to 1 trying to think what it could be. I can only imagine.

    You did well with the stashbusting, much better than I did, but then I didn't really have much time either, not that I'm making excuses or anything. hehe! And, I'm sure, like you said, the undies pattern will get a lot of use now that I've started on it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I want to thank you for telling us/me all about your Fashionary! I have ordered one and can hardly wait until it arrives! I have been trying to set up something like it on my own for ages......now I don't have to!

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  25. Carolyn, ¡estás hecha toda una diseñadora, vaya cuaderno de inspiración!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very good stash busting. I'm looking forward to seeing this suprise: I just can't guess what it might be.

    ReplyDelete
  27. hmmmm, something for valentine's day? A birthday? I like your pledge for the "year of stash reducing" -- a pledge I ought to take too.!! I love your paper dolls, btw. so cute. but they look like you!

    ReplyDelete