Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pisces II


... the other fish!  Because we all know Pisces has two fish, right?  :)  although I'm afraid the best I could eke out was one and a half fish from the length I had!
I made a skirt for myself from the remains of the sparkly silver sequinned fabric.   I do think that when it comes to the problem of wearing a fabric of a colour and/or texture that you don’t really feel suits you: then having it in the form of a skirt, thus away from your face, is a terrific solution!

Although I am not sure as yet as to the wisdom of drawing attention to my hips, the widest part of my body by dressing them to closely resemble a disco ball, but we shall see...
I used Vogue 8363, and made the skirt to be a single pieced, double darted front, with deep, front slanted pockets, and a two piece, double darted back with a central invisible zip closure.  It is fully lined.  Basically the same as the little black skirt I made for Cassie, except that I made the silhouette a tad more A-line, rather than pencil.
I have another piece of ... er, dressmaking advice? a thought? for this sequinned fabric: I didn't want to blunt my good dressmaking shears on those sequins so I tried using my ordinary, cheap household scissors, that I use for paper, sticky tape, cutting open plastic food packaging and just about anything and everything household-y.  They worked like a charm! And I saved my good scissors :)
The pewter/silver silk dupion I used for the pockets, pocket lining and waistband was a scrap from the bundle of fabrics, given to me by my friend C from her late mother’s stash, and the grey polyacetate lining fabric was a small leftover piece from this maxi skirt; made years ago and long since passed to charity.  btw, I switched back to my good dressmaking shears again for the "proper" fabric  :)
The darts in the lining are not stitched but simply folded at the top, and the fold sewed down in the waistband stitching line.  This is a good idea when sewing skirt linings, it reduces wearing strain on the thin lining fabric.
I even had the right shade and length grey zip and hook and eye closure in my stash too.  So this is a terrific little stash buster skirt, using up a three smallish, different but nicely co-ordinating pieces of fabric which were individually awkward but whose joining together created a harmonious whole arguably more useful than if they had remained a pile of nicely co-ordinating scraps. 
And barely a skerrick of fabric is leftover.
Well, maybe just a skerrick…. ;)

Details:
Shirt; Burda 8497, white cotton, details here
Skirt Vogue 8363 fully lined, silver sequined stretch fabric, with pewter silk dupion pockets, pocket lining and waistband, my review of this pattern here.
Sandals; Misano

61 comments:

  1. such a fun skirt! wish i had some more sequins in my life. alas, as a medical student, there is little place for them. oh well. =)

    also, though i know it's pointless to tell another woman "you look amazing, i can't believe you feel self conscious" -- well, yep. you look graceful and elegant (and tall -- are you tall?), and i love your hair. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks gorgeous, especially paired with the white shirt! I love your mix of fabrics

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, p.s. apparently the secret for every lady uneasy 'bout her hips is to wear a super-sparkly silver skirt and stand in front of the ocean just after sunset. you could be the lady of the lake, arising seamlessly out of the water there. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! Great tip about wearing iffy colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great little skirt. Wear it to the market!! It looks great on the beach...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so pretty and classy... and not too disco-ball-y !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Classy skirt - I'm seeing more sequins and metallics in day wear. Country Road have a great look teaming skirts in these fabrics with khaki, wool and leather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And it has pockets! Must be the only sequinned skirt to ever have had pockets inserted :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely not a disco ball. I would have said mermaid with the fabric in that location. The fabric matches really well with the trim as does the top you have teamed it with. Bling is really in if the
    Oscars are anything to go by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both Cassie's dress and your skirt are sure to dazzle where ever they go. Two beautiful pieces to have so much fun with!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is beautiful!

    www.houseofvee.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous skirt. It looks really lovely paired with a simple white shirt. I totally agree with your tip about making colours or fabrics that don't suit your skintone well up as a skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that outfit is to die for - and never mind about your hips!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oooh! I love the last picture. It looks like the last sequence in a film, doesn´t it? The skirt is so gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! This skirt (& top) is stunning - I really, really, really want one!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is FABulous on you! Ultra hot and uber cool ;-) And I think the lines are very flattering on you. Isn't it fun to step outside the comfort zone? That seems to be a theme lately....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Carolyn this is just perfect. Agree with your theory about using the fabric as a skirt! As usual your photos are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fab-u-lous! It looks beautiful on you with the quiet sea behind. Just a gorgeous picture, and a stunning but simple skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks pretty darn smart to me! Not a mirror ball in sight :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ohhh, this looks fab! A great tip with the darts in lining as well!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Elegant! I would have never consider sequins to make a skirt with but yours is living proof of how good it can look! You are always so inspiring, Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful skirt! It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. your pictures are so beautiful, and the skirt is fantastic! a sequined skirt made from scraps... and pockets?! only in our little sewing world! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love it! Not at all disco ball! Its very elegant and classic.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Carolyn, me gusta muchisimo la falda y queda preciosa con esa camisa.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You and your creation are lovely, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely! Both Cassie's dress and your skirt are so very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  28. lovely skirt, nothing like a disco ball.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gosh what can I add to all these comments apart from ditto - btw I wish I had the same figure as you to worry about lol.

    ReplyDelete
  30. oh that's fabulous, very J Crew! i also completely adore the dress you made for Cassie, it's the perfect cocktail dress!! the scissors and denim needle tips are duly noted and filed away for when i get brave and sew up some sequins.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Stunning! I love the waistband and pocket details. The white blouse and sandals are the perfect juxtaposition to the sequins!

    ReplyDelete
  32. That is so glamorous, how beautifully dressed with the simple accessories and lovely wrap blouse.I am impressed that there are pockets in your sequinned skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  33. As always a beautiful make, but you get your photos spot on! This Pisces skirt in this light took my breath away!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Gorgeous skirt, and a perfect match with the sea :-). I love the idea of sequins with simple footwear too...

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love this outfit with the background of the ocean. So beautiful. I am curious about one thing - how did you sew darts in the sequined fabric? Because I am envisioning half-sequins getting stuck in the dart seam and then distorting the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I like this fabric as a skirt - it's a beauty. Lovely photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Dear Carolyn, you have no idea how much I enjoy reading your blog. So inspiring and encouraging for a novice seamstress. Now to find time to get a little sewing done with two little ones, a part-time job and other tasks to complete. I also love the Perth background pics - my husband is from Perth and we visit all the time, so it's nice to see the skyline and the lovely river.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Gorgeous. The skirt, you, the blouse, the locale - love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Ohhh! You look so beautiful ! I love both pieces. You really nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wonderful skirt it looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Another super successful project for you, Carolyn! Thanks for sharing the folded darts in lining tip.

    BTW, I think I'm saving the striped denim for my 2nd try at jeans :).

    ReplyDelete
  42. Beautiful skirt. You are so slim - please do not worry about hips. The skirt looks great on you. Wear it with pride!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh I am absolutely green with envy for your sparkly skirt. GREEN!!! It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  44. just gorgeous. I love the combination of sequins and cotton... up down. I think the skirt silhouette is smashing on you, hips and all.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Definitely more than the sun of it's parts. This is a fantastic skirt and a most complimentary backdrop. You shine like a star in it. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  46. It's beautiful! I love how you used up all those bits of fabric and that they all went together so well.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Oh my GOSH! That is the most gorgeous outfit I have seen this week. I am just dazzled by it. Nice work, Carolyn. I can't say enough how incredible this is.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Simple yet gorgeous. Beautiful spot. Great pics!!!!!

    Womens Clothing

    ReplyDelete