Saturday, January 26, 2013

Broderie anglaise

Fulfilling a filial request....  Cassie wanted a pretty little sundress for some upcoming parties.  Actually she was totally planning to make this herself, honest.  Well, that's her story and she's sticking to it! but her new career has left her with not as much free time as she thought she would have.
Ahh, the disquieting little thought-readjustments that come with one's first full-time job.  
Fortunately she has a Mum, willing (sorta) and able to step in.
The pattern is from Burdastyle magazine 05/2010, dress 114; a pattern I have used before to make this sundress for myself, and  Cassie has used the same pattern for herself once before also.  It is an utterly fantastica design for very hot weather; cool, practical, comfortable and pretty, and we have each independently and joyfully discovered that our dresses never fail to draw compliments.  Subsequently, Cassie wanted another.  Well, when you're on to a good thing....  ;)
I made the same modification to the back bodice that I did to my own dress to give complete lingerie coverage.  
The lower tier is sewn to a separate, slightly shaped lining piece, which is sewn to the bodice lining and which lies underneath the top tier.  So in this latest version of the pattern the two tiers are completely separate from each other.
Cassie chose the fabric, two different types of broderie anglaise cotton voile from Fabulous Fabrics, and I used a little of my precious horde of plain white cotton voile too.
The buttons and butonholes on the bodice whilst functional, are essentially decorative; since the dress is put on and taken off with a long invisible zip set into the side seam.
Above; note the ubiquitous hair-lacky bracelet.  I frequently wear one of those myself, too.
Voila, we have party dress.   Ees time to part-ay.

Details:
Dress; Burdastyle magazine 05/2010, dress 114, slightly modified; of white broderie anglaise, my review of this pattern here

34 comments:

  1. Oh so pretty, Carolyn! Such a nice Mum you are. ;-)
    I love Cassie's bracelet, I wear them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty summer dress! Great for the hot weather.

    LOL about the hair-lacky bracelet. This made me smile. Only one though? :) My DD wears at least five and since she rarely takes them off (you never know when you'll need them), she has a sun-tan mark on her wrist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!! The sundress too. :-) Seriously, Cassie is just gorgeous! But you already knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely dress that just exudes summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty Carolyn, I love this pattern, the double skirt is adorable and I can see why you both get compliments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely dress and I also love the one you made for yourself as well. No wonder you both get so many compliments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so pretty - its taken me a few minutes to work out what a hair-lacky bracelet is - lol just realised.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't need hair-lackies anymore... short hair is a boon for me! Lovely dress - I may need to go and check out this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous!
    I wish my mum would make me things. Cassie is a lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty. I am also guilty of wearing hair elastics as bracelets - LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this dress. This was the second Burda issue I bought and I remember wanting all those dresses badly. Both your versions are fantastic, easy to wear, specially to a summer party, yeah! Elastic hair bands! They are my usual bracelets,mine and my daughter's who always ask me to keep them for her in the swimming pool! Terrible the marks they leave on the skin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet dress. I really get the Mum to the rescue thing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely to have a mom who can sew! I love the idea of the side zip but would worry that the pull would chafe a sensitive area. With your skills I trust it does not, but that did cross my mind. Oh, the bracelet thing. It's not a fad I ever picked up, not being a bracelet person. They irritate me no end when I do occasionally wear them. My aunt Rita loved bracelets and I inherited many. I only wear the expensive ones, figuring they are the only ones worth the bother. I guess that makes me a snob...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty, and perfect for hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful dress! i love the tiered skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a pretty dress. And she has a great mum to come to the rescue!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very pretty! Looks airy and cool.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a pretty dress for Cassie, who is a gorgeous girl. And the hair tie, my girls have the same jewelry look!

    ReplyDelete
  19. lovely and perfect for summer. wish it was warm here. and now I know what broderie anglaise is, that fabric we call eyelet. I have some in the stash - maybe for a skirt this spring. your creations, inspiring as always.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So pretty on Cassie. My daughter has the same problem, wants to sew but time is limited. Great that we can help out. BNW - I love your dress too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So pretty and it really looks beautiful on her.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a gorgeous dress. And the style/fabric is so Cassie.

    ReplyDelete
  23. She looks great in this. It's perfect for summer parties, the white broderie anglaise is so pretty and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Carolyn... this dress is absolutely gorgeous... love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh pretty!!! ... and you have seen many times that I have exactly the same bracelet too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's so pretty! She is very lucky to have a mum like you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. ooohhhh!!!!!! So sweet!!!!!!!! I love the pattern and the fabric is absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Elle est superbe !
    Bonne soirée.
    ju'

    ReplyDelete