Thursday, January 24, 2013

Blue denim dress; 6 different ways

I made this cotton denim/chambray dress using Vogue 1152 about two and a half years ago.  It first appeared on the blog, along with my review of this pattern hereand it has always been a favourite player in my wardrobe.  The fabric is hard-wearing and casually comfortable, crinkles naturally and charmingly.  Comfort dressing, yes!
It's appeared here on the blog a whole tonne of times already, in daily outfit photos, in the me-made months.  In this year I've pledged to wear exclusively my own handmade clothes bar the shoes, these are some of the ways in which I can mix and match the dress.  
Actually, up until now rtw tights or maybe gloves have slipped into the equation... but not this time!  Whoo hoo!  I have linked to the construction posts of everything else I am wearing here.

At left;  committing the double denim crime... I'm wearing the dress layered over with a chambray shirt made of the same fabric, my scrumply Pattern Magic charcoal grey, spiral leggings and ankle boots.  Below right; what's this? double denim again!  Worn with my denim-look tights, green knitted hoodie and knotted blue scarf.  Incidentally, who ever said blue and green should never be seen?? I wear blue and green together all the time!  
Below left;  yes, well, I do love the layered look  :)  Here, a longline lace skirt does petticoat duty underneath the skirt, and a classic navy blue silk blazer pulls it all together smartly.  Raspberry pink sandals add a touch of cheerful colour.
Below right; for a more casual ensemble, this little jean jacket hoodie gives a more laidback sporty vibe to the dress.  It might not have appeared on my blog every often, but this little jacket is a favourite of mine already!
Below left; I do like to wear dresses over jeans sometimes, how they become transformed into a tunic. The colour of these ivory flared jeans picks up and accentuates the four rows of ivory piping on the bodice of the dress.  Below right; blue-and-green together again!  The dress is actually quite low-cut, so if I am going out where actual people might see me I will often stop to grab a scarf to throw on over the decolletage.  Adds some interesting colour, and saves blushes!  In this case I'm wearing two scarves twisted together to get a bit more colour happening... turquoise silk chiffon, and cobalt blue knotted jersey scarves.  Green and cobalt ballet flats echo the same colours.
These are just some of the different ways in which the dress can be mixed and matched to suit all the seasons.  Today I'm wearing the last aquatically-hued outfit, with the blue and green scarves and ballet flats, and I'm looking forward to wearing the others as the weather cools down more.  I'm rather chuffed that I could come up with all-rtw-free, workable outfits that I actually like!  

38 comments:

  1. Great post. I love all of these looks and you've really opened my eyes to see how you can wear 1 dress 6 ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely - I like all of the combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really inspiring posts. When I take the time to mess with things I can often come up with a batch of different looks, so I really should do this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice, love it with the petticoat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goh, I would have never imagined that pattern worked up in chambray! How fresh! SO love rhe interesting ways you have styled it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see why this is such a staple in your wardrobe! I love every single one of your styling combos on you :) The petticoat layers are a major head-turner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this dress! I stalk your posts on it. I especially like the last two outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great outfits! I bought some lightweight denim recently to make a dress, but have been a little nervous to choose a pattern and cut into it...for fear of it looking "home sewn" (and not in a good way). You have inspired me! I will keep thinking on it...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always enjoy these posts, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sparking creativity! I've just discovered your blog and am completely inspired by your skills, style, and and the completeness of your me made wardrobe!

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am intrigued that you can wear this dress so many different ways! I must admit, I wouldn't have thought of some of them and they do cover a good variety of weathers/occasions. I only own a couple of 'best' dresses but I will now consider whether I might make a casual one after all! X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the last one, which you are wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazingly versatile dress. I like all the looks you've come up with, but my favourites are the dress layered over the lace skirt and over the trousers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My favorite thing about that dress is how you made the sleeves without the gathers or elastic - making it very versatile. As your pictures show.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My favorites would be the last two.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these six ways posts! So much work for you though!
    My favourite is the last one. It just screams summer to me. And with slush on the ground here in London, that's pretty appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the combination between the cobalt blue knotted jersey scarves and your dress. With jeans it looks soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely combinations.. I love styling posts because show how the garment work in the wardrobe

    ReplyDelete
  19. You look fab. Yeah I don't get the blue and green can never been seen. If it looks good ... wear it, is my motto. Besides there are so many different shades of those colours that will go together, so blanket statements are not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think it's so cool that you can put together all 'your own handmade' outfits. I like them all especially the one with the hoodie and the last one with the two scarves.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the jean-jacket hoodie pic and all those scarves are a real treat! I guess our weather is slightly warmer, since the snow has largely melted. Dirty snow is not nice to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  22. nice dress...thankyou for your precious blog.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I must agree that your dress looks like a fantastic wardrobe stable. I made this dress twice myself and I confirm that the pattern is really great. And really really flattering for a triangular figure! Thanks for reminding me of this pattern -- I might make a third version soon!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's amazing how many very different looks you can get from one dress. I love the blue and green combination and that whole look. I wonder who made up the rule about blue & green?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I always love these posts! And I've never heard blue and green should never be seen. Those are two of my faves to combine, so I break that rule all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is a good reminder to look at garments in a different way - it is so easy to always wear things 'the same way'. I love the posts where you show us your variations!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesomeness! I love seeing how different looks can emerge from one item. What a fab and versatile frock!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very nice. Love the simple blue and white. I have always looked at this pattern and almost loved it but I have to say the big sleeves always put me off so really interesting to see that you changed them.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello Caroline - always an interesting blog from you - I have to take issue though with the offensive comment listed some blogs ago - I shan't repeat it - but your blog profile does say quite clearly that you are using this as a personal record - pity that the personal now becomes so public and open to that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. My favourites are the last two. With the white trousers it looks elegant and interesting, different. And I think the colours of the scarves are spot on for that denim.
    Love these posts, really!

    ReplyDelete
  31. PS - its hard to believe its the same dress at all, forgot to say that!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What does 'rtw' mean? I've seen in in a number of places in sewing blogs, but have no idea what it stands for.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Margaret; yes, sorry it is probably not very clear....! " RTW" means "Ready To Wear", which means readymade clothes bought in a shop. In the fashion retail world, RTW categorises clothes that are pre-made to standard sizes and sold off the rack, and are thus distinguished from custom fit or bespoke clothing (made to measure), and haute couture clothing (made to particular specifications in a haute couture house)...The sewing world has adopted the term RTW for its own use too, generally to refer to any clothes bought retail; and that are not made by yourself, for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I like 3,4 and 6. I especially like the "sporty" look of #4 - it seems I always gravitate towards that. Very versatile dress!

    ReplyDelete
  35. love the dress and have done so for ages., Is it really needing a zipper at the side. My zipper foot has broken and I don't know how to sew in a invisible zip anyway. could I get it on without s zip?? thanks... Sue.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue :)
      Actually, my version DOES really need that zip, since I made it quite close-fitting around my waist and the fabric is not stretchy. However, I always just use a regular sewing machine foot to put in my invisible zips. Years ago when I was teaching myself to put in invisible zips I didn't know a special invisible zip foot even existed so I learnt on my regular foot, and they have always been just fine. I hope that helps!

      Delete