Thursday, December 27, 2012

Stripey Sam; Sam's Christmas shirt

Next up; Sam! and I made a shirt for his Christmas pressie too.  Ohhhh yes, I have been a very very busy bee lately!
I used Burda 7767, and blue and white striped fabric from the Fabric Store, Melbourne...  bought during our trip there in September.  I think it is a cotton rayon mix, very crisp, crackly and crinkly, and it has silver lurex threads running randomly through as well.  I bought the white and silver buttons from Fabulous Fabrics.  This version has long sleeves, which can be rolled up and held in place by an arrowhead tab that buttons onto the sleeve, and a single pocket.
I received some complimentary comments about the stripe matching of the pocket on Craig's birthday shirt, and thank you  :) but the truth is that stripe matching a patch pocket is NOTHING compared to the stripe matching in this shirt. 
Particularly in the case of the two sleeve cuff plackets.   I performed multiple repeats of teeny tiny precision measurements...  checking and re-checking where the stripes were going to fall on the plackets in relation to the sleeve.  Anyone who has ever sewn a tailored detail like a sleeve cuff placket will know the precision required to get these looking nice and even and perfect ... and to get the stripes matching exactly like this as well?    (self high-five)  Truly I consider this one of the highest sewing achievements of my year!

Sleeve tabs... 
Of course the stripes on the pocket match up to those on the shirt too....
The armscye seams allowances are flat-felled on the inside using a gathering stitch on the sleeve cap to achieve this neatly on a curved seam; and the sleeve and side seams are French seams.

Shirt; Burda 7767 modified, my review of this pattern here; blue and white striped cotton mix with a silver lurex stripe

31 comments:

  1. Oh my, that is perfection for stripe matching just what we aim to achieve, well deserved high five.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, hat's off, that is a worthy high five and a lovely shirt too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such perfection! Beautiful! You have me convinced - I really must pin down my son for long enough the next time that he comes for a visit, to measure him up for a shirt pattern. Cranking out boxer shorts as presents is all fine and good, but a lovely shirt is so, so, so much nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your shirts! DH held still for his first sloper, but I need to make revisions. I discovered fork pins (by Clover http://www.clover-usa.com/product/0/240/_/Fork_Pins_%2835_Pcs%29) via Susan Khalji's Craftsy class. They hold things firmly and are great for holding stripes or plaids or intersecting seams absolutely still. You do need to sew over them to keep the magic alive until you're done, but the extra help they give is well worth the care. They make a great gift to yourself! A girl needs her toys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are rocking out those shirts. Another great one. Fantastic matching of the stripes too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both the shirts are outstanding! Lucky sons to have you whip up such trendy shirts. The shop purchased ones for this age group of guys certainly is lacking in quality and imagination...J...

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, that is some fierce stripe matching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another fabulous shirt - I will be avidly reading all these posts when I attempts shirts for hubby next year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my word, that is some amazing technique with the stripes, you are a goddess of stripe-matching!

    (removed previous post for bad spelling)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Carolyn, you have outdone yourself on all the shirts you've made for the men in your life. Each one is precisely stitched and beautifully designed...so inspiring! You have been busy! I hope you and yours had a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a rock star with the shirt construction, each and everyone is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely, just lovely! It is always such a great feeling when matching works out! Well done.
    ~Teri

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sure it has been said before me, but your family is really very very lucky to have you - the mastership and care and love you put in everything you do just cannot be bought! The shirt is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heavens, you have been working hard! I just made patchwork tote bags (lined) for everyone. Between sorting through to find appropriate scraps, a million trips between sewing machine and ironing board and all the measuring to make sure things worked out well, each bag took me 8-9 hours. I'm obviously very slow and completely inept compared with you. However, I got my reward when Bill's three children recognised fabrics from their grandmother's house: an old curtain, a 1969 tea-towel calendar and a former pillow covering, all in her signature pale, dusty green. Love the stripey candy cane to go with the stripey shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The shirts you made are gorgeous, every one of them! I consider it my holiday treat to look at the lovely gifts you've sewn :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The stripe matching is amazing. What a great fabric, and really suits him!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Te vas a convertir en toda una maestra de la sastrerĂ­a.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow. That stripe matching is beyond epic. I shall sit here in silent awe... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think we need to set you up with a concession on Jermyn Street! Another awesome shirt! Well done mom.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really impressive. Looks good on Sam and what a wonderful job you did. I really can't see myself making shirts voor DH, though I do make shirts for my little boy (but he is only 18 months old, so that's a bit different) - great excercise, that's true. When I see yours I still have a long, long way to go. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful! I usually cut these on the bias so I don't have to worry bout matching

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh I agree, that stripe matching warms my heart, fantastic shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have just caught up with your posts - I love all the shirts you have been making for your men. And with such precision too!
    I also LOVE the owls. Love them. May have to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Loverly bunch of shirts! Sending you a virtual high-five (since my arm isn't long enough to reach across the Pacific) for your perfection in stripe matching ability. Hope your family appreciates you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the shirts you have made for Christmas presents!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your Christmas presents are outstanding, and you had me convinced I HAVE to make a shirt for my husband. New year´s resolution and all that!
    Amazing work! And they didn´t find out you were working on their presents!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great shirt! I love reading your posts and seeing your projects. Can you share what your sewing area looks like? How many patterns do you keep and sew from?

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great shirt. I love Sam's sense of humour with the candy stripe pose.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for your post! It is very beneficial for me, you really do me a favor on this issue.
    cheapest runescape gold, buy cheap rs gold.

    ReplyDelete