So, the searing-est of searing hot scorchers are but just around the corner, and like a war-wife stocking her air-raid shelter before the blitz, I am laying in supplies... I have made a new pair of shorts using Burda 7723, altered by lengthening and flaring the legs slightly, and adding a zip placket.
This is the eighth thing I've made using this pattern... yeah, so I've come to the conclusion that this pattern is one totally cruddy pattern which does not work for me at all... hehe, joking! Just seeing if you were paying attention. Obviously, this has been one of my favourite and most used patterns.
The green gingham was given to me by my friend C from her late mother's stash. I can tell it is a really old old fabric, a cotton gingham of a solidly satisfying quality you just don't see very often anymore. Seriously, I don't want to come across all "oh-all-modern-stuff-is-crap-compared-to-the-good-old-days" since I think that is not true at all: but; a Case in Isolation... like the proverbial man; good gingham is hard to find now. This is a very good gingham; crisp, strong, thick and tightly woven. The white has slightly yellowed to a pale-ly creamy ivory through age, but as this suits my colouring I consider it a plus.
There is actually something rather special about my new shorts.... :)
this is the very first garment fully made on my baby sewing machine; my tiny elna Opal, that lives in our beach house! YES!
Also, I also belatedly realised that my baby machine does not have a zip foot, meaning I had to insert the zip using its one and only foot, a regular wide one. So the front fly top-stitching around the zip turned out a wee bit wonky... but that's OK. Seeing those sweetly crooked stitches on my machine's very first garment is like looking at my child's very first piece of kindergarten art.
Likewise, the baby machine does not do buttonholes, that I can work out anyway: so instead I handstitched a keyhole buttonhole using embroidery thread in a tight blanket stitch. Another example of a maybe higher quality finish than I would otherwise have employed! Maybe I should make more things while I am away from my "real" sewing machines :D
Just for fun, and "why not?" I added strips of bias-cut gingham in the pocket opening edges. I was planning to put some welt pockets in the back with bias-cut welts too; but the unheard of happened, and disaster struck... I ran out of thread!
(heard in Perth, all the way from Dunsborough) "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Oh well. It's not like one ever uses rear pockets... they're just for show and I guess there's already plenty of visual interest happening with the check and all. But once something is in my head and I haven't been able to see it through; it's Unfinished Business and niggles at me. Hate that. Maybe I'll bring these shorts down again the next time and put those welt pockets in... maybe. We'll see. :)
Shorts; Burda 7723, green cotton gingham; my review of this pattern here
Top; the ponytail top from Pattern Magic 3 by Tomoko Nakamichi, green jersey, details here
Shoes; bensimon, from seed
Hat; Country Road