Thursday, December 20, 2012

Blood Orange top; 6 different ways

Hey y'all peeps.  
I've been having a play around with my blood orange Vogue 1247 top... trying out different ways to wear it.
So... I might have said this before, once, or twice, or twenty times  ;)  but I absolutely love brainstorming in my wardrobe trying out different outfits like this.  It never fails to inspire me with new and different ways to wear my clothes.  I frequently get tired with everything in my wardrobe and crave to break free of the little "outfit ruts" I get into; and experimenting with unusual and different combinations really keeps my pieces interesting to me and helps my wardrobe to achieve the fullest variety of which it is capable.
Having said that; I have to admit that the first two looks are the two ways I wear this top and its older twin the clementine top, just about all the time.  But, I'm setting my sights on breaking free from that  :D

Below left; unadorned and no frills, it is the perfect thing to wear with shorts on a really hot hot summer's day at the beach or around the house.  Cool and airy enough for the hottest of hot days.  Colourwise, I also adore the unexpectedness of this sombre claret against the shocking pink too.  Below right; pop on a sludgy little skirt, cute ballet flats and throw on a couple of entwined skinny scarves, and the top looks quite smart enough to sally forth on some errand requiring a bit more style.
Below left; on very hot summer days you might want to wear a dress with spaghetti straps, but need to protect your shoulders from the sun.  Cardigans are too hot and cloying to even contemplate, but a light boxy top like this is comfortable and cool and fits the bill quite well.  And looks sort of boho-chic too...  Below right; I know we all in the sewing blogging world have been conditioned into thinking that this top must be worn hanging out! and I have sure been guilty of this too... well not necessarily!  I actually love how it looks when tucked into a high waisted skirt as well.  Looks pretty cute like this, yes?  I was also serendipitously thrilled to discover that the top is just about a perfect colour match for my high heeled caramel wedges too  :)
This top is just made of cotton, and therefore it's not really suitable for really cold or winter-y days.. but it can still be worn as part of a cooler weather ensemble and not look silly imo...
Below left; sometimes, y'know you just want a bit of that colour, added into your outfit??  worn like this, I like how it looks peeping out as just a layer of colour layered over a long skirt and under a shorter jacket, and co-ordinating with a matching scarf and boots.  Below right; being quite loose, it can also be comfortably worn over an insulative Tshirt, with jeans and a skinny scarf.  I've always liked this slightly grunge-y double-top look, with shorter sleeves worn over longer. 
Actually I really love both these last two looks.   I just wish I'd thought of them during our winter just gone!  Aah, well, there's always next year  :)
Which look am I wearing today?  well being quite a fairly hot day and having errands I am sporting the green ballet flats, the sludgy little skirt and twisted blue and black scarves.  I love dark sludgy colours made just slightly edgy with just an unexpected splash of bright colour.  Kinda reminds me of Tron.

(And incidentally I've done something new with this 6-way post... I've linked to the construction posts of all the other garments appearing in the outfits here.  Please let me know if this is helpful or interesting, and whether you think it is worth my continuing with this... thanks  :)  )

22 comments:

  1. What a treat! I love these posts you write.
    My favourite, hands down, is the one with the blue skirt.But very close is the layered version. It is different and interesting. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes! The links back to the posts are most helpful. And all views of this top look super, just such an extremely workable colour...J

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure do love the color of that top. So unusual. I also like it tucked in. I made a version of this pattern in polyester and I actually prefer it tucked in. I wear (correction: wore- before my big pregnant belly) with a higher waist skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the 3rd and 6th ways! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the winter looks too. I like the idea of trying this pattern in a heavier jersey as a layering top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire your creativity in finding so many ways - and taking the time - to try all the different looks. Who'd a thunk that this top could work for (slightly) cooler weather!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Because it's hot here today, I go for the top with pink shorts.
    Your layered looks are great, as are your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always find your posts thoughtful and am very happy that you linked the other garments as well back to their posts... makes it much easier than doing a Google search to find them

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a very versatile top and I love the last outfit. Its very chic. Looks like you had great fun playing with your clothes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your "six ways" posts! You are so creative. I like the cool weather version with trousers, maybe because it is cold and damp here at the moment!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoy these posts and including the links to the other garments is definitely helpful. The contrast with the blue skirt is amazing. I'd never have thought to put those two together. The last look also just sings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the last photo the best and my next favourite is number 3, over the dress. Wearing it in does work well, creating an interesting dress-like shape. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, the links are keepers! I like these looks very much--they would definitely be unexpected color combos (for me), but they work. I think my favorites are looks #3, 4 and 6. (I can't decide!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. REALLY like that last look, with the pants!
    and i find the links very helpful -- as a *very* newbie sewer who hasn't yet made a wearable garment, i really love looking through your archives of thoughts and experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  15. clever you, how do you find so many combinations? I get stuck in an outfit rut sometimes. and yes the links are helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your outfit posts, a unique signature of your blog. The links back are really great; I'm always curious about the patterns involved!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the last two outfits best. Very stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the linking! I usually remember the original post, but it's fun to have an easy way to go back. But since I understand how much work it can be to put those links in, if no one else cares, I know I could find them by myself without too much trouble, if you didn't add the links.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love love love the last look with the t-shirt underneath. And the linking is useful to find things on your blog you've made before I started following you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very interesting to see different outfits! I like with blue skirt very much! I should make something like this too%)

    ReplyDelete