Saturday, November 3, 2012

Blood Orange


Is it a given that all my Vogue 1247 tops will have citrus-y nomenclature enforced on them?  First clementine, and then blood orange....... aaaaand theeeeeeen?
We shall see, we shall see about that....   ;D
Anyhoo, it was always a given that there will be more of these tops in my life.  Now the weather is warming up beeeayoutifully I dug the pattern out again.... there really should be some sort of award for best pattern of the year or something.  Oh, that's right! there is and this pattern is!
Fancy that!
So, what you may not realise straight away, but which I shall hasten to enlighten you asap, is that this is not just the same pattern as my first clementine version, but actually the very same fabric too.  Yup, the very same!  Except that it has been dyed with iDye in Brown, … to imbue the original pinky-orange with the deep, rich, sophisticated mahogany that awaits one inside a blood orange.  The warp and the weft; originally a light pumpkin and a bright neon orange, picked up the brown dye to become nutmeg brown and burgundy respectively...
This same fabric also played a supporting role in this post too, providing an appropriately, complex-ly colourful backdrop to some also dyed underthingies.
Now it has shed its one dimensional role as just a prettily colourful piece of fabric folded in the stash, and join instead the brave new 3D world of Things One Actually Puts On.
So, fronties; backies.  Because of a lack of fabric I cut the back pieces on a centre fold.
The pointies meet up just exactly as they should…
all French seams-ies…
Lingerie strappy thingies…. These were a gift from the gorgeous Yoshimi.  Thank you Yoshimi!
I didn’t realise at first, until I was filling in the details bit I always put at the end of every post; that the skirt I am wearing it with here is in with the same pattern as the top, and is also dyed with iDye in Brown too.  Hmmm, predictable, repetitive, stuck in a rut; or what?
Maybe I need to get me some new patterns, or new dyes, or new ideas or something…
Kidding of course,  This pattern is da bomb!  This may not even be the last version to be seen here on the blog this year….  stay tuned!

Details:
Skirt; Vogue 1247, red cotton velveteen, ombre dyed with iDye in Brown, details here, and my review of this skirt pattern here
Shoes;  from Misano

30 comments:

  1. Everything looks so chic on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge fan of this pattern, too. I've made the top twice and the skirt once, and have plans for other makes. I love the mahogany shades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more: the pattern is one of the best. The shade you achieved is very pretty. It is funny how it looks so different from some photos to the others...or is it my phone?
    I had to add those strappy thingies as you call them (I don't even know the spanish name) to my version, much more comfortable to wear! Thank you for those little details, they are very useful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great outfit - I love your dying tips! I have just received this pattern in the post and am looking forward to making it up.
    BTW - my lemon tree has finally started producing, so I am making limoncello this week-end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you!!
    Merche; yes, my full length photos were taken in the evening just before sunset, while my close-ups were taken in a much softer, diffuse, indoor light. It's amazing the difference the quality of light makes to colours.
    As always; I did not re-touch or alter my photos at all except for cropping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great dyeing tutorial and lovely hue achieved!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful vibrant earthy colours. Screams Aussie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very very nice, Carolyn :) and the photo is divine..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Carolyn, May I come over for a dyeing lesson? And whilst I am there will you run me through matching niggardly angles? You are so good at making Beautiful clothes, in which you look gorgeous. I love this top as much as the earlier one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read the other day, that you should never use a pattern once, unless it was a total disaster. The idea is that you iron out all the fitting issues and glitches the first time you make it. Then after that one can make variations to the basic pattern. So you are right in the ball park as far as that goes Carolyn.
    Lovely top and practical as well for stifling weather.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never get tired of this pattern and neither do you it seems. It is a great idea to dye the fabric and it ties in beautifully with your background. I also omitted the back seam in my last version. I don't think I mentioned that in my post...doh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great color, great pictures (the light is wonderful)! Love the French seams too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your top looks great, I've always wondered about this pattern I think I should put it on my shoppping list. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bloody great! (sorry) I'm impressed how you got the points to all match up. I might try a similar fabric next time I make this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bloody great! (sorry) I'm impressed how you got the points to all match up. I might try a similar fabric next time I make this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Carolin,
    That's a great version of the pattern. A long time ago I dyed fabric more often.
    I made this Pattern once with a lovely thin dark bue fabric an I used "Lingerie strappy thingies" too. Than I learned to do it "homemade". Therefor I use small snap fastener and a thread chain. You can see it in my blog.
    I highly like the practice you do the photos in the wonderful nature.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't experimented with dye other than when I used tea to dye my trim for my Chanel jacket.

    I didn't notice the points at the front from the pattern cover. Love both the top and the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how you put this: "the brave new 3D world of Things One Actually Puts On". That totally makes me smile. Lovely color too; and the seams are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Blood orange is such a gruesome name for such a lovely colour; obviously one of your signature colours. Do you actually use those lingerie strap things? I tend to cut them out of most of my garments as they flop around an annoy me no end.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your versions of V1247. Yep, it's a great pattern. I have two tops and one skirt already and see a few more on the horizon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a pretty shade of brown. I love this pattern, too, though I've only made it once. I should make another! I love your photos, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. you have made such a success of this pattern, both pieces. great sunset photos.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have this pattern too and plan to make both skirt and top soon. I would love to source some of those lingerie thingys - they would be perfect for many garments. Your dying tips are very helpful too :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks fab. I have this pattern on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great colour! Love it/them!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Funnily enough the day your post popped up - I was sitting reading my blod reader on my iphone - wearing Vogue 1247 top & bottom as well. It really is the Best Pattern EVER.
    Better still I was stopped in The Fabric Store in Sydney by a customer who wanted to know if I had made my gorgeous top, what was a pattern and where did I get teh fabric.
    Good thing it's got a big neckline so I could fit my fat head out of the top later that night :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Funnily enough the day your post popped up - I was sitting reading my blod reader on my iphone - wearing Vogue 1247 top & bottom as well. It really is the Best Pattern EVER.
    Better still I was stopped in The Fabric Store in Sydney by a customer who wanted to know if I had made my gorgeous top, what was a pattern and where did I get teh fabric.
    Good thing it's got a big neckline so I could fit my fat head out of the top later that night :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the outfit and the gorgeous styling of the photo. I have this top high on my summer sewing list.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is so beautiful, Carolyn! And your photography is stunning. I am really drawn to this top, although I'll confess I'm afraid to make it up. I don't think it would look so flattering on me as it does on you. Of course, seeing it made up in that fabric isn't helping me resist my own version...

    ReplyDelete