Sunday, November 18, 2012

All laced up with nowhere to go

I'm joking... of course I've got lots of nice places to go  :)
I've made a lace skirt.
My very luvverly, very perceptive friends again gave me a Fabulous Fabrics voucher for my birthday.  Ohhh, they know me so well  :D
I try to do justice to their annual awesomeness by adding something appropriately beautiful and worthy to my wardrobe... last year's voucher became the red dress, my favourite cocktail number; and then the spiral leggings.  Ok, the leggings were not-so classic but nonetheless a very designer-y perennial and something I am still pretty pleased with.
Anyhoo, I'm returning to the classics with this year's birthday voucher ... ta da.
I used my voucher for this pale latte coloured, heavily configured lace and a length of caramel coloured silk charmeuse for the lining/underlining.  For the waistband I used a piece of grey/beige handkerchief linen leftover from a little something else I have made very recently; that has not appeared here on my blog yet ... it's kind of a secret for the moment.  To be appearing in due course  ;)
The shapes of the pieces in this skirt are kind of based on those of a beautiful Chanel skirt I checked out while we were in Milan.  I saw a skirt of heavily configured lace like mine, fitted but with no waist shaping darts, all the shaping in the side seams so as to minimally disturb the lace design, and a shaped, narrow yoke/waistband.  I saw and I liked.  I took note.
I used Vogue 1247... !  yah, you'd never have guessed, right?  :)  The pattern has been fairly drastically altered: with the pieces spliced together, minus the pockets and re-configured to eliminate the waist shaping darts.  The dart allowance has instead been removed from the side edges so as to not spoil the lace design; also the pattern normally features a high straight waistband, and I have lowered this a touch and shaped it into the waist also, so it is more like a narrow yoke than a waistband.  
This is a great solution to the dilemma of fitting a lace skirt with minimal marring of the lace design.
The top of the skirt sits lower, at my natural waist.  The centre back seam has the invisible zip closure, and is a straight seam with perfectly matched lace motifs.  I hand-basted the zip in place, and the seam before machine stitching, in order to match up the lace motifs as well as I could.

The silk charmeuse underlining/lining skirt has all French seams.  Instead of sewing the darts in place I folded the dart allowances into pleats which are just folded at the top and stitched in the seam allowance.  This is a better way of treating the darts in a skirt lining; less strain on the fabric.  This is another feature I've seen in high-end skirts.
I wore it for its maiden voyage here in a formal ensemble to go to a Christmas function; showing it off, tizzying it up y'know  ;)   but I will also treat this as an everyday little thing, grunge-ing it down with casual loose tops.  I'm picturing it with my khaki army shirt, or my billow-y white shirt.  I'm very partial to that high/low look y'know.  Very me.  :)
Toodles, friends!

Details:
Skirt; Vogue 1247 heavily modified, latte lace with caramel silk charmeuse lining and linen waistband, my review of this pattern here
Blouse; Vogue 1170, ivory silk charmeuse, details and my review of this pattern here
Shoes; Misano

66 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning! Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely colour and beautiful lace, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another gorgeous piece. It looks lovely with that top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beeyooootiful!! What a fabulous skirt. I want one! And just perfect with that top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn, I think this is my favourite of your skirts!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely skirt! I have been reading your blog for a while and just want to tell you how much I enjoy it. Your projects are beautiful and the photographs are as well. You inspire me to sew more and to sew better. I especially enjoy seeing how you reuse fabric and refashion clothing in truly gorgeous ways. I look forward to each of your posts- thank you for brightening my days with your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely elegant classic skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your skirt and you were so right to use this pattern. I plan on redrafting this pattern for my own projects in future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! And it fits you perfectly. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh boy..you have just blown me away with this one. I'm having palpations over here! I love everything you have shown, but his lace skirt tops everything. And the top you are wearing with it.
    My wardrobe pales in comparison.
    Maybe someday I sit down long enough to re-learn some sewing skills. Until then, I'm just going to have to drool over yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely stunning! oh wow. You look so so nice. Skirt, Blouse i love so much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, this is divine,just so beautifully elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just about threw myself down on the floor and thrashed about in wonder - what a sensationally simple yet amazingly stunning skirt. LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful skit looks lovely with you blouse. Great idea to move the shaping into the sides.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So very lovely! And a fabric voucher must be the best birthday present I've veer heard of.
    Thats a great tip for eliminating darts on lace. It looks like it worked really well too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Yup, that about sums up my thoughts right now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just beautiful! I love the blouse too

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous lace Carolyn. The colour is great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very, very pretty. A beautiful addition to your wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Classic and elegant and very you! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So classy!! I can totally picture you you wearing that in Milan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Absolutely beautiful - I can hardly believe it's from that pattern. If you have the time would you consider a quick demo in moving the shaping from the darts to the sides?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous skirt and I like Robyn I would like to know the same.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That lace is gorgeous. I love the look and can well imagine you grunging it down or glitzing it up. Grunge and Glitz...there's an idea for a blog name...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just love that outfit, the lace is so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh so perfect! Thanks for the peak at the inside workings...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Some great tips here! Such a femninly gorgeous skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would have never guessed this was V1247. Really! You amaze me every day! I take note of the lining treatment.
    You look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Did not recognize the pattern! And what a lovely skirt it turned into.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a gorgeous skirt! I can NOT believe you achieved such a fitted style without darts. Does the lace have some sort of stretch to it? Also, that color is perfect to dress up or down.

    ReplyDelete
  31. The color of the lace is just gorgeous. I recently saw a lace skirt very much like this in a magazine and I've been on the lookout for a similar lace since. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  32. fabulous - and you are reading my mind. I just started playing around with that skirt pattern also to use for a different style. Stop stealing my ideas, ha ha ha. Lovely version, and what nice friends :) you did them proud.

    ReplyDelete
  33. that is such a beautiful looking skirt worthy of the gift vouchers.

    ReplyDelete
  34. You certainly did justice with that gift certificate! And created more beauty for us to admire!

    I too, am curious about rotating the waist darts out. I've been messing with a knit skirt and I think I'm simply going to do it with a doing the obvious!

    Good to see Sienna again, too!

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  35. oh my goodness, this outfit is absolutely stunning! I love the simplcity of the lines and the uncomplicated pallet. You know I love all your outfits but this is definately my favourite - fab-u-lous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love this skirt! Its so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Carolyn,

    You have the most amazing wardrobe...and your sewing skills are just superb! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I don't know why, but the first thing I noticed about your blog photos (besides the amazing skirt) is that your dog is on a leash! Haha. Love the skirt and would like one for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Stunning skirt with all the designer details - very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Your lace skirt is so lovely! What lovely friends indeed to be giving you a fabric voucher every year! The reference to your spiral leggings reminded me that I still need to make some.

    I've seen that pleat in the lining detail too and so much nicer, if only I would remember to do it!

    I'm intrigued by this secret project of yours and look forward to you sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  41. GORGEOUS as always. Every garment you sew is pure gold!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wowsers! This is simply stunning. Just wow.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi Carolyn - this skirt (&top) is stunning! I have only recently discovered your blog and am constantly amazed at your endless talents - ou have inspired me to try a bit harder with my sewing! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  44. A truly gorgeous outfit.Well done!
    (Sienna looks pretty fine too)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Of all the lovely things you have made, this is my absolute favourite. Really beautiful skirt - and great with the top.

    Jan ( long time lurker !)

    ReplyDelete
  46. stunning!!!! that lace is amazing! love the top too; the whole outfit is just beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. mmmm, this is perfection! I am totally in love with the blouse too. Aaaah!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I am drooling—this is so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. This is a really beautiful outfit. The lace is stunning and you have completely done it justice on this skirt. It amused me that you and Sienna are looking in completely different directions in the first photo. If she was just a slightly different shade, she would match that lovely skirt colour!

    ReplyDelete
  50. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  51. So lovely! And the nude color really suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I love that you altered V1247 to make this absolutely beautiful skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  53. So, so beautiful. And a perfect matching with the equally gorgeous silk blouse. You look a real delight!

    ReplyDelete
  54. It's beautiful, Carolyn! Love your choice of lace.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Yes, I agree, really beautiful lace. I love those scallops in it. And these colors together are very subtle and elegant on you.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Absolutely gorgeous. The lace is beautiful and the skirt another classic that is right no trend these days. Gosh, if I had no where to wear that skirt, I would at put it on for morning tea or to walk the dog! But I do love your idea of grunging it up some...it would be perfect that way!

    ReplyDelete