Monday, October 22, 2012

Of the palest blue

I still have one or two really lovely pieces of fabric given to me for pressies last Christmas, as well as from my birthday last year (blush) Beautiful fabrics that I have been too chicken to take the scissors to.  I know, ridiculous, right?!
Including a length of luscious powder-blue silk from Fabulous Fabrics, given to me by Cassie. 
This is a pure silk, but an unusual silk like none I have ever come across before.  The texture is very slightly rough and "grab-y", almost suede-like; but somehow it still manages to be ripply and totally divinely soft against the skin.
No kidding, it's like wearing a pale blue whisper.  
I've given staaaacks of thought as to what to make with it... and eveeeeentually made a decision.  Hey, I'm a Libra yo.
I really love my billowy black shirt, made last year.  It is so easy to wear and I feel so so good in it.  I feel like it is really flattering.  I love the shawl collar, the elegantly draped and gathered sleeves.  It is close to being perfect, and I wanted to make another one sorta similar, with a few modifications.

When I laid my pieces out on the fabric and realised I was going to end up with an unacceptably large piece of leftover fabric... aaagh!  More scissor-phobia and had to immediately pack it all up for a bit more thought.  And finally came up with a plan; yes, I still wanted my shirt, but I thought I might be able to squeeze a little petticoat from the leftovers... and I did!  Just!!!  And I have absolutely NO leftovers! Whooeee!
I had to cut the two back bodice pieces of the petticoat on the cross, and piece together one of the shoulder straps, but whoa!  Self high-five!  The high that comes with achieving zero waste in a project is pretty darn extra euphoric, yes?  No??
Hmmm.   
Maybe I need to get out more  :D


The nitty-gritty:
For my shirt/tunic: I used the same basic shirt pattern as for my billow-y black shirt, with some minor fitting modifications too; the bodice is based on Burdastyle 10/2010, shirt 102 (my review of this pattern is here), the shawl collar is adapted from Burda 8218, and the sleeves were partially based on those of my black blouse for which I used Burdastyle 5/2010 dress 101.  But I have to confess I didn't use the pattern piece this time but drew a different one.  The sleeves have a shallower sleeve cap, are shorter, slightly more slim-line and not quite as bell-shaped; as the sleeves on my billow-y black shirt.
Another modification was to make it a tunic top rather than a shirt, with the front cut in one piece and with a half opening.
below; insides-ies...

The beautiful pearlescent marquise-diamond shaped buttons were a gift from the lovely ElleC, thank you ElleC!  Snipping these buttons off of their card was another little hurdle that made me hesitate for a day or two, gathering strength; but eventually I forced myself to acknowledge that my new silk tunic was deserving of the very best buttons too  :)  Initially I sewed them on vertically but they popped open like nobodies' business, so I re-sewed them on the horizontal which helps them stay buttoned up.

For my petticoat: I used Burda 8071, a terrific basic pattern I have used ten times before; for ten different dresses and petticoats.  This is the eleventh!  To see a gallery of my previous versions of this pattern, go here  :)  The bodice is lined with ivory silk charmeuse, leftover fabric from this top.

All the seams in both garments are French seams and all other raw edges are finished with HongKong seaming, in a lightweight ice-blue cotton leftover from this shirt.  The one exception to this is the armscye seams in the tunic; I initially finished them with HongKong seaming but decided they were too bulky and made a bit of a hideously unacceptable lumpy-bump on my shoulder  :((  so I unpicked it all, trimmed the heck out of them and finished them on the overlocker instead.  
Sometimes, one's quest for perfect inner appearances must be ditched in favour of perfect outer appearances after all... hehe.

Details:
Tunic; my own design, adapted from several patterns, powder blue silk
Petticoat; Burda 8071, powder blue silk and lined with ivory silk charmeuse
Belt; of emu leather, from luxe boutique (sadly no longer open)
Sandals; Pedro Miralles, from Soletta shoes

Just some housekeeping: I have no idea why, but I have been unable to comment on Wordpress blogs lately.  I type in a comment but it totally disappears... what is with that? So, to my Wordpress blogging friends, sorry!  I am reading, and trying to comment  :(

38 comments:

  1. Very lovely design Carolyn, i love how u put the buttons in the tunic halfway n seeing the inside if that-what is it called?placket?yoke? Facing? and the fabric looks pretty heavenly to wear too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice set! BTW do you make your photo yourself? I mean self-timer on photo-camera?

    I have the same problem with wordpress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lookin' good. Re WP blogs: They may have comment moderation activated so your comment will reappear after they've approved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both piece are great! You will get a lot of wear out of the both with other pieces :O) too I bet.

    I would so wear that shirt with a pair of black leggins. I seem to be in a leggins phase for this fall. ummm are they "in style" I have no idea LOL, but they are comfy and I like longer comfy shirts, so it works :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! That is the most beautiful pale blue. It's the perfect shade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a gorgeous color and i know exactly the texture you're describing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the perfect nose: thanks, but I don't think that is it. Don't they usually pop up with "your comment will appear after approval" or some such notification? And I just tried again on your blog and the same thing happened, so unless you have moderation activated, there is some problem with my sign-in... HELP!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this new outfit! And the fact that you were able to get two great garments out of this piece of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pale blue, it sounds beautfil to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh silk. I wish I had access to such delicious fabric. You have chosen a very timeless style to make it into. I am sure it will get a lot of wear. Love the way you are glamming up the supermarket!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is stunning! I love the fact you managed to make two pieces o get zero fabric wastage! It would have been so difficult to make that first cut so I salute you. Love how this has turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think your trepidation to cut such pretty fabric is silly, I have a couple pieces like that! Some I've used and it's been fabulous but some I'm still waiting for the right project to come along! Particularly one that will use up every single inch as you have managed!

    You fabulous and oh how I want to touch this fabric from the way you have described it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks so elegant and comfortable to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That colour is just so cool and refreshing. The finish is just beautiful. I need to learn some of you skills and patience to use French and Hong Kong finishes throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aaaaah Carolyn.........you are my biggest inspiration at the moment!!! Just love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is a wonderful feeling to have no leftover fabric! I give my leftovers to a a very grateful, local pre-school, but still...
    This is such a beautiful, timeless outfit. It's somehow tailored, yet feminine. The red shoes are a great foil to the soft powdery blue of your silk fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  17. love the whole ensemble - understand completely what you mean about not wanting to cut into the fabric - I was/am like that with some beautiful Linton Tweed I have.

    ReplyDelete
  18. With the blog comments issue I would try another browser, if you have one. I get that quite frequently with Firefox and just post the comment again with IE (very annoying of course). I read somewhere that it's to do with caching or something, so the other option would be to try clearing caches etc.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautifully made and love the fabric description. A ble whisper...so evocative.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful! Good job w/ the fabric economy. That silk is so luxurious; I love that you paired it with the grocery carts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I almost smacked my computer when I foudn your comments in the spam folder - how rude!!
    It looks as if you are being picked up in the Akismet spam filter for some bizarre reason.
    I check my spam folder most days so I would advise your WP readers to do the same and you will appear just not immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Where do I start! Love the whole ensemble, the colour and the insides look superb!. It is funny, I´m about to blog about my "rock&roll" blouse, same pattern! The 10/2010 102. What are the odds?
    Thank you for the "accents" link, It is very helpful for me, really, and you are very brave indeed, stage fright, I would have been paralized!

    ReplyDelete
  23. As usual, you have me headed off to my sewing room to see what I can rustle up out the stash! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your description of this blue silk, I can almost feel it on my own skin! The blousy top works great with the slim skirt...and I see the handle on the shopping cart matches your shoes. Was that deliberate photography?

    ReplyDelete
  25. very lovely and I like the juxtaposition with the shopping carts, great photos. (also I agree - the inside can look any old way if it achieves perfection on the outside)

    ReplyDelete
  26. You look so pretty! I love your look.

    Would you like to follow each other? :)
    http://linde-lo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a soft and lovely look. It was a perfect choice for that gorgeous gift fabric, Carolyn ....don't you love being able to use up the last bits of fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful blouse, that fabric sounds luscious, wish I could touch it! I am so glad you found a use for the buttons, they look lovely with the blue.

    I had the same problem with Wordpress last week (I think), on one blog I attempted to comment four times, eventually two showed up. It wasn't a blog that is moderated either. Very strange.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely shirt and petticoat. That pale blue looks fabulous on you.

    Thank you for the recommendation of the Burda petticoat pattern. I'm a bit surprised to see it has a zip in it. I've never work a petticoat with a zip, does it feel bulky under another garment?

    ReplyDelete
  30. that fabric makes me feel all emotional lol - beautiful job as always!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  31. janessewandtell, I am replying here since I am having a problem with WP
    The Burda pattern I used; 8071, is not a petticoat pattern but a dress pattern, so of course it has a zip otherwise one would not be able to get it on! I do not find it bulky underneath that top, since the top is so light, loose and flowy, and the fabric is quite thin. I probably will wear the dress on its own every once in a while too :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. You look fabolous on it! I love the tunic, I think that this tunic with slim trousers is going to be spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  33. How great to use absolutely all of your fabric - and with such fabulous results. I am sure you will wear these garments LOADS!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love your description of this wonderful fabric. Mmm...a blue whisper - delightful! I'm sure you will get a lot of wear out these two pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  35. So pretty, and so wearable. I am trying to use my "precious" fabrics, but it is so hard to give up all those potential projects..... Your 2 garments from this lovely fabric look perfect.

    ReplyDelete