Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Khaki military shirt; 6 different ways

Oooh, it's been a while since I did one of these posts... which is silly since I do get a big kick out of these myself.  Playing in one's wardrobe, the bestest play a grown-up girl can have, no?
Sometimes I like to play with new garments, to see how they are going to work out with things I already have; sometimes with an old garment to revisit it, and see how it's holding up.  
This shirt falls into the latter category.  I made it using a men's shirt pattern Burda 7767, of deep olive linen and with carved brass buttons, and first posted it here.  I really loved the slouchy easy vibe of the military trend and added lots of little details like arrow-head tabs, flaps and pin-tucked pockets to make my shirt look as much like an army shirt as possible.  Is the military trend on the way out?  Oh well.  I still absolutely love my shirt.  It helps that casual and grunge-y is my all-time thang, and that khaki is one of my best colours  :))
This is such an easy garment to have and to wear.  It is linen, and I don't even iron it.  Ever.  Yes I'm serious!!  It's supposed to look crinkly!
I've worn it several times here on my blog already, and for today tried to mix it up in a few new ways....  and yes, the fact that I have worn it loads of different ways already and can easily come up with a whole host of completely new ensembles incorporating this shirt... oh, did somebody say "way too many clothes"...?    ;)
Ahem, without further ado.
Below left; the casualness of the design combined with the airiness of linen makes the shirt a perfect pairing for shorts on a hot summer's day.  At right; I really love the look of a slouchy man-style shirt blousing out over the top of a high-waisted pencil skirt.  I wore this  outfit last week sometime.  Hmmm, looking at this I've realised it is pretty rare for me to actually show any of my handbags in my photos, would you prefer to see the whole ensemble including the handbag in future daily outfit photos?  Please let me know....
Below at left: yes it does go nicely with my new capris as well...  this is another outfit I wore last week.  I adore this safari colour mix of khaki, beige and black too.  At right; worn as a "jacket" to grunge down a slightly dressy, more winter-y ensemble.  I wore this exact outfit once or twice over the winter just gone.
Below left; it looks a touch smarter when belted, over a little skirt and with my slouchy boots.  Seriously, the colour khaki goes with all the colours in my wardrobe... I had trouble picking out just one of my skirts for this look.  Middle; another winter-y but casual ensemble, with jeans and boots.  I really did enjoy wearing the shirt as a sorta jacket like this during the cooler months.  Truth be told; being linen it didn't add much warmth but I just liked the look of it!  At right; a sludgy and neutral foil to bright bright bright blue.  Incidentally, this last outfit is the one I am wearing today... 

I'm sure you can count, and have probably noticed that there are seven different ways here, not six.  Sorry, I just got carried away and then I couldn't narrow it down!!  So yah, seriously.  I sure hope the military trend sticks around for just a bit longer!

28 comments:

  1. Great outfits - that's a wonderful versatile top. Loving the khaki too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh the khaki and purple jeans are cute... not two colours I would have thought to pair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous basic. I think it will continue to look stylish even once the trend has passed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should really do this with my wardrobe. It's a sensible exercise and I'm sure I'd come up with lots of new outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All really wonderful combination, Carolyn :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's definitely versatile; I especially like it paired with the orange skirt and the bright blue skirt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your combinations are terrific! Love the ones with skirt specially. And, oh yes! I want to see the bags too. Actually my aunt is always telling me how nice I´d look if I had any abilities matching shoes and bags with my clothes.It won´t do any harm to see how you match yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great styling no matter if it's six or seven combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it - I adore miltary, camo, cargo looks paired with girliness. I think it looks fabulous. I shoudl get my eldest daughter onto doing these types of posts with me - she loves playing stylist and she's actually quite good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love repurposing men's clothes! Great outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great inspirations Carolyn. I love this idea for how to style our handmades.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't care if military is in or out; I love it & say wear it! I love the way you've shaped it so that it's not massive & baggy but looks flattering and feminine with just a touch of masculine edge - great colour too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely love the photos with orange/yellow highlights. You have such a way with colour. I was wondering if the epaulettes are supposed to end at the top of the shoulder or if they are supposed to extend a bit. I've always read that they are good for folks with narrow shoulders, but I'm not so sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1. You can never have too many clothes.
    2. your styling for each outfit looks great.
    3. I doubt that the style will ever go out of fashion.

    Enjoy wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Clearly, an army-green shirt is a "must have". It works with everything! The dark, muted green suits your colouring, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very useful top. It is fun to try on lots of different outfits & a photo of the result really helps.
    Have left my email address on the blog if you want to let me know where to send your '50s patteerns.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Seeing the many ways you can wear your garments is inspiring. It makes me try new things with my own clothes. This is a great shirt and I particularly like the version with your capris.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am not certain which look is a favorite! Don't you love the juxtaposition of the military style with delicate and feminine? It makes me for such an interesting and edgy look.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm not sure what's happening where you are but 'military inspired' seems to be big here (UK) every winter!! I love your shirt especially with the purple jeans. Unexpected but it really works!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the versatility! What a great shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's funny. I always think of this olive drab as a sort of green and thus am not as brave pairing it with color as i should be. i have a similar shirt in a different fabric and now I think I need to get it out this weekend and experiment a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, that is indeed a versatile piece... Now I have to have one. :-) Another non-ironer of linen here! The crinkle is part of its charm... And it just gets wrinkled again right away anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love it. You have great blog! <3

    Would You like to follow each other?
    http://linde-lo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. rosyragpatch; I am sorry, I am having such trouble with wordpress blogs and my comments are not showing up on your blog :( you should be able to see my email address on my previous comments on your blog; could you send me an email please?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think military style is classic at this point and so is your shirt! Very very cool (and I'm impressed how much you've leveraged this pattern)!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for sharing these six ways! rock this winter with fabolous color fleece jacket and colorful accessories!

    ReplyDelete