Saturday, October 13, 2012

Just add water

I thought I had timed things pretty well for this one, heading out to the beach on the first day of school term, a day when I knew it would be utterly deserted.  Instead I royally stuffed up by rocking up boom in the bloomin' middle of the school holidays!!... doh!  This is what happens when you are out of the system, people; you forget all that school-related info previously of paramount importance, like exactly when the holidays start and end.
Ah yes... you forget...
hmmm, where was I?
Oh, yes, I've made my new bathers for the new summer season  :)  

Actually I exaggerate, I was pretty lucky the beach was not crowded at all; enabling me to set up in a discreet pozzie for a few incognito piccies with the faithful doggie.
My new bathers are made using an old faithful pattern, McCalls 2772, modified to make the bikini top a tankini instead.  This is the sixth time I have made bathers using this patten,  and my third iteration of that same tankini modification to this pattern; so it has been such a goodie.  That is not even counting the times the bikini bottom pieces have been used to make undies, for which it has been pressed into service stacks more times!
I know it seems terribly boring, that I keep using the same pattern over and over again, and I briefly considered trying out something new.  Briefly.  You see, I'm kinda content with being repetitive.  Happy to be boring.  This pattern really does work for me; it suits me, both my tastes and my body type.  And, bathers are pretty important, y'know, since you spend such an huge amount of time in them over the long long summers we get here, you really want them to turn out as perfect-for-you as possible.  Road-tested, and check!
A secondary consideration is that I have worked out the past coupla times I've made these that a 2m packet of swimwear elastic is fair dinkum exactly the right quantity for my tankini version, and I mean down to the last 1-2cm.  It's a sign!  If I wanted to make up the bikini; and I did actually pause for a few days before cutting to consider going that route this time round, then I would have to buy a second roll of 2m.  
The tankini won.
I used a denim-look swimwear fabric; bought from the Fabric Store in Melbourne during our recent visit.  The roll was marked "tiger lily" so I am really pretty curious as to how tiger lily used this in their own collection.  I suspect they probably did not use quite as much fabric per set as I did here.  I'm imagining three or maybe even four, tiny weeny little triangles each?  :D
Playing on the denim theme, I added topstitching in burnt orange, and also a mini patch pocket on the front hip, topstitched to look like a jeans back pocket.  It is functional, but probably won't ever have anything actually put in it.  Can you imagine... oh, I'll just put the house key (or something else reeeal important) here in my little pocket to keep it safe while I am swimming over in that churning rough and tumble surf....   
Yeaah, bad idea.  But still c'est tres cute, non?

Details:
Bathers; McCalls 2772, the bikini top modified to make it a tankini, of denim-look swimwear fabric
Hat; Country Road

40 comments:

  1. This is FANTASTIC. I envy you the beginning of summer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really cute. Your backdrop as just beautiful as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally adorable. I've been eyeing this pattern on etsy for months now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your cozzie. And the pocket is - as you say - tres cute. Great colour too. You should get a lot of wear out if it - I've heard it is going to be a hot summer - not that you can tell by the cold Spring - snowing no less in some parts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely fab! I wish I was brave enough to tackle something like this.
    I'm just a wee bit jealous that you have weather for strolling around on the beach in a 'kini! No such luck here, it's definitely spring! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great suit, the little pocket is cute on the top! How nice to go to the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great suit! Brilliant idea turning it into a tankini!!! I have a few of these old bikini patterns & now I may actually be able to use one ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super idea with the tankini - love how it is so simple, but stylish. Just how quickly is our summer coming around this year...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely swimmers, lovely landscape! I am too terrified to make swimmers I always try so many pairs on at the shop, I think I would die from exhaustion makign so many pairs before I got to 'acceptable' looking on me!
    Wheras you just look smashing straight up! Love your fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! I'm feeling very jealous here in Suffolk where it is barely 5c.
    I particularly like th longer length you've given your tankini. I always find the ones in the shop end just on the most unattractive part of my tummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blue has to be one of my favourite colours for swimwear. I have had the pattern and fabric for mine but haven't had the nerve to cut it yet. Swimwear scares me. It has to be perfect fit wise.

    Your new set looks lovely and if it ain't broke don't fix it I say!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect combination of design and fabric. And that little pocket is so cute. I´ll have to remember this for next summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is nothing boring about that suit or that hat! Envying you your sunny beach!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is truly a great version of your bathers. Top stitching and the little pocket ingenious - love it :) Do you find that the top rides up? Like you I have a small waist and every time I try this style it creeps up to my waist (not a good look on me) leaving me wondering what style to try next.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shelly; no my top does not ride up, because like all my handmade clothes I have custom-fit it to my own figure.
    If your tankini top rides up it is because it is too tight at the hip level. So the too-tight section wants to move to an area of lesser stretch; the narrower part of your body, the waist.
    My advice is to cut your tankini top wider at the hips next time, fit it properly to yourself so that it skims the hips rather than hugs them, and you should not have this problem again with this style.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just want to hear you use all that Ozzie-speak in person :D

    Oh...and great swimsuit..uh...bathers...too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brilliant! I think I'm going to have to get that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look fabulous. Another great beach swimwear photo. I still remember last year's yellow pair. They looked fabulous against the blue back drop.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous swimsuit (and what a beautiful backdrop).

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am very jealous of your fabulous bod - I would look nothing like that even in a really well fitted set like this!(I would also like your weather and your dog).
    Enjoy your wonderful weather and bathers!

    ReplyDelete
  21. super cute, great fabric and I might just have to try swimwear next year.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your tankini set! and this beach shot looks absolutely beautiful, from my end living in a landlocked country, this looks like true paradise :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am jealous of your summer season!!%)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely outcome as always, Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful cozzies and love the denim details!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Super cute Cozzie Carolyn.
    The pocket is tres cute and you're right about the amount of fabric tiger lily would have used. However that left you with plenty to make your cozzie:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I totally understand why this pattern gets so much use! It's a great look on you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your swimmers are fabulous. The pocket is so cute. I looks like an icecream money place to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for the advice Carolyn. I will definitely try skimming over the hips next time and hope it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love that photograph!
    And as for making a swimming costume...?! Somehow that sounds as hard as making a bra. But you make those too! ;)
    Fab!
    P.S. you asked about temperatures where I live? This morning it was 2 degrees C. I don't expect it to get above 6 degrees again until May or June, but it should't fall much below freezing until November... :(

    ReplyDelete
  31. Qué bonito, me encanta la ropa de baño de estilo retro, queda preciosa!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the swimming costume. I admire just how much you are making yourself.
    One of these days I'll have a go at bra making - you really inspired me there, but I don't think the swimming costume I have will ever wear out......

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such agreat and Retro-looking swimsuit. BTW, fantastic picture.

    ReplyDelete
  34. So retro but at the same time modern because of the fabric. You have a great figure too!

    ReplyDelete