Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Hand-woven

Every now and again I come across another handmade item in my house that I have not yet documented on my blog here...
This is a set of serviettes, handwoven by me!  Yes, I have dabbled in weaving, in a very very minor way, hehe.
I made these when I was about nineteen, before I was married and when I was still living at home with my family.  My mother had, and still has today actually, a big floor loom on which she made many beautiful things.  I made a few things on it too.  
These serviettes are woven in a plain weave in blue cotton, with decorative rows in white cotton.  These were based on a traditional Scandinavian design, and required some rather complicated setting up, threading and manipulation of the heddles.
I think the reverse is almost as nice as the right side...  I remember dithering for a while on which side I should designate the "right" side  :)
I remember I made calculations for a set of six, but I must have allowed plenty of room for error since I ended up with a long enough warp to squeeze in one extra, giving me a set of seven.  Each of the seven serviettes was woven to size and then a spacer was inserted before starting the next one.  Once I had taken the woven cloth off the loom, I hand-finished the top and bottom of each serviette by stitching loops around each and every thread of the warp and into the weft, one by one...
Can I just pause for a mo' and say here...  I have to admit that even I am kinda super impressed at how dedicated and meticulous my teenage self was.  I don't know if I am even capable of the patience required for this sort of immaculate finishing nowadays....  :S
Finally I cut them apart, then turned under the top and bottom twice and hand-hemmed.  The selvedges at the side I left just as is with no further finishing, since I had gone to so much care to have them looking perfect, ahem.
Each measures 32x30cm.
These were used on a semi-regular basis early in our marriage and even when the kiddies were little but now I keep them for special occasions only  :)

26 comments:

  1. Wow, Carolyn, what a beautiful work of art. You never cease to amaze your fans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Truly can see how your family life were immersed in/with arts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched a tv show where they had alpacas and told my other half we should first get them, then a spinning wheel then loom - I'll show him this and see if I can convince him lol. They are very nice you should be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, Carolyn. I'm going to start calling you Martha Stewart (has she made it to AU?). This looks like fun...for about the first couple of hours. I'm also v. impressed with how meticulous your 19-year-old self was. If I recall correctly I could only concentrate for that long if I was getting over a boyfriend...

    My remark about enjoy sleeveless while you can was about age. Somehow in the last decade or so we women have learned the term 'batwings' and how to despise yet another part of our body.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there anything you haven't tried your hand at!!? It would appear not! Wonderful to still be able to appreciate your handiwork so many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. my. goodness. These serviettes are so sweet, and your 19 y.o. self must have been a really meticulous girl! Weaving is something I did as a kid and am not sure I want to do again... so much set-up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look good! Even after all the years. I took a weaving class at university. It was great fun. No room for a good sized loom in this house, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are so elegant. I'm really impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Truly wonderful - there is no end to your amazing talents!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is totally awesome .... You are amazing, like a steamer trunk of surprises ..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Still beautiful. I think they look better with age. You were very clever then as now. Mum

    ReplyDelete
  12. That first photo - at a glance - looks like a cute pleated skirt ... Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  13. These would bring back such warm family memories to me if I had made them. They're a lovely design.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so beautiful! How wonderful that you still have handiwork done in your youth.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How nice to have a mother who weaves! (Didn't you mention her weaving on your blog sometime before? I remember being impressed.) Those napkins are lovely. Nice you picked a timeless color and design.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my those are wonderful. I find work done on looms amazing! I think I would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yet another talent! Fab!
    By the way, You won the '50s patterns. If you email me your details I'll get them off to you as soon as possible.
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll take Rianna's comment one further - is there anything you suck at?! Those are just beautiful! I want to learn how to weave now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! You are really good a everything! What are you going to show us next? A hand-woven, hand-dyed, hand-embroidered stunning evening gown :) I wouldn't put it past you. I'm sure you could do it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are gorgeous! They look so professional. I would love to learn to weave, but I really don't need another hobby!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are a very talented craftslady. I am guessing they would have taken a long time too . They look like a family heirloom.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another craft - you are so talented. I can't believe after all these years how well they have kept. I'm sure they will give you many more years of pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'll put my voice with all the others - you are very talented! And what a great thing to have to hand down the family - something special and hand made.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh wow! Those look beautiful, real heirloom pieces. I'm very impressed that your teenage self was just as meticulous about crafting as you are now!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete