Saturday, October 6, 2012

Cut me a little Black

In my recent, gloriously ruthless, spring clean-out of my wardrobe, I culled an evening gown, originally made using Burda 8046 and first posted here.  I've worn it about seven times in total; none in the past three years; and have now decided it is too young for me.  Cassie didn't want it either... so rather than toss it the Salvo's way where someone might snap it up only to butcher it for something else, I decided I wanted to have that wicked pleasure for myself... mwahaha   :)
The fabric of the lower skirt section is an almost translucent, lightweight, black silk taffeta, and it has a combined lining/crinoline of soft black tulle.  And please don't worry about that beautiful heavily sequinned and beaded fabric on the bodice section, it will not be wasted and will be put to good use, I absolutely promise!
I was pretty pleased to get the skirt pieces of Vogue 1170 from the lower skirt section, and I also fashioned a new attached crinoline from the old one too.  This has a lot of extra gathering in the very back region, creating a really frothy bit to help that flounce flounce.  Hopefully in a feminine and attractive way  :)
I even re-used the zip! hehe, of course it was too long but I left it long.  It is no bother; sandwiched unobtrusively between the skirt and those tulle gathers it cannot be seen or felt!
I eliminated the centre front seam and cut the skirt front/back section as one big massive piece.  I was able to do this by incorporating part of the ballgown side seams, and at the centre front and halfway around towards the back some of the original hem has also been left intact.   Instead of cutting a hemline facing as stipulated in the pattern, I hand-stitched a narrow hem to mimic the remains of the original on my ballgown.  My skirt is about 10cm longer than the pattern.
I also cut the centre back and side back pieces to incorporate my slight sway back alterations to the pattern, illustrated in my first version of this pattern here.
The waistband has a central vertical joining seam, and is about half the width, necessary adaptions due to the lack of fabric.  I think I do actually prefer it this narrower width too!
OK (deep breath, confession time).... er, I left off the pockets too.
:O  
Hehe; normally I am such a rabid pocket-lover I wouldn't dream of leaving off something so inherently marvellous, buuut...  (here we go) I sorta had to mostly through lack of fabric, but also, while wearing my previous two versions of this skirt pattern (here and here) I have found that I pretty much never use the pockets.  They are situated very high, and have a very narrow opening that is almost impossible to widen without disrupting the structural integrity of the skirt/waistband junction.  Furthermore: they are actually kind of a nuisance.  Since they are true "bags" that just hang there with nothing to tether them, they have a tendency to bunch up a bit when you're putting the skirt on; and need to be manually smoothed down flat to avoid obvious bulges on one's hips.  When the skirt is lined like this one; that is even more annoying to sort out: since you have to either do it from inside the pockets themselves (see previous note about laughably small pocket openings) or lift up the skirt and pull them down straight from underneath.   In short: I have to concede that this particular design is better off without them!   Shock!
And please admire my rather fantabulous new shoes for summer too.  They are from Misano, like my ballet flats.  This warm rich shade of caramel leather is definitely my kind of shade, and will liven up and enrich all of my favoured neutrals.  I like that practical wedge heel too, safer and a lot easier to get about in than a stiletto.  I am really looking forward to wearing them and wearing them.  These are going to be long term players in my shoe collection!

Details:
Skirt; Vogue 1170 with minor modifications, a refashion of an old ballgown; black silk taffeta with a black tulle crinoline, see my review of this pattern here
Shirt; my own design, of black polycotton, details here
Sandals; a gift from Misano

31 comments:

  1. Love, love, love your creations and the beautiful and interesting backdrops you find to photograph them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ballgown to a.cute skirt, that is great! I love the modification u made on this version with no pocket... N that is a pretty new shoes too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ball gown was fabulous.
    Your new outfit is fabulous.
    Well shoot...you're just flat out fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love things like this; I get a special thrill out of garments that are essentially free. Well done, it looks great on you. I have a pair of leather wedges that I have worn for several summers now and I love them. You'll barely have them off your feet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a marvelous refashion. Evening wear doesn't get the wearings that other clothes do, and it certainly makes sense to make use of the lovely fabric. I do wonder what you will do with the beaded lace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great refashion and great shoes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this version of your skirt with the built in petticoat. You always come up with such great ideas for refashioning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not sure which is better, you skirt, or the fabulous picture. The swirling rock backdrop looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the skirt, what a great refashion. As for the sandals - love them too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the whole idea of up-cycling and this just extends the life of the fabric. I love the shoes too (being a self-confessed shoe-o-holic you can never have too many)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely skirt. Is this the one you said was perfect for cycling in?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful refashion! I'm glad you found a way to prolong its life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this skirt on you, I'm yet to muster up the courage to try it.
    I love the addition of the tulle. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is it pathetic that I knew that you used the Rachel Comey pattern that you lengthened the skirt a lot and made from leatherette the first time you made it. Yes, I think it is.

    However it is a lovely refashion and it looks wonderful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the skirt! And, I'm itching to butcher some of my own closet castaways! Can't wait to eek out some time to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pretty! I love the little bit of tulle at the flounce. And your new shoes are fabulous, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an amazing transformation! You have such creative flair.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great refashion. You've ended up with a very lovely skirt. Nice shoes too. Love the shade.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous! I love this pattern, but the little turn points scare me. Please accept another compliment on your picture locations- if I tried that the last pic would be of me tumbling off the side to my doom!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous! Very interesting refashion; it's hard to know what to do with an old evening dress. This is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow. What guts to recycle a ball gown. And both items looked/look lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a really inspired refashion! It looks great, and I'm glad you found a way to get some more use out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have this pattern! Now you've inspired me to dig it out and stitch it up - your refashion is so totally gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh that is so brave! I love the skirt pattern and using the tulle is brilliant. It really echoes the evening gown but in a fun downtown way.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, I've wanted a flouncy skirt with a crinoline for a long time - it is on my sewing "wish" list, so I am vicariously enjoying yours VERY much...!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is a lovely skirt. It is a great use of an unloved dress. The shoes look like they have the potential to be favourites as well.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is just the perfect combination of flirty and classic and edgy.
    I'm kicking myself now for sending a little crinoline lined black a line skirt to the thrift store earlier this summer!
    It's really cute, Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete