Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Aranciello

I've invented something!...  I think  :)
Last month when I posted about my batch of limoncello, velosewer commented that she would love to make limoncello too but she only had oranges... of course my brain instantly leapt to exciting new possibilities; thank you so much for the fabulous inspiration velosewer!  It's been brewing for the last month and is finally ready for its debut  :)
This liqueur is based on the recipe I used for limoncello, but I substituted oranges instead.  Since I've never heard of this before, which I concede does not mean it does not exist, somewhere, but still, it's new to me:   I am claiming the right to give it a name.  And since "arancia" is Italian for "orange" just like "limone" is Italian for "lemon": thus "aranciello"  Pronounced the Italian way naturally... ah-rahn-chel-lo.  Si?


Aranciello
6 oranges
750mL vodka
225g sugar
435mL water

Place the oranges in a saucepan and cover with boiling water.  Set aside for 1 hour to soak.  Drain and pat dry.  Finely grate the oranges, and combine the rind and vodka in a jug.  (You don't use the juice from the oranges in this recipe, but obviously they can be juiced and the juice can still be used somewhere; waste not want not   :)  )
Heat the sugar and water in a saucepan over a low heat, stirring for 5 minutes or until the sugar has dissolved.  Increase heat to medium and bring to the boil.  Cook without stirring for 5 minutes, or until the syrup begins to thicken.  Set aside to cool.
Add cool syrup to the vodka mixture and pour into an airtight container.  Seal and store in a cool, dark place, shaking occasionally, for 1 month to develop the flavours.
Strain the vodka mixture through a fine sieve, into a clean sterilised airtight bottle.  Discard the rind.
Note: This liqueur must be served well chilled.  Place it in the freezer for 1 hour before serving.

Now of course, I did not actually discard the vodka-soaked rind after straining, any more than I did the vodka-soaked lemon rind when I made the limoncello last month.  Quelle horreur!  Anyone who reads this blog will know that I am a mad anti-waste crusader...
Each time, I've saved the rind and used it to make a raaather decadent, adults-only cake...

I can add in the recipe for this if anyone really wants it, but really it is just a basic common-or-garden butter cake with the vodka-soaked rind added at the butter/sugar creaming stage; easy peasy...  but tres delish!

Oh, in random blogging news, today is the third anniversary of my funny lil' ol' blog here.  I've managed to not click on that "delete blog" button all this time!  (wipes sweat off the ol' brow)
Here's to avoiding that hairy one for a few more years yet....  I'm mentally chinking aranciello-filled glasses with y'all right now  :))
Cheers peers!

35 comments:

  1. Happy blog anniversary! I make citrus liqueur out of most fruits - we've done lemon, orange, grapefruit and lime. I'm pretty sure it really is called "aranciello" but I might have made that up. My recipe is like yours, only I use diluted Everclear instead of vodka.

    I always enjoy your blog, though I don't always have time to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, yum to both. I love limoncello, Aranciello sounds really tasty :-) As for the cake, any spare?

    Oh and happy blogisversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum and yum! That's a good way to celebrate a blogiversary :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Don't know which will taste better, the drink or the cake! Inspiring as ever:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum - my mouth is watering - for both the drink and the cake. Happy anniversary. I only found your blog a few months ago - so glad I found it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy bloganniversary from me (and from Germany) too. I like you work, it's interesting, informative, funny and gives me inspirations and at last, it improved my English knowedge.
    Mema

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm... when do we get to taste! I've been wanting to try making limoncello for a while now but aranciello sounds pretty good too - which to choose or perhaps both. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy blog day Carolyn! That aranciello sounds delish although reminds me slightly of all the vodka and oranges we used to drink in our youth..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy blog anniversary! I don't have chance to comment often but visit many times. Am continually inspired by all that you do! You write a wonderful blog and you should feel very proud!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy blogiversary! You have created a treasure trove of... treasures! Thank you for sharing. I really appreciate the time you spend doing so.

    I also wanted to thank you for an idea you gave me some months ago. I've been drinking a lemon a day, mixed in a few ounces of water. It's a powerful vitamin C punch and I love it. I especially loved it when using Meyer lemons picked off the tree, but I no longer have access, so I have to settle for the much-less-yummy grocery store variety.

    So thanks, and here's to a healthy winter (over here) and summer (over there). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're very thoughtful however this ah-rahn-chel-lo is all your work and what a wonderful brew it must be.
    I love how you don't waste a thing.
    Congratulations on your blog. The posts and photos are something I enjoy every day.
    Cheers:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy blogiversary - and what a great cake to celebrate with! Thanks for the recipe. Whilst I don't have any fruit trees in my dark, cold, north facing UK garden I will get some fruit next time I am at the market and try this. And the cake. I think the rind would make my composting worms a bit reckless!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hhhmmm that would go perfectly with my breakfast! Yummy, I must try this this weekend.
    Happy bloggiversary, thanks for all the great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy blog anniversary, and that recipe sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Blogiversary! And, thanks for sharing your limoncello/arancello tips!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on the anniversary! Your posts are looked forward to. May you keep on inspiring all of us for a good long time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cheers. Looks and sounds lovely, will drink a glass in my mind to your health and many more blog posts. Congratulations on the anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cheers!%) Liqueur looks very bright and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Blog anniversary and boy do both those look good. I will be right over!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy 3rd blogversary - the Aranciello looks very inviting - enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. If that aranciello tastes half as good as it looks I want four boxes please! Excellent photo! I´ve poured myself some Rioja wine and I´m toasting to your blog aniversary and may there be many more years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Blogiversary to one of my very favorite bloggers!

    And your drinks and your cakes....mmmmmm taste buds are bursting! I discovered limoncello in Italy a few years ago, and sadly, I know better than to even attempt making it. It's just too darn tasty, and my liver would never forgive me!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Blogiversary! That aranciello and cake looks like the perfect way to celebrate.

    We are a bit far south to grow oranges but I do grow lemons and tangelos. Tangelociello sounds a bit of a mouthful to say let alone after drinking the liqueur.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds delish! Especially the cake, to be honest. Lemon cake is arguably my favorite. I can only imagine making it with vodka-soaked rind. Need. to. try. :D
    Also, happy blogiversary! Tante auguri (bloguri?)!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was tempted when I read the limoncello recipe... I cannot resist this new one though. I LOVE oranges! And making the rind into a cake... very clever!!!

    Happy Blogiversary. And we're the ones who are breathing the sigh of relief. I hope you never push that silly delete button!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Both the cake AND the drink sound divine!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh seriously...that just looks like a happy drink.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy blog anniversary, Carolyn! Thank you for sharing your creativity, I hope you'll have another delightful year on your blog. Yum! They look seriously delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh that cake sounds wicked :) Congratulations on your blog anniversary, love all the goodies you show us so thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a tasty way to celebrate an anniversary!

    Cheers!

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations on your anniversary!! What an achievement and a fabulous blog to boot. I think eating the cake with a glass of aranciello would be the way to go with perhaps a large spoon of cream to help it go down. Love Mum

    ReplyDelete
  32. Cheers! Dear friend! Some years travels on the road together, I hope you continue to delight us with all your delicious adventures (like this liquor, I'll try) and with all your sewing adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Happy anniversary! Your blog is an inspiration to me, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ooh that cake looks good ^__^ Happy blogiversary! I'm always worried I'll accidentally delete mine too lol Glad we haven't done it yet! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Vodka and cake...an unlikely combination but I'd bet they are both lovely.

    ReplyDelete