Thursday, September 6, 2012

White-y tighties

hai there  :)
oh sorry, were you expecting some fashion??
My set-up photo with just one lonely loyal dog sitting there really made me smile, so I had to put it in here.  For fun.
I've made some new jeans  :)
These are made in a thick but stretchy denim from Spotlight in a lovely warm vanilla ice-cream shade, and using Burda 7863.  This is the seventh pair of jeans I have made using this pattern; it really is such a winner in my book!
I thought and thought and thought about the legs, whether to go skinny this time or not.  Whilst I looovee my khaki skinnies, I really do think that a slightly flared leg is actually way more flattering to my figure type.  And the reason we sew is that we can have clothes custom suited to our figure type and not be needlessly restricted to the silhouette being forced on us by the fashion powers-that-be for that season, yes?  Yes!
So I cut the legs based as closely as possible on my purple flares, which I have to confess are (whispers) my favourites.  Shhhh!  I never say so out loud, for fear of hurting the feelings of all my other pairs of jeans, but yah... my purplies really do make me feel extra specially good about myself every single time I put them on.  I can't exactly put my finger on it; what is their secret.  They just work.  I am hoping these new ivory ones will be just as successful.
I cut my new jeans with the legs about 10cm longer, and with the slight flare, about 5cm in total from the knee out to the hemline.  I did a small alteration to pull in the waist at the small of the back also, a standard adjustment for me in jeans, and made very easy with the two-piece, shaped waistband in this pattern.
For the pocket decoration; there are two intersecting curves of closely-spaced zig-zag stitch done in mirror image on each pocket.  It's hard to see them in the picture, white on white is hard to photograph! but I super highlighted the picture so it shows up as much as it does in real life.  It does, btw.  Show up, I mean.  The pure white top-stitching thread I used throughout highlights the warm, slightly yellow-y creaminess of the ivory fabric.
Oh, and yes, in case you're wondering; it is quite difficult to take a photograph of your own be-hind, oh yes indeedy  :)
I washed the fabric before cutting, then I made the jeans; then I washed them again before hemming to really guard against shrinkage.  I want these jeans to be plenty looong enough.  I think all the washing really helped with the fit too.
I added a coin pocket and a zip placket and also slightly altered the order of construction of the jeans, as outlined in this post for my purple jeans; which results in a more ready-to-wear look.  The pocket lining and waistband lining are cut from a sturdy but lightweight white cotton.
windy? o yeah...

Details:
Jeans; Burda 7863 with minor modifications, made of ivory stretch cotton denim; my review of this pattern here
Top; based on top "a" from shape shape (or Unique Clothes Any WayYou Like) by Natsuno Hiraiwa, made of blue shot cotton, details here
Cardigan; "wearing a square" from Pattern Magic 2 by Tomoko Nakamichi, blue/grey knit stuff, details here
Shoes; Francesco Morichetti, from Zomp shoes

42 comments:

  1. Very nicely done, Carolyn...great fit. These are a perfect wardrobe basic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great fit, indeed. They look terrific! And meticulous sewing, too. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't visited your blog in a while, and I am greeted by great shots of inspiring sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank YOU!
    I've been missing Sienna.

    And great jeans!

    I keep being amazed with your great backdrops that highlight the colours of your garments. Beautiful! (I can feel the wind, too.)

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great, Carolyn, and so cute with that top!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. They look great! Love the colour so fresh and outdoorsy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great look - everything you're wearing! You are so motivating me to look into the Japanese pattern books; you've made so many intriguing pieces - can I just come visit for a month & pick your wealth of experience?

    And your gorgeous scenery, too ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking jeans and so good to see Sienna, she is such a good girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great jeans! Your doggy looks like she is so enjoying the photo shoot :O).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous jeans. They look like they would be very versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great jeans and cardi. I like them both.
    I'm looking forward to the oringcello idea too.
    You've got me curious about this and I'm thinking of having a go at your PM cardi for the gym. Mmm...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic fit, whitey must be vying for most favored spot amongst the jeans. Your sweet dog is named Sienna? She looks so sweet and gentle, and reminds me of my Crystal girl.

    Once again, amazing scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous! There is no better feeling than an awesome pair of home-made jeans! PS. Thank you for sharing those lovely landscape pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow - 7 items from the one pattern. Well when you're on a good thing..stick with it! They look sensational and the work is great as always.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look great! I think you look great in skinnies too - you've got a great figure for jeans. (I always say they are called "skinnies" for a reason).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your purple jeans should be worried. They may well get knocked off their perch. White is so versatile. Once again great jeans

    ReplyDelete
  17. What great jeans - and FANTASTIC fit. Love the stitching too. Great look for summer. Lovely pictures as always.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great jeans - something I am yet to conquer! Love the white but I live in a red soil area so wouldn't be game to wear them, unless red dusty paw prints on white is fashionable?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous jeans, Carolyn. After I finish all the maternity sewing for my daughter, I will have to make myself a pair of these.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What wonderful photos and a fantastic narrative - I love how you write! - and, finally, such fantastic jeans. You look sublime. I have never, ever been tempted to make jeans and you may just have made me wobble.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh they're lovely - I think you've perfected that pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely jeans. You have managed to get a great fit

    ReplyDelete
  23. Crikey people think I'm prolific but you are not only prolific but so inspiringly proficient - and you shots are magazine worthy. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! White jeans that are flattering. You are good!

    ReplyDelete
  25. They look fantastic. I prefer a flared leg, too. Even though skinnies are all the rage. I love the idea of washing again before hemming. I always struggle pants getting shorter as you wash them. And I love the first photo of your pup!

    Also, I knew that you always listed the rest of your outfit at the bottom of your posts. Don't know why I didn't think to look there about your shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great looking jeans! And as always love your photographs, especially with your faithful dog in them!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing! Absolutly perfect white jeans! The flare is just the right one. Veery inspiring
    I forgot to post a comment about the limoncello...yesterday I could have used the whole bottle! First day of school!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your jeans look great but I am so taken with that cardigan! Fab outfit!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your jeans look great but I am so taken with that cardigan! Fab outfit!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Another Wardrobe Winner! Wish I was brave enough to wear white jeans....I have a pair of green cords on my to do list for fall and as always you provide inspiration at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Awesome fit! I have hordes of pants patterns that I NEVER feel like sewing. You certainly make it look easy with all your many pairs of jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  32. White jeans are a great item to have in a summer wardrobe...well, here in Britain where summer is iffy. You mostly wear skirts and shorts in summer if I recall. You have several favourite patterns that you make over and over again...what would you say they have in common?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Nice, nice jeans! I really want to be able to sew like you one day, but at the rate I'm progressing, it may have to be in my next lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  34. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH! These look like the Denim God came and made these for you using the power of magic! Seriously such a perfect perfect fit. I LOVE the high waist and the slight flair - if you weren't 3 sizes smaller than me I would consider flying down to Oz to steal them. I can't even deal with how jealous I am and how much I am going to harass you for help when I make mine this fall... One question- how did you deal with the stretchy factor? I always buy jeans a size smaller because I know how much they stretch after wearing - did the pre-shrinking help with that or did you make them slightly too small so they could stretch out?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow. Just wow.
    And the top too. Wow.
    P.S. The Pattern Pyramid has landed - thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  36. Fabulously flattering jeans! Why would you ever bother to look at RTW again when you can make jeans that look this good?

    ReplyDelete
  37. I won't forget that tip about rewashing before hemming.

    I'll never forget a comment I read years ago about white jeans like white coats being signs of luxurious living that only a blessed few can pull off. Well, you're one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh Carolyn they look ACE! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  39. They look great. I've never made jeans before, mostly I think because I've never been a big wearer of jeans, but I think I need to try now.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Those are some lovely jeans, and what a great fit!
    Lovely photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Carolyn, the fit on these are wonderful. I always have trouble getting a good fit through the crotch when following a pattern (but not so much when I trace of my favourite pair, of course ;-). Do you have any advice for adjusting pants patterns to suit?

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thank you Intrepidations! I posted more details on the order to construct the jeans to fit as you go along; and getting a good fit through the small of the back (I have a slight sway back) in my post on my purple jeans
    http://handmadebycarolyn.blogspot.com.au/2011/05/flares-in-plum.html

    ReplyDelete