Saturday, September 8, 2012

Pretty in Pink


It's been gorgeous here lately.  Fresh and exhilarating; cool and sunny and clear.  Everyone including moi is in high spirits, the days are sparkling and I'm even feeling the urge to clean out kitchen cupboards and wash curtains and eiderdowns, for heaven's sake.  Wooee, spring casts some powerful magic, yeah?!
And I am in the mood to create like mad...   I've made a lightweight pinkie-wink thing for my light pinkie-wink daughter  :)   More specifically, a loose over-sized jacket in a boyfriend style that we both reckon is tres chic, oui.
I used a new-to-me pattern Burda 7401, and the jacket is made of a lovely shell-pink hessian silk that I spotted on the $4 table at Fabulous Fabrics about a year ago, put there because it had some faded patches.  I looove the faded patches! and I think this soft and pretty colour is just glorious on her  :)
The jacket fronts are supposed to meet in the centre front and tie closed, but because I made it oversized as opposed to fitting, I made it so she can fold the fronts over each other and wrap herself up in it; tie the long ties together at the back, to look like a more fitted style if she wants that.  I did this by leaving a small gap in the right back/side seam, for the tie to pass through to wrap around.  At first she preferred it wrapped up like this, but she now informs me she likes it open.  So she can shove her hands in those pockets... aah, a daughter after my own heart  :D
The silk hessian frays like billy-o, so I finished all the raw edges inside with HongKong seaming, in a lightweight cotton voile.
She is wearing it with a little denim skirt she made herself.  She is a pretty accomplished little seamster herself, and I reckon she should update her own blog one of these days and add in all the cool stuff she has been making for herself.

Details:
Jacket; Burda 7401, pink silk
Top; supre
Skirt (made by Cassie); Butterick 5488, lightweight denim

Pattern Description:
Semi-fitted unlined jacket with unusual seaming; long underarm gussets, a short rounded stand-up collar, front pockets that are separate pieces patched together with remainder of the jacket front.  View B has longer sleeves, a tie front and peplum.
Pattern Sizing:
Sizes 36-50 (US 10-24).  I made view B in a size 12 for my daughter, aiming for an oversized boyfriend jacket look.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you had finished sewing it?
Yes.  Except that I adapted it so the ties can, if my daughter desires, become a self-belt that wraps it around around the body to cinch in the waist in a blouse-y way; an aesthetic that suits her style.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes: except that steps 4 and 5, inserting the side pieces, is not as simple to do as it makes out in the instructions.  You have to clip the heck out of those tight front and back underarm curves in order to sew those seams!
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
For a casual jacket I think it is really chic; with slightly unusual seaming and an edgy style.  I love the shape of that softly flared peplum, it looks lovely either with the jacket wrapped or unwrapped.  There were no instructions to interface the front facing, which I thought about defying and rebelliously applying interfacing.  But I went with no interfacing on the front; which does make the jacket beautifully soft and unstructured, very casual and easy to wear.  I did apply interfacing to the back neck facing and to the collar to the foldline.
The jacket is designed to be unlined, but if you wanted to line it it would be pretty easy to do so.
Fabric Used:
Hessian silk, and lightweight cotton voile for theHongKong seaming
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I bound all the raw edges inside with HongKong seaming. 
I left a small opening in the right back/side seam to allow the left front tie to pass through, wrap around the back and tie to the right front tie like a skinny self-belt.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I made this one for my daughter; and yes, I would very much like to make one for myself sometime... if I'm allowed to   :)
Conclusion:
I love it and my daughter loves it, so it is a great success!  I'm glad I made it oversized, with the long body and  the loose unstructured sleeves rolled up it looks like a boyfriend jacket and very "now".  The unusual seaming and pocket construction is a nice exercise for a seamster who is looking for something out of the ordinary.

43 comments:

  1. That jacket is stunning and looks great on you daughter. I might just look that pattern up as I need some more jackets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your jacket and DD are both adorably fashionable! And thank you for the eye-opening comment about faded fabric! It's a stroke of brilliance to look at that as a plus instead of a minus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love the jacket. It hits the perfect balance between young and grown up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is lovely! I've been thinking about goign back and adding the peplum to the one I made- now I realy want to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am, at this moment, looking through the Burda patterns on sale at simplicity.com. I never would have chosen this one in a million years! Your version is light years away from the dud on the cover!!!
    It's so pretty in that light pink color!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! It looks lovely on her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty jacket for a young lady! She has your style, no doubt about that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like mother like daughter! She sews and blogs too! I adore this jacket, the lines are lovely, I might put it on my 'list' too. I am a jacket fiend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the kick out at the back. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! Your DD looks lovely in pink. Her skirt looks great too. Enjoy the great weather!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful colour on your daughter. The jacket is terrific with the loose cut and diagonal seams, a very interesting garment that looks elegant, and versatile. I would not have picked this from the pattern envelope photo, you have such a good eye.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the jacket. Doesn't your daughter look like you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful jacket on a beautiful, stylish daughter! She certainly takes after her mother, in all the good ways!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the jacket and the colour is amazing on your daughter. She looks wonderful in her new jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG, gorgeous daughter and gorgeous jacket. I can't see the fading, which is too bad, because I think it would add to the interesting-ness.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous jacket. It sounds delightful in a silk hessian.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ok it's fabulous and I want to adopt you as my sewing mum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous jacket - very fresh looking - As you say - spring has sprung and isn't it glorious! I too am enthused to do things.

    I enjoyed reading your daughter's blog. The apple really doesn't fall far from the tree. Very stylish with beautiful clothes and very chic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Snap! I have just finished making the same jacket. It is fun to make with all the pieces and unusual construction. The pink is gorgeous on your daughter and the fabric looks divine!

    Mine isn't blogged yet, but will be in the next day or so :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oui. This is tres wonderful. The colour and seaming work so well.
    Cassie's skirt is also great.
    I like how you've made this loose but on trend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So elegantly, with a quiet gibraltar-like strength, feminine!

    Beautiful daughter, beautiful jacket!

    May you continue to sail the winds of inspiration!

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a lovely jacket. You are very generous making a jacket for someone who clearly has the skills to make it herself! My daughter has been promising to make me an apron for six months. She even has the fabric....perhaps after exams...or Christmas.


    ReplyDelete
  23. That's lovely .. I've just seen Sue's orange version - both beautiful. I lovve that colour pink and have some linen in it. Cassie looks lovely again.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous, both the jacket and your daughter. I really must pull this pattern out and give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great jacket. It's classic yet edgy.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the term 'pinky-winky'. Also those amazing silhouettes - where is that place? And the jacket of course - goes without saying.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow! Your daughter is as beautiful as you! and of course, she has style too. Love is so smooth jacket looks with that color. Great success!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This looks beautiful on your (lovely) daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  29. OMG!! i love it and I love Your blog, I'm first time here but I'll stay forever.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love this jacket! Love your blog! I just started sewing again a couple of years ago and recently discovered your blog - you are an inspiration for style and dusting off my rusty skills. And, I've added this jacket to my wish list.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous jacket and it fits your daughter perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Stunning! And so gloriously springy!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is sooo gorgeous. That color was made for your daughter. She looks fantastic in that rosy pink. I love how the front overlaps instead of meeting. Just beautiful and inspiring as always.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is unbelievably gorgeous!!! I love the style, the interesting seaming, and what a lovely fabric! It suits her so perfectly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Gorgeous jacket for your daughter and love the sound of the silk hessian.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Really a wonderfull jacket,Its a nice challenge for sewing.I think i am going to try it for my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This jacket is perfect and very interesting! Cute on you

    ReplyDelete
  38. This jacket is beautiful. The pink silk is perfect for your daughter's complexion & the jacket fits perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love this jacket! The cut is really interesting and it looks great in this lightweight pink material.

    ReplyDelete