Tuesday, September 18, 2012

'nother hoodie

I've been on such a sewing bendahh lately!! making loads of stuff for the family as well as myself.   Must be the influence of spring; new growth in the garden and blissfully warm days lend themselves to thoughts of rejuvenating, renewing; everything in one's life.  I've been cleaning out cupboards, sorting through wardrobes, and adding new clothes to our lives...  :)
Somebody stop me!!
So I've made hoodies recently for Craig and for Sam; and Andrea observantly noted that I do have another man in my life; our eldest son Tim.  :D   I love making things for my boys (as well as my girl, of course) but I feel especially super proud when I see my boys heading out in stuff made by me.  Seems more of a stamp of cool-approval.  imo it is easy to make great girl-y stuff, but it is a much bigger challenge to make stuff that gets the thumbs up from a young man.
I used the same pattern copied from an old RTW one; and size-adjusted for Tim's lanky build.
Tim looks really handsome in grey, and I still had some of this grey marle jersey from KnitWit.  It is the same fabric I used for my clipped wings top as well as my grey jersey lingerie set.  Luckily; the store has had this in stock for months, which is utterly fab since I've nipped back to buy just a little bit more twice now!  I cut out all the hoodie pieces of this fabric and got halfway through construction.  Then had overwhelming and crippling doubts that it was all going to be a bit too unrelentingly pale, featureless and boring, and so at the last moment I re-cut the hood and pocket pieces from a khaki/caramel coloured cotton jersey and used these instead.  I bought the khaki jersey from KnitWit as well, last year some time.
The hoodie has a kangaroo pocket, and the sleeves and lower edge were finished with a long folded ring-band using this method.  Tim wanted the sleeves over-long, so the band method is a good way to add length to a sleeve without having to remove the length required for a hem.  
The hood/drawstring-collar was constructed using this method.
I'm really pleased with the two-tone result.  When Sam saw it he asked for a two-tone one too.... so I had to promise that his next hoodie will be like this too...  (sigh)
And: the very last leftover pieces of this pale grey marle cotton jersey was yesterday subjected to a dye-bath.... hehehe;  and I am super thrilled with how the colour has worked out  :))  Results to appear here soon!

16 comments:

  1. Well, Tim sure looks like Mr Cool in that fab. hoodie. the 2 tones make it look extra special. You'll have all his friends lining up for one too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I think you've made a rod for your own back there - that two tone effect is really brilliant. The clothing you make with bits and bobs are my very favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The two tone is uber cool. Love hoodies on guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will be able to make these hoodies in your sleep soon! The two toned looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks great! I would be so thrilled if my teen boy wore something I'd made for him. Heck, I'd be happy if he just wore something this clean!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's a great feeling when the family love something you've made them - I'm loving your hoodies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's such a blessing when your men want to wear the things you make them. You should be proud, these hoodies are great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another excellent hoodie. I like the two tone detail, the shade combination is unexpected but the 2 neutrals look good together in an understated way and make the hoodie much more interesting than a plain one would. You have a great eye.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cool. And it's a boy top too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks wonderful! Boys can be as particular about their clothes as girls (sometimes more so), and it's such a thrill imo when we hit the mark with our sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool. I am looking forward to seeing the results of the dyeing soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job! You know you've done well when the kids where the clothes you've made for them - that's a compliment!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really like the two-tone hoodie, and your eye for combining the fabric is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love to wear hoodies!This hoodie is looking simply awesome and stylish!Also color combo is also very cool!Liked it!

    ReplyDelete