Thursday, September 27, 2012

Bared ankles and showcased shoes

O hey peeps!
Today I am sporting new capri trousers, and a pair of new ballet flats!  This may not seem a particularly momentous thing to announce, but aack-choolly... I am recklessly smashing through two new-to-me fashion ceilings in one fell swoop!  
Whoaomigoshholdthephone!
I used to worry that I was too tall and not cute enough for the capris/ballet flats look.  But y'know what?  I'm kinda newly loving this look quite a lot lately...
My capris are made using Vogue 1115, and the fabric is a pale sand-coloured stretch sateen remnant from the Alannah Hill fabric outlet in Melbourne, bought during a visit two years ago....  hmmm, high time it was made into something, non?  Well, I think this fabric was just waiting for this very pattern, like Cinderella waiting for Prince Charming.  Or was it that she was waiting for the glass slipper?  Hmmm, not sure the analogy is holding itself together there...  anyhow, the remnant happened to be exactly the right size to just perfectly fit the pattern pieces.  And they all lived happily ever after  ;)
I love the top stitching details, with the little bar tacks.
I chose this Chado Ralph Rucci pattern partly because it is rated Advanced/Plus Difficile, and I just love trying out challenging patterns.  However, a seamster of only a few years experience should not be put off by the Advanced rating; it only takes one quick scan of the pattern sheet to realise that this only applies to the matching top .... the pants could hardly be simpler!  Particularly if one chooses to leave off the full lining.  I live in Australia.  It gets hot here.  One chooses.  :)
The only other change I made was to cut the legs pieces longer, to enable me to fold up a deeper hem and so therefore to sew the side seam slits to be longer.  I really like the look of the hem slits, I think they are really cute and I wanted them to stand out!
I might be a teeny bit disappointed that the pattern posed no challenges, but I am not disappointed with my new capris.  According to the fashion mags, trousers this season are falling neatly into two distinctive silhouettes; either over-long and flared 70's style (tick!) or with higher hemlines to expose a slim ankle a la Audrey Hepburn.  Tick!  And a nice thing about capris is that the higher hemline beautifully showcases the shoes.  Like these lovely colourful little ballet flats from Misano.  
These are soooo ultra cute, yes!?

Details:
Capris; Vogue 1115 with the lining left off; sand-coloured stretch sateen
Shirt; my own design, made from an old pair of white linen pants, details here
Scarf; knotted strips of jersey, first shown here
Shoes; a gift from Misano

Following is my review of the pattern, if you're interested  :)


Pattern Description:
Lined, tapered above ankle-length pants, have seam details, side slits, zipper and back yoke.
Pattern Sizing:
American sizes 6-12; mine are a size 10
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you had finished sewing it?
Yes.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Very easy!
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
There is nothing not to like!  I love absolutely everything about these pants…  I really like the curved seamlines down each leg, and the double topstitching detail with a little bar tack.  I adore the hemline side seam slits.  Subtle, classy and cute!
One of the reasons I chose the pattern is because it is an advanced/plus difficile pattern, and I love challenging patterns.  However that rating must only apply to the matching top, because the pants are super easy!
Fabric Used:
Stretchy sateen
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I left off the lining because the climate I live in is not conducive to lined pants!
I cut the trouser legs a little longer so I could fold a deeper hem and therefore sew the side slits to be longer, because I really liked this feature and wanted them to stand out more.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Without a doubt; and highly!  I am looking forward to sewing up the top sometime too.
Conclusion:
A very nice pattern; easy, with classic lines and a very current silhouette.  I am very happy with my new capris.  Seriously, I cannot believe now it has taken me this long to hop onto to the capri bandwagon…

50 comments:

  1. What fabulous capris (and flats). The detail is great. Your skills are amazing. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are cute! I love all the seaming details. Hmmm... Now I'm wondering if this pattern is OOP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, these are gorgeous - so flattering! I always worry about capri pants making me look shorter than I already am, but these look brilliant on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you are so talented with the needle and thread. I love your creations. I must learn. Can I plead abuse by my 8th grade sewing teacher as my excuse for the lack of talent?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm vertically challenged therefore capris cut me off and I have'nt climbed on the bandwagon however on you, these look fantastic...and those shoes...colour blocking - Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great on you, I like them. I think the length is good. I have tried on many pairs of capris and being long legged myself like you I think sometimes some of the lengths just don't look right on myself. This length I think I could do. As always you did a fantastic job on them! I would love to be able to look at the water like you can! One would have to drag me away from it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great! I love the whole outfit really. I really like your shirt too. That Western Australian coast line - how amazingly beautiful! I too am vertically challenged but I love capri length pants and wear them anyway. The curved seamlines are really different. Will you make the top?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your new capris look terrific. The front seaming and back yolk give a lovely fit. And of course you have perfect seam matching, we would expect no less! The Alannah Hill store is on my 'to visit' list for next Melbourne trip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really do look great in them! I also have not really worn capris, thinking myself too tall (5' 9"). May I ask how tall you are??

    SIgh.... how much I would love to be able to watch you sew for awhile! You say no challenges in this pattern, but I KNOW that I would find challenges, especially trying to make them look as good as you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute. I wanted to wish you a belated happy birthday. My latest adventure that has been keeping me busy has been planning one of my daughter's weddings coming up in November.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice look there and rtw capri's are so hard to find. I should just follow your lead I think.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You absolutely can pull off the capris and flats look! The seaming details are scrumptious, it makes me consider this pattern (which i never looked at twice before.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. super cute shoes definitely! and that detailing on your capri really really great. amazing and NEAT!!! when i grow up i wanna be just like you... hehehehe... LOL :) u know what i mean :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. And for your first capris you wouldn't make just any old pattern you choose Ralph Rucci Chado! Love all the details and as always expertly constructed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look great! I've missed this pattern before, but I relaly like the topstitching details and the hem slits.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the pattern review. They look great and I'm tempted to invest in this pattern. I would never think about lining pants either.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous pants! I know I have this pattern from several years ago, I just have to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice pants, love the details, and I have a crush on your shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Au contraire, capris & ballet flats were MADE for us tall folks! I love the topstitching details, and the fit looks great!!! But mostly I'm in awe of how fast you sew! You are a machine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. hold the damn phone! first i thought i clicked on coco rocha's tumblr, then i thought you bought pants! double win!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love these pants, which surprises me as I have a deep psychological barrier to overcome when it comes to capris. I just don't like the way they look on me, although the detailing on this pattern might make the difference Sateen is my favourite fabric of all, can't say why, I just love it. I saw some lovely apple green sateen the other day that would look super cute in this pattern. It would match your shoes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it! From the photos you certainly aren't too tall for capris and pumps. Love the seam detailing. And those pumps are so bright and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great capris. I love the little details you've highlighted. Your top stitching is much better than mine.

    Like the shoes too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your new look! The colors in those shoes are esp. awesome. I used to think I couldn't wear capris either, but then I threw caution to the wind a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. You look fantastic! You are tall and slim...the capris-ballerina look was made for you! You´ll get adicted, just wait and see. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the ballet flats and the capris. Funny these are on my to do list and I am currently working on my muslin. Capris and ballet flats are my favourite look for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You look great. Pants are so nice. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hola guapa,

    Has sido galardonada con un premio de parte de mi blog Lady Cósima.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just gorgeous - both capris and shoes. Happy belated birthday! I do love your writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Too tall for capris?!!. I thought they were merely impossibly unflattering for the short legged amongst us (cough). You look fabulous in capris, and your shoes are uber cute.Your topstitching on that curved seam is amazingly accurate and even, I admire your attention to detail.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such lovely images and styling... again! Love this post & outfit. One problem, now I want capris!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You look absolutely wonderful! The seaming on the pants does make them special. Love the shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  33. another fantastic Vogue designer pattern, super cute pants and love the colorful shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lovely pants and photography. I've been meaning to try the same pants pattern, in a stretch twill and lengthened slightly. I am only 5'5" and a size 12-14. I hate that cropped pants look on myself.

    http://badmomgoodmom.blogspot.com/2008/06/how-i-spent-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  35. You are never too tall or too rich! And you didn't think you were cute enough - do you look at your own pictures on this blog?!! You are gorgeous! And your blog is fabulous! You know your style and wear it well! More, please!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love your capris. I also love your styling. Those shoes plus your scarf is perfect with the shirt and capris.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love your Capri pants. Am always looking for details in pants & this pattern is perfect. Love the flats too! Did you use an edging foot to create the front seam line? Must check out the pattern. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love capris, and your new ones look fantastic. The curved front seam and long slit hem are really nice details, and the shoes...They are so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love all the outfit, but the capris are fabolous!!!!! That flats give an incredible colour explosion, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm not sure I get the 'too tall and not cute enough' part. I would have said tall was brilliant for this look - it's us short dumpy types that can't wear those cropped pants. Long skinny feet look best in ballet slippers. The wide foot that sort of spills out is not a good look. Also, because these are available in so many cheap models, I can see some women really ruining their feet walking too much in them. They rarely provide much support. I agree you don't much resemble Audrey Hepburn, but what a boring world it would be if everyone did! You look very nice in those cropped trousers and ballet flats.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Fabulous capris - love the cream with white and I LOVE, nay I am smitten, by those shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  42. This is a really good look for you - & I love those shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Very smart capris and love the ballet flats.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Very funky look..trendy too.the shoes are lovely!I love your style!You are looking great..Your blog is awfully appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I have to say that this style looks perfect on you! Many times we deny the garments or styles without giving them a chance, I'm glad you decided to give a chance to capri pants and flat shoes, because you look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete