Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Pattern Pyramid, and shape shape...

I was thrilled to find in the post box a package sent over to me by TJ of the perfect nose; thank you so much TJ!
The Pattern Pyramid is a terrific idea dreamed up by the clever and gorgeous Karen, with the aim of tying us all together as one big happy global sewing family and spreading the sewing bloggy love by sharing a bunch of patterns and all making something out of a common pattern pool... cool idea, no?  I just love group challenges... so of course I jumped on the bandwagon immediamente...
Karen had the plan that we would select a pattern from the pool to keep, and TJ had the additional brilliant idea to send on all the patterns in her batch, which I agree is a very nice improvisation so I shall be doing the same.... plus I chose my pattern from the Burda magazine and I would feel like a right selfish meanie if I kept that magazine with all its fantabulous selection of patterns all for my very own  :D
you even get a cute label  :)
I can promise you, my own choice is an interesting one... and results will appear here in due course... stay tuned!
In the meantime and as stipulated in the rules I am offering up the above batch of patterns to another interested seamster, so if you want to join in the worldwide, bloggy, sewing, love-fest of fun then please leave a comment on this post.  I'll draw a winner at random in a week's time, and announce it here next Wednesday, 29th August.
That should give me enough time to trace out all just one or two more of the Burda patterns, mwahaha...

In other news, it's come to my attention (thank you Pattern Review) that the Japanese pattern book by Natsuno Hiraiwa is now available in English and is known as "shape shape".  Joy!  Long term readers of my blog will know that I have had the Japanese language version of this book for a few years now and have made a whole heap of things using it, and it is a firm favourite of mine.  At the time that I received it from my friend J, its English translated title on the net was "Unique Clothes Any Way You Like".  Yes I agree, not quite so catchy.  But I accepted its rather unwieldy moniker and dutifully applied it to all my makes from this book.
So:  I am pleased that the book now has a nice simple little easy-to-roll-off-the-tongue-as-well-as-type-on-the-keyboard title, because this will make one of my favourite pattern books a heap more popular in the sewing world too.  However; the abbreviated new title now renders all my posts on the book hopelessly out-of-date.  Yay.
But moving with the times and all that....  consequently the other night I went back and amended all my Unique Clothes etc posts to be labeled "shape shape"... but I didn't rewrite any content of the posts themselves so my descriptions within all those old posts still refer to the book by its original translated name of Unique Clothes Any Way You Like.  But from now on; I shall refer to the book as "shape shape" too.
Clear as mud?  I thought so  :D  Not to worry... but the long and short is that my past projects from this book can be located by searching for shape shape in the label's bar below  :)

47 comments:

  1. I'm in! I've been meaning to add my comment to one of these for a while, but never seem to remember to do it in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I'm in too, with something along the same lines as Bella's comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a bit sad they changed 'unique clothes anyway you like" to shape shape but that's progress!
    I'm in too for the pattern pyramid :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to enter too please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, what a fab idea! Can't wait to see what you are going to make...count me in...please :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been meaning to enter a Pattern Pyramid comp for a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll throw my hat into the Pattern Pyramid ring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm fairly new to reading your blog and enjoy the sewing insights! I looked on Amazon for the book "Shape Shape" and there is one that comes up by Natsuno Hiraiwa that is an older book with not-very-good ratings. Is this the book you like so much? Please clarify!

    Oh, and I'm up for the pattern thing!

    Thanks much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, I'm thrilled to see the Pattern Pyramid go live here! Thank you so much for taking part.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very exciting, I was hoping to win TJ's giveaway and didn't (obviously) so now maybe I get another chance!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Count me in, it would be fun to join in with the Pattern Pyramid, the lovely Karen was my student in May :) and I will be amazed and thrilled if I am picked (it would be a first for me)
    As for the Shape Shape book, you are tempting me to get that but as I am still only looking but not sewing with Pattern Magic I must wait!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh please count me in! This is such a great selection!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Pattern Pyramid sounds like fun! Count me in, I'd love to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please count me in!!! I've never seen a burda magazine, but that ana sui dress looks pretty cute too. Can't wait to see what you make =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please throw my name in the hat too!! Thanks.

    clothesandsewing.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm in! That lovely vintage pattern is calling to me. Pick me! Pick me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, count me in! I love to try other people's patterns from time to time:-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Please put my name in the hat as I have the perfect fabric for that polynesian pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been watching this for a while, and am now throwing my hat in! Please include me :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hooray for patterns :) THanks for keeping it going!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooh fling me into the hat too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Count me in! I love the pattern tracing idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am feeling terribly out of the loop with this fabulous idea. Please throw my name in the hat too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Count me in!! The pattern pyramid is a wonderful idea. Keeping my fingers crossed that I get picked !!'m

    ReplyDelete
  25. Please put my name in the hat! SO exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm turning into a proper PP stalker, please count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi,
    I"m not commenting here to join the pattern pyramid - though it does seem like a fantastic idea^,
    I was thinking about buying Shape Shape but I've read some negative comments on Amazon & Interweave regarding the pattern printing. How is the Japanese book for this? Is the printed pattern easy to trace off?

    thanks for any advice^

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hooray for another pattern pyramid giveaway!!

    my blog: bookwormsewist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. May the odds be forever in my favour, for the pattern pyramid :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Count me in! Love the title "shape shape" - it's so fun to say!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yay for the pattern pyramid! :-) I'd love to be in the draw, please.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'd love to enter the giveaway! There's some really lovely patterns in there, and I'd like to have a squiz inside the Burda magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Me too! I have my eye on that Burda mag, as I can't get them here.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I really wanted that Anna Sui until I saw it on TJ- she looked so incredible- untoppable!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I want to join, I even know what pattern I would send off to a new home :) I bought some great vintage ones at a yardsale.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Ooh, count me in, let's see if it can get to NZ!

    ReplyDelete
  37. The Anna Sui looks lovely and that Polynesian dress is strangely enticing.... too bad summer on this side of the world is almost over. But who am I kidding. I love a Burda mag.

    ReplyDelete