Monday, August 6, 2012

Sleeve

Tattoo-ed sleeves are a "fashion" trend just like anything else, and so hot right now!  (ergo, probably destined to be so not some day  :)  )  in the meantime I've made for myself a new Tshirt that is a nod to the trend...


The sleeves of my Tshirt are cut from an old child's Tshirt with a graphic print on the front, the second, white sleeve is cut from the back obviously! and the body is cut from another white plain Tshirt, both are recent toss-outs from my boys' wardrobes.  I got the idea for my new Tshirt when it occurred to me that the print reminded me of tattoos; a swirly print in bright children's paintbox colours with a thick black outline.


Thinking about a real tattoo sleeve: it continues up and over the shoulder smoothly without interruption; and so I decided a conventional set-in sleeve with the seam on the shoulder would truncate the print and end up looking kinda wrong.  The best style for this look would be a raglan sleeve.
For which I did not have a pattern...
It's funny; a raglan sleeve, whilst a recognised "thing" in the sartorial world, is very poorly represented in the sewing pattern kingdom, don't you think?  In terms of population: the almighty set-in sleeve is the over-ridingly dominant species in the gene pool, closely followed by the kimono sleeve and the humble raglan sleeve is verging on being an endangered species!
So I set out to make my own pattern.  Luckily, I have a small raglan Tshirt from  many years ago which has long since passed into Cassie's possession, so I temporarily repossessed it, and laid it down to trace around the sleeve, and then played around with my own self-drafted Tshirt pattern to fit in the new sleeve with a few minor sizing adjustments.  
So now I have a raglan Tshirt pattern  :)  
The raglan sleeve is a very tall pattern piece compared to one's common-or-garden, set-in sleeve pattern piece, so it took up practically the entire Tshirt!  But I tried to get in as much of the design as possible...  and I love the wide and flattering boatneck-line.   I preserved the lower hemlines of both the Tshirts intact to be the new Tshirt's sleeve and lower hemlines respectively.
My family have all voted this their favourite of my new Tshirts!


Details:
Tshirt; self drafted, made using two old Tshirts
Jeans; Burda 7863 modified, black stretch corduroy, details here
Boots; Andrea and Joen
Sienna; wearing her own fur coat

33 comments:

  1. That is a great idea and when you get sick of your tattoe you won`t have to fork out thousands on laser treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea - love the t-shirts you've been making.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea!! I´m going to look out for some 70ies psychodelic shirts in the thrift store:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it, Carolyn! Fun and whimsical. I have a raglan pattern from Style Arc, though I haven't made it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it. Great use of an old Tshirt!

    I agree about the lack of raglan patterns too. I drafted my own when I had beginners confidence, straight onto the fabric, but I've been putting off doing it again ever since!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very edgy! I like raglan sleeves too - so much easier to sew and fit and much more flattering I think. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very clever pattern placement. I love the previous stripe one also. Funny, while out shopping today, every shop seemed to have variations of stripe tops decorating their window displays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool! And you have the advantage of being able to change it whenever you want, for rather less pain! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, I am very out of touch. I had no idea raglan sleeves were hard to come by. I have made several raglan sleeved items this year.

    I like your nod to the trend. You have done a lovely job refashioning the tees.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great. What a great nod to fashion with your own style. I, too, have made several raglan garments this year. Burda often has raglan patterns, including a great t-shirt. I can lend you a magazine if you need one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol, that is a very kind offer, but I have my raglan sleeve Tshitt pattern now :)

      Delete
  11. Super idea! Fun nod to a trend, without the life-long commitment! This gives me ideas for my embroidery machine, hanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool although the hard rocker image is slightly dented by your gorgeous fluffy hound. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. ;) She's so classic in fur year round!

    Love, absolutely LOVE, your take on the "tatoo arm"!!! I may do a fun copy of that!

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda, she is isn't she? Please let me know how you go with a "sleeve" :)

      Delete
  14. Yes, yes, yes!
    Gold medal for Carolyn for brilliant idea!!!

    LG, from your cheeky fan in the east! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe gold medals are a bit thin on the ground aren't they ;) Thanks Gerlinde!

      Delete
  15. Interesting! I told a friend lately the business to get into now is tattoo removal - going to be big very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love what you've done with the t-shirts! This is much better than tattoos - I'm surrounded by people with tattoos they will clearly regret in 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a kewl idea! I love how you've blended the old t-shirts into a new novel idea. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really clever idea. I like it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My step-son Simon has arm sleeve tats and I hate them. I'm not a major fan of raglan sleeves either, as they don't suit my narrow sloping shoulders as well as set-in sleeves. However I do love boat necklines and I think your t-shirt is a brilliant idea. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The shirt is way cool. I'm heading to the thrift store tomorrow. I have a tat on my ring finger. It's my wedding band. No taking the ring off and calling it quits. No regrets on the marriage or the ink :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great idea! Much more interesting than just recutting the side seams of the printed tshirt

    ReplyDelete
  22. that's such a neat idea. I really like it! I have a great raglan T pattern from Kwik Sew books for the goose, but you're right, it isn't one much made for grown up women....

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely brilliant! I wouldn´t know what to do with two children t-shirt but to toss them in the bin, really! You are always a source of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your t-shirt tattoo - and judging from Siennas smile she does too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hehe, what a fun idea! I'm a big fan of raglan t-shirts. :) I traced my pattern from a shirt, too, but also tried an Ottobre pattern. They have really nice, comfy, everyday patterns in their pattern magazines for women. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. GENIUS!
    what a brilliant interpretation!interpretation!

    ReplyDelete