Monday, July 9, 2012

Raincoat the Second

Ta da!  please allow me to present the raincoat that I have made for Cassie.
It is made using the same self-drafted pattern I used for my own raincoat, with just a few minor fitting adjustments.  All the details are identical to my own coat; the seams in the shell are French seams, waterproofed with Seam Grip, and the coat is fully lined with soft and lightweight white polyester net.
Cassie chose the colour herself and I am happy with the knowledge that she is unlikely to get run over crossing the road whilst wearing this  ;)
I ran into a snag buying the pink fabric, that fortuitously turned into a stroke of brilliant good fortune: previously when buying the royal blue fabric for my own raincoat I had bought 3m to ensure I had plenty to play with, since there is nothing worse than running out of fabric halfway through a project, no?  It turned out 3m was plenty, in fact it was way more than plenty and I ended up with an annoyingly large leftover piece.  This is a pain, because I am really trying to rid my life of leftovers.  Especially icky nylon leftovers which have a very small desirability in my wardrobe.  So when I went in to buy the nylon for Cassie's raincoat I asked for 2m of pink, and was mildly horrified when the roll only had 1.4m left on it.  But the cunning stash-busting part of my brain instantly saw a beautiful possibility....  a quick consultation with Cassie, who cheerfully agreed that yes, a wide blue stripe did indeed sound very nice (phew!) and I went home with the 1.4m of pink, joyful that I was going to be gainfully using up the rest of that blue nylon after all... and so quickly after it had joined the stash too!  (air fist punch) Yeeah!
Of course it was not all beer and skittles from then on; I did have to conjure up a bit of pattern placement magic, and do various mental calculations for various stripe scenarios, and there is one short extra piecing seam in the blue under one sleeve, but I did manage to squeak the raincoat out of my pieces of royal blue and pink successfully.  I'm pleased to report that the final scrap count is almost non-existent too ('nother air fist punch).

There was a hiccup; the making of this second raincoat did not go as smoothly as the first.  You know how the second time you do a thing everything is supposed to go much much quicker and easier?
Well, no.

Halfway through, my ironing cloth slipped a bit and I managed to iron a hole in one almost-completed front.  It was a very small hole, but it was.  An.  Unmistakeable.  HOLE!  When I saw this; steam started to emit from the ol' ears and I had to walk away to calm down for a few hours.
Once I had regained some composure, I returned to the coat and thought about possibilities.  Y'know when life gives you lemons there is always a silver lining, or something or another, yeah?  And I surprised myself with my own ingenuity by coming up with the idea of a little pocket for her iPod.  Where the offending hole was, there is now a welt, covering a little internal pocket.  It closes with a little mini-strip of velcro, with enough room at the top for the headphone cord to come out.  And fortuitously, the welt is in the perfect position where its vertical opening is covered by the zip placket when the zip is closed, improving waterproof-ability.  Yowza!  It's like I planned it all along!!
Below left; I made the welt as small as I could that could still fit the iPod sliding in sideways, the pocket bag hangs below and to the side... Below right; I stitched the top of the pocket bag to the lining to help reduce the drag effect of having the pocket bag off to the side of its opening.  Fortunately, iPods are very lightweight!
I am happy now.
And y'know what?  I am even more ecstatically happy that none of my boys wants or needs a raincoat, and that this is the end of raincoats.  At least for now.  I'm raincoat-ed out.  I want to make something fun and easy and selfishly frivolous now!
Later, fellow self-fashionistas!

46 comments:

  1. I love the creative solution to the hole - it's genius! I love the creative process...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE how you turned disaster into triumph. I can't wait to see your version of frivolous - no doubt it will be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely coat and great colour. Your solution to the hole problem is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, love that pink, esp. with the blue block in the middle, it makes the pink pop even more! Cool jacket!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blue and pink look great together. And what a save on the hole!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful, wonderful raincoat! The colour is fantastic. No-way that one is going to get lost in a crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous! What a great save! and of course a necessary requirement of the young (and not so young) today!! I must say Cassie's pink is much brighter than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous raincoat, and what a great solution to your hole dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its great! Good way to use the hole :O).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another great jacket! Nice creative thinking about the hole too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done... I can only imagine the smoke coming out of the ears! LOL!! What a fantastic way to work around such a dreadful happening. The coat looks great, Cassie is a fortunate young lady.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's great to have an iPod spot in your rain jacket. I guess Cassie is a little old for a heart applique, which is what I would have done for a hole for my girls. I love these rain jackets.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love reading your blog! Wonderful raincoat and story of the making of it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I recently discovered your blog and must have read every entry now! You have such talent, good taste and poise! I am totally in awe .... may I ask how you manage to be so consistently productive? Do you have a time you set aside each day to sew? I have a family of similar age to yours and although they are now so much more independant, still I cannot carve out enough space to sew much. Poor time management maybe? Do you have any tips?
    Thank you so much for giving all your readers so much pleasure.
    Gilly in UK

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic raincoat, love the colors and your construction is amazing. . . . now I have always wondered, what are skittles ? and "self-fashionistas" that is great, we need to popularize that phrase!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a brilliant solution to that dratted hole! I love how you eeked out the last of the blue nylon, too. Brava! Both jackets are just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You never stop surprising me with your talented outfits. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome save on the burn/melt. Definitely a lemons to lemonade save.

    Still giggling over "I am even more ecstatically happy that none of my boys wants or needs a raincoat, and that this is the end of raincoats." I will likely giggle all day about this comment.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome! Great problem solving on the go! The final product turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  20. carolyn this is awesome, i love it, despite the little voice in my head that says to me "i thought you were going to make utilitarian clothing look good, looks like its already been done" ;-)
    plus i must say cassie's colouring is gorgeous, particularly in the top picture
    louise

    ReplyDelete
  21. Carolyn, dearest,

    are you catching up for the 'cold turkey' stage of lack of sewing you had to suffer during your holiday ????
    (and run away fast here before you're going to 'stretch' my ears ;-) !) :-D

    LG, Gerlinde

    Nevertheless: well done good onya! Seeya!

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh holy cow, this raincoat is FABULOUS!! i think is my fave of the two and it's spectacular. the color is brilliant on Cassie (who, btw, is making me want to go red again!) and i LOVE the iPod pocket!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your raincoats are really great. Lovely to see the bright fabric when the skies are grey. You are very ingenious.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love how you kept taking challenges and turning them into design opportunities! This jacket is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This coat is a knockout against those ominously dark skies! And I suppose the brother will insist on an iPod pocket too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. ... heard on the weather forecast: juuuust in time!
    LG, Gerlinde

    ReplyDelete
  27. Complete genius - scrap freedom, nasty potential hole disaster not merely repaired but turned into a vital equipment location and overall a totally fabulous raincoat. You are on a roll here!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I always love seeing what you make, but when you do your scientific problem solving type sewing - well, that's my favorite. Not that I want you to have these challenges, but it reminds me of my family's way of sewing. The times my mother held up the tiniest handful of scraps after cutting out her projects were always such a trimuph. There were never any quilt pieces left at our house.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thats brillaint.. turning leftovers and iron mishaps into design features.. Mad skillz.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That's great! I love the way you've managed to turn the hole into something useful. It means the ipod isn't in the way of other things in the pockets! :-) Hope Cassie's happy?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fantastic raincoat! I love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  32. good save. don`t you hate it when you stuff up a garment in the final ironing stages .does Cassie know the story of her brilliant little ipod pocket ?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very impressive. You can be proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Carolyn, I have looked all over your blog, but I cannot find the order form for the raincoat. I'd like teal and blue, with some piping, and a place for a hoof pick. Oh, and could you match Woodrow's chestnut coloring for the interior pockets? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wonderful raincoat saved from disasters! They're not as fun as the "frivolous" projects, but these practical garments are so satisfying when you see your kids getting a lot of wear out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Fabulous!

    A question about dialect: I see this entry is tagged "parka". Where I am, a parka is something for cold weather - perhaps merely below 0°C, but more often for the strictly practical coats for really cold weather (like -20°C and colder).

    That's clearly not how you're using the term! What exactly does "parka" mean where you are?

    ReplyDelete
  37. "beer and skittles" - I love that expression and have never heard it before. I'll have to incorporate it in my lexicon! Wow, I've been reviewing your posts and am seriously even more in awe of your sewing skills (maybe when I am your age I will be that good, but alas I don't think there are enough years between you and me). Raincoats? Bras? and a perfect little welted pocket from an ironing mistake. Wow. I love the little yellow stripe on yours, by the way.

    Totally off the wall, remember my friend who lost her husband after the car accident at the end of january? she is moving to Perth at the end of August (where her daughter and son-in-law and four grandkids live) not that you will ever meet each other - I know it isn't THAT small of a city, and I will miss her terribly(even though we live nearly four hours apart right now, but at least in the same state!), thank goodness for email!! But because of you I have such a favorable view of the city and I know she will love it. Anyway, a digression ... I'm hoping I'll be reading you again more often and having my "tea" ... take care!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Let´s try again... I have a very weak connection and it doesn´t like me to comment. But I have to tell you how perfect this parka is and that your daughter is so pretty!
    Loved reading the "hole" story.
    By the way the lower part of the bikini is completed and it´s not wavy, hurray! Thank you for the advise on the stitch lenght!

    ReplyDelete
  39. When do you go into manufacture? Lovely to see a picture of your daughter - she has inherited your good looks.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great raincoat.... and even your photos against a grey sky look absolutely stunning!
    Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  41. Cassie is very lucky, that's a great raincoat! I love how you ingeniously circumvented the fabric-and-stash issue as well as the hole - and I bet Cassie loves the iPod pocket!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Good save. love these bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  43. buy soma carisoprodol for headache - soma medication wikipedia

    ReplyDelete
  44. buy soma online can carisoprodol 350 mg get you high - can i buy soma online

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love, love that pink, esp. with the blue block in the middle, it makes the pink pop even more! Cool jacket!!

    ReplyDelete