Monday, May 14, 2012

Cactus...

... Cassie took this photo when we went into town together today.  I am standing beside a statue, a new piece of street art that at first bemused most Western Australians but is now known as the Cactus
This is a funny (peculiar) name, since cacti are not a native flora to Australia.  
It is also kinda funny (haha), because when I was growing up "cactus" was a slang term, an adjective that one applied to something that had broken down and died.  
As in: "How's the car running, mate?" 
"Nah, mate, it's cactus."


I love the the colours in the photo here, and how everything is gleaming; the wet pavement, the plastic surface of the art and of the skirt: and I like how the black twisting lines up the statue mimic the twist inherent in this Japanese designed top; one of my winter favourites.


Details:
Top; the twist top, from the Japanese pattern book Pattern Magic by Tomoko Nakamichi. cream jersey knit, details here
Skirt; Vogue 1170 lengthened, PU laminate (or "leatherette"), details and my review of this pattern here
Shoes; Sandler (had these for yonks)
Brolly; Charlie Brown, from David Jones
Picture taken around 11am;  Temperature at the time 19C.
Overnight low: 12C; Today's high: 22C 
Both sunny and overcast, some early rain

below, just for interest; the uncropped photo, showing more of the art

24 comments:

  1. That's a lovely picture. You always find the best backdrops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great piece of public art ...almost as nice as your outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woweee. I love these photos! I have been loving all your photo locations, actually. But this green one is so artsy and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh of course I loved your outfit as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous outfit and photographs.

    I love the use of cactus as 'broken'. I think I will adopt it and confuse the bejesus out of my friends.

    (Note to self: Get the japanese pattern books out - Carolyn always looks fabulous in hers!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful top, it must be so cosy and soft! I quite like this piece of art, strange though it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely picture and once again fabulous outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't public art a hoot? And yes,the wet concrete does add another dimension to the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful -- I especially love your top.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the art work in the uncropped photo. Nice twist on the "twist"!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that top! It looks so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, gosh, I LOVE that photo, love that artwork, love your outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooh, the uncropped photo is so cool! Does the wet pavement mean you had rain? I really like that top, it is so deceptively simple but so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thats great- the pose, the blouse. Yup. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have heard that saying about something being 'cactus' but not for a long time. It certainly is an unusual artwork. I am not sure whether I like it or not but the lines on it do match the lines on your top perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great top! I find winter clothes tend to get a bit boring to sew so it's nice to see something a bit different. Might have to invest in that book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a gorgeous photo and sleek look.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great location. Beautiful outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The lines of you top are beautifully reflected in the sculpture. I used MMM as an opportunity for photos amongst a sculpture too (albeit in Sydney) - so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this picture and I find it very original!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very pretty, both the outfit and the photo!

    ReplyDelete