It looks plain, but my new skirt has one fun and unusual little fact about its origins.
The fabric was part of the bundle of fabrics given to me by my friend C from her late mother's stash. That's not the unusual little fact, btw... actually, it seems like a lot of my new item posts start out with that statement, and yes, I fully appreciate my very lovely friend to give to me such a marvellous gift of fabric, and I am roaring through it at a most satisfying rate! Since using up this little bit I still have about four or five choice pieces left...
But about this piece; it is curtaining fabric. Complete with the rubber black-out backing and all... I know, right?! cue images of sister Maria ripping down the nursery curtains in the Sound of Music... but waste not want not, hmm? There was only quite a small piece of it, which along with the heavy texture dictated a skirt.
I decided to use my latest favourite skirt pattern, the one from Vogue 1247. Every version of this skirt I have seen on the internet is extremely cute, and I can sense this is going to become another staple pattern for me too... I love the way it is just like an ordinary little skirt, but has those fabulously unexpected pockets in the front. Who would have thought pockets in such an unlikely place could be so successful?!
A commenter noted that one couldn't put anything bulky in the pockets, and I agree, but really you couldn't put pockets anywhere on a little skirt like this and expect them to carry very much. They are just about the best pockets one could even think of for a silhouette like this, imo. I reckon this was a stroke of genius on the part of the designer. They are perfectly fine for a hanky, a credit card, a mobile phone, and a house key, and really; what more does a lady need?
I added about 10cm to the length of the lower skirt pieces, and flared them just very slightly towards the hemline (approx 1.5cm each side?); and still managed to get all the main pieces of the skirt out of the piece of fabric, but I had to cut the waistband out of other fabric. For this I used heavy and stiff delustred satin (leftover from my trench coat), and I also had to piece together the pocket lining with some of this same fabric. The skirt is lined with the leftover poly satin that was also used to line my ivory trench coat... so really, the skirt is like part of a matching set with that trench coat!
Because the curtain fabric is really quite heavy, I hemmed with a strip of bias cut cotton; meaning less bulk because I didn't have to turn the fabric under twice, plus a longer skirt. Given how tiny this skirt is already, I was aiming to get as much length as possible here!
Given my mad passion for ivory and other neutrals, methinks this is going to become a much worn little thing this winter... bring it on!
Skirt; Vogue 1247 lengthened and lined, heavy cream curtaining fabric, ivory delustred satin waistband, ivory satin lining, my review of this pattern here
Shirt; Burda 7767 modified, khaki linen, details here
Sandals; akiel, from an op shop