But on to far more exciting affairs, ahem; my new dress. The lovely Passiona Cottee sent me this gorgeousness in fabric form in a very generous give-away last year; thank you so much Passiona!
The fabric immediately struck me as very like a Missoni style of fabric, maybe a diffusion line? I wish I knew for sure... The fabric has the signature Missoni design; those distinctive stacked zigzags in a multitude of colours (although having said that I do actually possess a genuine Missoni scarf, seen here, that has hardly any zigzag). Close inspection of my sample revealed seemingly every shade of green under the sun. Das is gut. Green is definitely me. Adding interest to the colour mix; a bit of rust, a dash of salt-and-pepper, a hint of sky blue, the odd startle of vivid orange and even a few rows of ivory; all melding together in a disparate and yet pleasing cacophony of oily swampy shades...
Missoni is a stalwart of the Italian fashion scene and so I wanted make it up into something Italian inspired, and dreamed up this design with a blouse-y linen bodice reminiscent to me of those loosely gathered Italian peasant tops... I only had the teensiest bit of the knit fabric really. Actually, (warning; eco boast following) I used basically the entire piece of fabric... and the bodice is the leftovers from this shirt... so the dress is green in more ways than the obvious, hehe...
I used Burda 8071, a real tried and true, standby pattern that I've used heaps of times before. Lost count actually... (hmmmm just did a mental count, and including two dresses that have gone years ago, I've used this pattern nine times now. Yowza!)
The dress piece was cut with the right side on the fold, to eliminate as much of this side seam as I could. Also, in lieu of body darts which would have destroyed the regularity of the zigzag design, I cut the exact allowance of each dart from straight out of the side edges of the dress pieces (I've done this before too, for this dress here. Works a treat for where sewn-in darts in the fabric are not what you really want, but you still want the shape).
I hand basted the remainder of the right side side edge invisibly together from the right side to ensure the pattern was matched perfectly.
For the left side seam of the dress piece, I cut and sewed bias strips of the khaki linen along the seam allowance, to stabilise the knit fabric behind where the invisible zip is inserted... and the zip was hand basted in place, again so I had complete control of matching up those zigzags as closely as was humanly possible. Yeah; I am neurotic that way, it's OK I admit that... but I am pretty pleased with the results.
The lower hem, well unfortunately the lower edge of the fabric was not in super good nick and was already unravelling in some spots; the stitch loops were threaded through with one flimsy stay-thread which was not doing its job very well. I carefully pulled this out bit by bit, darning where needed, hand embroidering the edge in a tightish blanket stitch leaving lumpy decorative (I hope!) blobs on the points of the zigzags. I'm hoping it looks a bit like a crocheted edge... just the type of crafty finish that I think finishes off this slightly rustic dress to peasant-y perfection.
Dress; Burda 8071, khaki linen and knit fabric.
side view ... and I'm chuffed that I can barely tell that side seam.
and back... Rustic frolicking-in-the-fields would ensue, except that it is a pretty warm day...