You see, today is my husband's birthday; and I have made for him a shirt using Burda 7767 (surprise!), of Aegean shot cotton.
At the risk of self-big-noting... ah what the heck. This is my most well-finished shirt to date, if I say so myself. I went down the path of extra immaculateness as far as inner appearances go, and flat-felled the armscye seam allowances as well as the side and sleeve seam allowances. In some fabrics this might be tricky wicky, but in this amazingly lovely fabric (about which I have previously raved) it turned out to be very achievable... I'm pretty chuffed at how it turned out!
(below left; view of side, armscye and sleeve seams inside the shirt, right; lower hem and both inside and outside view of side seams)
Modifications to the pattern; well, I absolutely love this pattern (obviously, as this is just the latest in a very very long line of my efforts with Burda 7767) but it is super-basic. Honestly; great pattern, but it is pretty much a blank canvas... So once again my long-suffering husband is the innocent victim of experimental, and fortunately minor, mucking about; which he will have to wear out and about in the big wide world for everyone to see... This time I tried out "coat of arms" shaped breast pockets, and shallow, extra wide pocket flaps that extend out well beyond the edges of the pockets. This feature is echoed in miniature on the sleeve hems, with their own little "coat of arms" shaped tabs tucked under a turned-up sleeve cuff. Kinda ups the funk-factor in an acceptably low-key way, no? Well, I think so... Since the sleeve cuffs obviously run the full distance around the sleeve hem, I toyed briefly with the idea of extending the breast pocket flaps to fill the entire width of the shirt front to fit in ... but decided that might be too weird for my husband to consent to wearing. Sartorially speaking he is a pretty conventional bloke, actually; he likes stuff to be ... plain. I think I shall have to work him up gently to wackier stuff like that.
I sewed decorative buttonholes onto the collar points; now one of my favourite standard features to add to a man's shirt, and curved the lower hem. The last is a given, now.
The colour of the fabric is a result of an ultramarine warp with a bright turquoise weft, giving it that iridescent oceanic glow. Kelly green for the thread and the buttons just seemed to "go".
Shirt; Burda 7767 with modifications; of Aegean shot cotton
below; the Superman pose
Now our Aegean Superhero is being taken out to a slap-up birthday dinner by his wife and kiddies. Cheers all!