Thursday, December 22, 2011

Aegean gracefully....

(Forgive the pun; I couldn't resist!  You don't want to be anywhere near me after a few drinkies...  Really)
You see, today is my husband's birthday; and I have made for him a shirt using Burda 7767 (surprise!), of Aegean shot cotton.
At the risk of self-big-noting... ah what the heck.   This is my most well-finished shirt to date, if I say so myself.  I went down the path of extra immaculateness as far as inner appearances go, and flat-felled the armscye seam allowances as well as the side and sleeve seam allowances.  In some fabrics this might be tricky wicky, but in this amazingly lovely fabric (about which I have previously raved) it turned out to be very achievable...  I'm pretty chuffed at how it turned out!
(below left; view of side, armscye and sleeve seams inside the shirt, right; lower hem and both inside and outside view of side seams)
Modifications to the pattern; well, I absolutely love this pattern (obviously, as this is just the latest in a very very long line of my efforts with Burda 7767) but it is super-basic.  Honestly; great pattern, but it is pretty much a blank canvas...  So once again my long-suffering husband is the innocent victim of experimental, and fortunately minor, mucking about; which he will have to wear out and about in the big wide world for everyone to see...  This time I tried out "coat of arms" shaped breast pockets, and shallow, extra wide pocket flaps that extend out well beyond the edges of the pockets.  This feature is echoed in miniature on the sleeve hems, with their own little "coat of arms" shaped tabs tucked under a turned-up sleeve cuff.  Kinda ups the funk-factor in an acceptably low-key way, no?  Well, I think so...  Since the sleeve cuffs obviously run the full distance around the sleeve hem, I toyed briefly with the idea of extending the breast pocket flaps to fill the entire width of the shirt front to fit in ... but decided that might be too weird for my husband to consent to wearing. Sartorially speaking he is a pretty conventional bloke, actually; he likes stuff to be ... plain.  I think I shall have to work him up gently to wackier stuff like that.
I sewed decorative buttonholes onto the collar points; now one of my favourite standard features to add to a man's shirt, and curved the lower hem.  The last is a given, now.
The colour of the fabric is a result of an ultramarine warp with a bright turquoise weft, giving it that iridescent oceanic glow.  Kelly green for the thread and the buttons just seemed to "go".


Details:
Shirt; Burda 7767 with modifications; of Aegean shot cotton

below; the Superman pose
Now our Aegean Superhero is being taken out to a slap-up birthday dinner by his wife and kiddies.  Cheers all!

29 comments:

  1. Aegean blue indeed - this is a gorgeous colour, and a very well-finished looking shirt. Your rosemary is also looking very healthy! Enjoy dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really lovely work as usual! It is a beautiful fabric! Your husband's Superman pose reflects his satisfaction with this shirt! Merry Christmas to you way over on the west!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really like how each time you make this you do something different with the pockets/sleeves/collar etc.
    and might i add, fantastic finishing :-)
    I was thinking of you last night (in a non weird way) when i sewed my first ever french seamed garment, what a difference, i may have to start taking the (little) extra time to make insides nicer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic work! the topstitiching is perfect! A really great looking shirt. Hope you had a wonderful celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! I like your details, including the green buttons, the crest-shaped tab, the topstitching. It looks great with his white pants!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic shirt overall, and the flat-felling in particular looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colour is spectacular! The workmanship - superb!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fantastic finishing on that shirt. The colour looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great details, you're so creative even with a plain men's shirt pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice job, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful Christmas birthday gift. Happy Holidays for you and your family. Your sewing blog is one of the very nicest in internet. Thanks and good wishes for 2012!!!.....Nati

    ReplyDelete
  12. fantastic shirt, love the color. And I always enjoy your puns!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the superhero pose! And wonderful job on the "superhero" inside finishing. Really nice and a great color too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great shirt and I love the colour. You do make me feel bad though, as I bought my husband a shirt for Christmas....oh well maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well-done! I do take the extra time for flat-fell seams throughout, but mine never look as neat as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely work as usual. I love my husband, but not enough to make him anything, let alone a shirt. lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. ohhh, nice shirt. I have a question which you can answer here or on my side: when doing the flat fell seam on the armscye, had you already set in the sleeve? Or, did you sew the sleeve in flat, do the flat felling, and then sew the side seams?

    Beautiful fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  18. GORgeous fabric! And one of the bestest matches of button color to fabric ever - love it! (this coming from a button freak) I hope this shirt gives your hubby much pleasure - the details (all of them) are awesome!

    I'm curious about the answer to Mary's question too....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent colour and impeccable workmanship on your part. I hope you had a lovely dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What detail - you've done a fantastic job and I love the colour. That pattern is going on my list to buy - thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooh, smart shirt.I love the button co-ordination, and kudos for the flat felled armscye seam.
    I am wishing my husband cared for pockets, your shaped pockets and matching tab details make the shirt so nicely finished and individual.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful work, and as always your colors are perfect. Your husband is lucky to own such a shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hehe, loved the pun. Happy Birthday to your hubby! The shirt is beautiful, I love the color and the slightly contrasting buttons. As ever, you're the queen of finishings! I don't think I've *ever* sewn something so neat!

    Happy Holidays all the way to Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy birthday to Mr. Handmade. The shirt is lovely. LOVE your interior finishes. And my hems when curved are never quite that lovely. You must let me have your secret sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you all!
    Mary and Jilly Be, I sewed the sleeve in flat, and then flat-felled the seam allowance. Followed by the sleeve and side seam in one, which was then flat-felled itself after...
    I am planning a little tutorial on flat-felling a curved seam allowance soon, if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you Carolyn! I'll keep an eye out for your tute :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautifully made, your workmanship is impeccable.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous fabric. I love the button choice too. Beautiful shirt.

    ReplyDelete