Saturday, November 12, 2011

A sleeveless top, con latte

I've made a new top!
This is the little top from Vogue 1248, made of a light cotton voile the colour of pale milky coffee, and with miniature metallic silver polka-dots dotted sweetly all over like a starry starry sky...
the most interesting feature of this top is that it has a triple collar.  This, I love.  How cool and easy is this idea? so simple and so cute and yet you don't see multiple collars very often, if at all.  When I was planning the top, I thought how wonderful it would be to make the collars in different colours to really show off this feature but couldn't find matching weight fabrics in colours I liked, and I vetoed as being too wasteful the idea of dyeing tiny little collar-sized pieces of fabric.  So in the end I took the easy route of just using all one fabric.  Next time... and yup, I am already plotting a next time, mwahaha (watch this space!)
The top also has snap-opening plackets both front and back, and I chose silver snaps to match the tiny silver dots on the fabric.
I'm not thrilled with the snaps... because my fabric is very very light and just may be too fragile for snaps, yikes!  Undoing the snaps I am veeery carefully and slowly prising them apart, absolutely terrified of ripping the fabric.  But this is completely my fault for not putting in heavy-duty enough interfacing to stabilise the plackets enough, something to bear in mind.
Another unusual feature about this little top; the two fronts and the two backs just go into the collar; with no shoulder joining seams, or any shoulder at all, for that matter!  So really my calling it a sleeveless top is not going far enough; it is more specifically a shoulderless as well as a sleeveless top.  I just went with "sleeveless" because; well, "sleeveless and shoulderless top" up in the blog post title is not super-succinct but is a bit of a mouthful and would have just befuddled and confused and had y'all going, "wha'?? no sleeves and no shoulders, well how can there be any top even left?".... but yeah, one's shoulders are bare too.  This will a good feature for summer in a hot hot climate like ours; just as long as one remembers to slather on that suncream before heading out.
Following the "finishing off as well as I can" policy; the princess seams are flat-felled, the side seams are French seams, and the armhole facings are edged with self-fabric HongKong seaming but with the fabric reversed so as to have the silver dots hidden inside.
(left; inside the top and clockwise; HongKong seaming around the facing, flat-felled princess seaming, French side seaming: at right; that interesting triple collar)

Details:
Top; Vogue 1248, pale coffee cotton batiste with tiny silver polka-dots
Skirt; Burdastyle 10/2010, 136, made of black suiting, details and my pattern review here
Shoes; Misano, bought from Labels boutique

Pattern Description:
Top: fitted front and back snap closing
Pattern Sizing:
4-10 in this envelope, I made a straight size 10
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you had finished sewing it?
yes
Were the instructions easy to follow?
yes
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I totally adore the triple collar feature!!  Sooo cute!  Will be doing this one again for sure, and using different coloured fabrics to highlight the three collars next time...
The length is a nice one which allows the top to look equally good out loose as well as tucked in.
Fabric Used:
very lightweight cotton batiste
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I didn't make any pattern alterations, but I did flat-felled seams on the princess seams, French seams at the side seams, and applied self-fabric HongKong seaming on the armhole facing edges.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes, I am already planning my next version in multiple fabrics, to show off that adorable triple-collared feature...!  I do recommend this cute and slightly unusual little top pattern to others too.
Conclusion:
Initially I was a little skeptical about this top pattern, as I tend to shy away from clothes which require special undergarments, but well, logically if you own a halter neck bra then you should wear it at least once in a while, no?  And I do love this cute little top, I think the shape is flattering, feminine and quite unusual.  My husband likes my shoulders on show like this, and I think the high neckline still gives the top a modest flavour and doesn't make me feel too exposed so it is a win all round!

41 comments:

  1. Looks like a very cool and stylish shirt, the fabric is really pretty. For me I think the collar stand is very high though! (and you probably can't wear a normal bra with it?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your top looks amazing! I really love the style details. I have to also mention that I am totally in awe that you have perfectly sewn three collars. Just sewing one can drive me mad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I'd love to see one in different fabrics. I love quirky little details like this. I also really like the cut-away style. It's a very flattering shape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My new favorite of your tops...love the cutaway shoulders, and the triple collar. Can this top be worn "backwards"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great top, and I LOVE the collar.

    To dye small pieces of fabric, you can use the low immersion method (google it), which uses less water and dye than vat dyeing. There's also a microwave method that some people use, but I never have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! I also love the triple collar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a lot of work, done beautifully!
    and i love that skirt, how cute is that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely work! I have this pattern in my stash, I bought it for the skirt pattern. I had no idea the top had a triple collar. It is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great look, triple collar, what an idea, another for me to steal. And I covet that skirt, fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very sharp top, with some clever details!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love, love! I esp. love your combo with the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that top! I have the pattern, but somehow it always slips my mind! Now that snow is falling here though, it will have to wait for Canadian spring. I also covet that skirt - did you make it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I should read the fine print more carefully! Found the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A conservative and out there top all rolled into one - interesting. Your collars all look perfect as well. Love your skirt as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this style, a detail uncovered shoulders are very sexy, but not too much exposed skin, perfect fit, sexy and elegant at once. Collar as interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your new top, the triple collar is awesome! The whole outfit is great actually, the colours and designs go really well together.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this triple collar detail it looks fantastic and I'm excited for the idea of doing a triple collar in multiple colors too! I always think snaps are iffy, but they look great on your top and also interesting that they have done this for the front and back!

    You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous! Love the triple collar - maybe you could ombré dye a length of material to get the shaded thing for the collars next time? Do reckon the skirt in the pattern would give you the look of child bearing hips? Is it a miyake design (cos he approaches design like the Two Fat Ladies address cooking. Issey: take 40 m of material, 300 hard to find fastenings; TFL: take a sheep, stuff it with butter, smother it with cream...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh! I really love this chic outfit!I am starting a sewing linky party today called Sew & Tell Saturday at my website and I am hoping to get some vintage sewists aboard to post their projects because there aren't any sewing linky parties to show off vintage sewing. But you can post anything fabric related too! Kids stuff, knitting, crafts... I hope you can come over and post a link to your blog today! Thanks so much!Justine @ Sew Country Chick

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous top and pattern. The top is perfect with your skirt too, which I still love and admire.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those two items really go together! I love the top and those unique features of snaps on front and back and the triple collars. I saw that Burda at the library the other day (with the skirt in it) but I think seeing the really short length puts me off but seeing yours again make me think again.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a stunner. Love the double colour and the intrigue of back and front openings. I can see you making a few of these over time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your top looks so much better than the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How very chic! I love the triple collar and cutaway sleeves. They make such interesting details. Every time I see you in that skirt it makes me want to have one. I really must make on one day.

    ReplyDelete
  25. A triple collar, love it! So different, so stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sandi said----Fantastic find. I like the style. So ideal for Perth hot weather. Cool but smart in appearance without over exposure skin. The the three layer collar breaks the high neck line perfectly. What a marvellous idea.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great top and so interesting with the triple collar and cut away shoulders.
    Love the black skirt also.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really love your top! The no-shoulder cut, the buttons both front and back detail and the triple collars are fantastic. I might have to get my hands on that pattern, or try to draft one for myself. I'm thinking maybe a cream white combined with chocolate brown and hot pink for the undercollars and matching colorful buttons... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the collar! Three - count 'em - 1, 2, 3 - collars! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  30. BEYOND cool. I didn't even notice that feature on this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I also have this pattern, i bought it for the skirt, because i saw a post on your blog and i was like "OMG totally my style, i love ite, i need it". Yes, i'm weak :)
    (i found the pattern very cheap on ebay)
    When i saw the top on you, i think i will do both, skirt and top, because that's a really cool pattern. Of course, your result is stunning, and i really find valuable all the details and the care about the seams and the finishing. Marvellous!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You always find the most interesting patterns! Triple collar, shoulderless, with snaps in the front and back! It looks lovely on you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. That is such a great collar. It will look fab with different coloured collars.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your blog! It has become my must-read for the day in a long list of sewing blogs. Thank you so much for sharing your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  35. love, love love this outfit!

    (and no, I am not a curator (one day maybe who knows?), but a grad student in studio arts, discovered 'on the late' - whole brief story, French w/ business degree, then math & phys. degree, moved to the US w/ my husband and 2 babies, 2 'extra' babies later and still no green card I decide to try a old dream of mine: art classes - hooked right away, and 3 years later I am in a grad pg - I found the blog was the easiest way for me to keep track of artists I find interested, and to be able to find them without spending hours in my sketchbooks )

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is such a cool top and I love it with your black skirt. I think I need to have this pattern too. I can't wait to see that collar done up in 3 different colors.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Nice top. The collar is such a fun detail!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Lovely outfit! I love that collar, great work. You look fab in that outfit

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Carolyn, you're the only person on the internets that I have found that has made this wonderful top. LOVE IT! I made this top this weekend, I wanted to show you my version, I hope you like it.

    http://kazzthespazz.com/?p=1050

    Kazzthespazz.com

    ReplyDelete