Saturday, November 5, 2011

Blue bunches

Next up in my Japanese pattern book experiments...
When I saw this top in Pattern Magic 3, by Tomoko Nakamichi, I nicknamed it the "bunches" top.  Y'know because the other one on this same page was the "ponytail" top (not its real name, btw)  Well this one had two fabric thingies bursting out of each side of the self-fabric scrunchie thingy (it's OK, I know what I'm talking about) so since we used to call this hairstyle "bunches" when I was in primary school then that is what I have dubbed this top.  In actuality, it has the same name as the ponytail top, (thread escaping loophole, thank you to Yoshimi, Janine and KD!) version A
But I have to admit the final result is actually not super "bunch"-y but is just sort of "knot"-y.  Even verging on "bow"-y.  This is because of my choice of fabric, a rather fine and light cotton knit and with not as much body as the green cotton jersey I used for the ponytail top.  So in my version here, that long casing for the bunches hasn't held its shape at all but just collapses in on itself.  I thought that the lighter fabric would be better, but now I see that the thicker fabric did give a better structural result.  Don't worry, I will still be wearing this top a whole bunch (hehe) this summer; its bright bright ultramarine blue shade is very vivid and therefore so very now.  Very colour-blocking...  See that, how I manage to slip trendy buzzwords like colour-blocking in to my posts like that, hmmm?  Oooh, I'm so with-it...  not!  But I do newly love this intense colour.  I confess I'm seriously craving shoes in this colour...
I think it can be worn successfully either way.  With the bunches at the back you get some interest at the back of the outfit, which is nice.  It's noice it's different it's unusual... *  Often in an outfit there is nothing interesting to look at from the back view.  Something else I've discovered since I started taking pictures of my clothes...  
I think I like better it with the bunches at the back.  What do you think?
bunches; source
* an Aussie in-joke


Details:
Top; drafted from Pattern Magic 3, by Tomoko Nakamichi, made of lightweight cotton jersey knit
Skirt; my own modifications of Vogue 8363, burnt orange raw silk, details here, and this skirt styled in 6 different ways here
Sandals: la soffitadi Gilde, from Zomp shoes

24 comments:

  1. The back bunched version gives you some wrinkling around the bust that I'm not so fond of ...What does the back of the top look like when it'S bunched at the front? I love the colour though. Oh and your names ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Butterfly; the back view when the bunches at the front is just boring... like a standard tank over a skirt. Thus no picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colour is terrific,it looks great with your burnt orange skirt. When you find those shoes, let us know where!
    I think this is a nice top,and it looks very wearable and useful, but it does not quite have the Wow factor of the ponytail version IMO, maybe the assymetry makes the fabric scrunchie thing (technical term) more of a focus in the green top? Or as you say, the thinner fabric here might not work in the same way. I too prefer it tied in the back, the waist crinkling at the front is quite pretty and flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always look so fabulous . I love they way you put colours together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you - I like the bunches better at the back, but it's a pretty cool looking top either way. Great backdrop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite color combo, so I can hardly be objective :-).
    But yes, one of the things I like most about Japanese clothes is the strong remnant of back interest many have. Western clothes have gone the 'coffin' route long ago (or 'mail order catalog' to be more accurate). I'm failing to remember exactly which kimono history book I read talked eloquently about how sitting in chairs destroy the traditional Japanese emphasis on back adornment, obi bows, nape of the neck erotica etc..

    ReplyDelete
  7. "bunch"-y "knot"-y "bow"-y - love your vocabulary! Another interesting pick from that book and yes I share the crave for color-blocking:))

    ReplyDelete
  8. My vote is for in the back too. Fabulous color!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're starting to make me think that I need this book. I took through advanced conversational Japanese, but I've lost so much of it that I'd probably have the dictionary out while I went through it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Either way, this top is wonderful. Beautiful colour.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great top and I love it with the bunches in the back. The design is interesting and artistic though definitely wearable in a regular life. I hope I am being clear. You look wonderful in this and the colors are so rich.

    Thanks for the comment on my blog-it's always nice to get a compliment :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like it both ways, the color is fantastic. now I have to get this book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love both ways - you have got two different looking tops out of one garment. I love the interesting style and the vibrant colour is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. bunched knot, i like it, i love the knots tied at front!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the the tie at the back.

    Your "noice" joke....is that a Kath and Kim thing?

    ReplyDelete
  16. You make any outfit look great so I think it looks wonderful either way :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooooo!!!!! I LOVE the colour combination!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just lurve blue with orange! I much prefer the back bunch to thr front. I think the creases you get at the front when you have the bow at the back are accordian-like (ie interesting) and also make a flattering, fitted front bodice shape.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pretty! I love the colour and the bunching is a cool detail. :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous colors! I like the top both ways. If both views are of one and the same top, it would be a great piece to pack when you're traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like the bunching at the back best too. I think the ties form at better looking knot at the back than the front. That said, it could easily be worn both ways.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous top. I prefer the knot in the back as well. But it looks great both ways.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a cool top. I especially like it tied in the front, but it is a fun and versatile piece because you can switch it up. The top and skirt color look fantastic together!

    ReplyDelete