Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Pattern Magic 3; dress with 4 sleeves

... aka; the design on page 18.  I'm sorry I don't know the correct English translation of its name; but it is the design I picked as my favourite from the very first flick through of this marvellous book.   I apologise for the photo overload, like seriously!  Sooo many photos sorry, and particularly after my oft-repeated rant about the vanity of zillions of photos of the same blinking outfit, in one post.... yikes.  But this dress has several unusual little features, creating lots of different views that all needed picturing to appreciate them.  I tried to keep the numbers down, honestly.   The thing is; innovative fashion sometimes needs to be seen from lots of angles in order to appreciate all the little extras.  So that makes it all OK now, yah?  Still friends...?
And now guess what... this is the same dress....!
No, I'm not kidding... the back views...
still the same dress...
It is very easy to draft and make up, and I used a medium-weight cotton jersey.  I fiddled about a bit with the shaping to get a more shapely middle section, because the dress as it is is rather sacklike.  Oh, OK then, it is still pretty sacklike.  My husband commented I looked "choir-y".  Thanks, sweetie.  Actually, I'm very happy to add another costume-y thing into my wardrobe.  Terri commented on my Futuristic Nun dress that she like the idea of me as a nun, and I have to secretly admit that I like the idea of myself as a nun too.. and a choirboy sounds like a pretty good sartorial aspiration too, methinks.
I also added length, which eventually got shaved off again, piecemeal.  It was a toss-up between having an extremely loooong dress when worn one way, and a pretty short dress when worn the other way.  I strived for the best compromise I could... and I think I can still wear this decently the short way, sans tights.
So, it has three openings at the top, which could be either sleeves or a neck-hole, whichever you prefer.  These are funnel shaped.. and I decided to leave the edges raw here.  Partially because my fabric was a little thicker than ideal, and to hem would have added some bulk and made the edges more defined.  I decided this was not what I wanted here.  When these sleeves/neckholes are acting as a scarf, you really want the whole area to be quite floppy and soft, and if I had hemmed or faced these areas they would have lost this quality...  The lower edge is similarly left raw.
There are two additional holes at mid hip height.  When you are wearing the dress at full length, they appear as sort of pocketholes, but without the actual pockets.  So, you will need to wear either tights underneath the dress, as I have here, or a long camisole.  That is unless you like for your undies to be on display...  but hey, nobody's judging ...  much.
When you use these holes as armholes, this is when the whole top bit becomes a kind of scarf.  Pretty cool, huh?  These lower holes needed proper edging, so I finished them with a narrow band overlocked in a ring, folded right sides together along the long midline, and then simply overlocked in place.
more side views...
And kbenco requested a view of the heel of Mum's socks; so here it is.  The stripes join in a kind of star design; yup, they are pretty clever, yes?


Details:
Dress; the design on p18, drafted from the Japanese pattern book Pattern Magic 3, by Tomoko Nakamichi; ivory cotton jersey
Tights; my own design; red cotton jersey here, my tutorial for drafting your own custom fit tights here
Socks; handknit by my mother, here

21 comments:

  1. Amazing! Having a cowl neckline, and experimenting with various necklines would give some fantastic effects, too. The lower armholes could have sleeves, which could be "tucked in" when the dress is worn in its longer version - this way the armhole openings would actually look like pockets, and there would be no need to wear tights.
    I really like your experiments, they so move my imagination and are very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Very interesting. This one takes the cake. Super fun design. You look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is incredibly cool and fun!

    I am one of those who puts up lots of pictures, so I am thoroughly enjoying this one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You definitely need lots of pictures for something as unique as this! How cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Supersocks superdress supergirl supercat:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's cool! Pure design genius.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very, very interesting. You definitely could not have done this dress justice with just one photograph. It looks absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. More "art" than "clothes" really! The socks with it make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, I really love this! I have the first and second pattern magic books, and they really are amazing! Still haven't gotten around to actually making something out of them, partly because I keep thinking to myself "when on earth am I going to wear something like this?" and partly because the ones I really really want to make are the ones that seem the most complicated (of course!) However, every time you make something out of the books, it comes out really cool and you do make it look effortless! Thanks for being inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a unique and arty dress. I much prefer the short version to the long version and think it really gels with your very groovy personal style. I always enjoy your PM outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a great pleasure to vicariously explore these patterns through your posts. The dress looks very cool, but I particularly like the shorter version.
    Thank you for the heel close up, those socks are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like it was a lot of fun to sew and wear. Most of us probably look through Pattern Magic and wonder, what would that look like in real life? And here you are, showing us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can not say this is simply brilliant so - this is complicatedly brilliant. Agree with Karin - the socks and this dress together - who else could pull off this look but you !

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG greeeeattt i love this. I need to look if the book is avaliable in english, because only japanese... Uhhh, i'm not sure that with such complicated design i will be able to underestand something.
    As usual, your version, so simple and still refined, is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an interesting design! You wear it well, as only you can do! Love the funnel/cowl neckline.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I love this dress though I'm not sure I could wear it (not even close to a typical 'japanese' figure). I have Pattern Magic 1 which I am still waiting to make something from. You have inspired me to go look again - with a view to action!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hehe, definitely a magic dress! I love the toga-like look from the side. I could totally see this in a wild b/w&grey print...

    ReplyDelete
  18. The lower armholes that look like pocket openings actually remind me of fitchets, which were used in medieval clothing in a particular period.

    You would wear a gown and a belt, with a pouch hanging from the belt. Overtop of all of this you'd wear an outer gown. Fitchets in the outer layer give access to the pouch that hangs underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  19. it's called "Whack-A-Mole" like the game, cause you can put your head through different holes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, that is incredibly cool and fun! I am one of those who puts up lots of pictures, so I am thoroughly enjoying this one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. hi - i have just made this dress and have to work on the finish - the shoulders on yours are the same as mine (which is reassuring) and like you, i will put more shaping in the torso. i ended up making it in a cotton and polyester ribbed knit, which is a bit too heavy and if i was to make it again, i would try a wool mix if possible as it would be lighter - i keep thinking it will stretch and grow due to the weigh. thanks for posting the pics

    ReplyDelete