I've seen a couple of other little orange skirts just like this recently, namely Gail's and Yoshimi's, so you will have to take my word for it that I bought this fabric a couple of months ago and have had this skirt at the nearly finished stage for a few weeks! So, I claim immunity from copy-itis, but instead invite you to marvel for a minute at the like-mindedness of great minds...
Now actually there is an element of copy-itis going on. I saw a skirt in the window of Cue with an interesting waistband, pleat and pocket feature. I am always on the lookout for interesting ways to incorporate pockets into straight skirts, a silhouette that I think suits me but is often difficult to put a pocket in successfully. I thought the Cue team had done a marvellous job. All Aussies will know how Cue along with its sister store Veronika Maine are veritable goldmines for interesting little features a seamstress can think about incorporating into her garments. I just love browsing these stores, and if I wasn't making my own clothes I would be wearing their designs. Along with my all-time favourite Metalicus, of course... Anyhoo, I digress; so, I went home inspired, then it was a week or so before the next visit to the fabric store, then it was another week or so before I got around to constructing my skirt. So I was doing it from memory and it turns out mine is quite different from the Cue one, which on my next pass by the store window I noticed had two pleats, both situated between the front middle panel and the pocket. Mine ended up having but one pleat, situated underneath the front middle panel. Oh, OK OK, a fairly miniature difference that only a nit-picking detail-maniac like me would notice... but, doesn't matter the design still works for me...
I adapted one of the Vogue 8363 variations, modifying by redrafting the front waistband piece to have a lower curve (I wanted this shape as opposed to a flat straight waistband) and drafted a middle front panel and re-drafted the skirt front piece accordingly to accommodate these two changes. The two front darts of the pattern were partly integrated into the middle front panel, and partly transformed into the small pleat. The beauty of this pleat is that it enables some "hand-room" for when one is using the slanted front pockets. Voila! I'm extremely pleased with how it turned out. I can shove my hands down deep into the pockets and the discreet little pleat enables one to do this comfortably, while still maintaining a nice little straight skirt silhouette.
The only thing about the design I'm not completely happy with is the middle front panel. On the Cue skirt it looked really good, on mine I think it looks less so, and wish I had kept it as part of the front skirt piece. I think it is do do with my fabric choice, the flatness of the fabric means the less seaming, the better it looks. The Cue skirt was made of a quite textured fabric with a very busy multicoloured weave, which looked very good with the separate panel pieces... if I do this again I will try to remember this...
When I bought the burnt orange, there was no matching lining fabric nor zip to be found, so instead I went wild and bought a contrasting maroon lining and zip, and also for the cotton to make my HongKong seaming tape and hemming tape. You can see I went happily all out on the HongKong seaming there... this silk hessian is one of my favourite fabrics but frays like a madman... so raw edges are a big no no. I covered a button with some of the fabric, and also made a bound buttonhole, but took absolutely no close-ups of this. For a reason... After viewing Sherry's superb bound buttonholes I've decided mine is nought but a travesty of a bound buttonhole. I salvage my pride by saying humbly yet again that this fabric frays like a monster... I did my best but it is sadly far far from a perfect thing.
Skirt; my own adaptions of Vogue 8363, burnt orange silk hessian, my review of this pattern here
Top; the bodice part only of Burdastyle magazine 08/2009, dress 128, charcoal wool mix, details here
Scarf; my own design, details and my pattern here
Shoes; Django and Juliette, from Zomp shoes