Monday, September 12, 2011

Burnt orange skirt

I've seen a couple of other little orange skirts just like this recently, namely Gail's and Yoshimi's, so you will have to take my word for it that I bought this fabric a couple of months ago and have had this skirt at the nearly finished stage for a few weeks!  So, I claim immunity from copy-itis, but instead invite you to marvel for a minute at the like-mindedness of great minds...
Now actually there is an element of copy-itis going on.  I saw a skirt in the window of Cue with an interesting waistband, pleat and pocket feature.  I am always on the lookout for interesting ways to incorporate pockets into straight skirts, a silhouette that I think suits me but is often difficult to put a pocket in successfully.  I thought the Cue team had done a marvellous job.  All Aussies will know how Cue along with its sister store Veronika Maine are veritable goldmines for interesting little features a seamstress can think about incorporating into her garments.  I just love browsing these stores, and if I wasn't making my own clothes I would be wearing their designs.  Along with my all-time favourite Metalicus, of course...  Anyhoo, I digress; so, I went home inspired, then it was a week or so before the next visit to the fabric store, then it was another week or so before I got around to constructing my skirt.  So I was doing it from memory and it turns out mine is quite different from the Cue one, which on my next pass by the store window I noticed had two pleats, both situated between the front middle panel and the pocket.  Mine ended up having but one pleat, situated underneath the front middle panel.  Oh, OK OK, a fairly miniature difference that only a nit-picking detail-maniac like me would notice...  but, doesn't matter the design still works for me...
I adapted one of the Vogue 8363 variations, modifying by redrafting the front waistband piece to have a lower curve (I wanted this shape as opposed to a flat straight waistband) and drafted a middle front panel and re-drafted the skirt front piece accordingly to accommodate these two changes.  The two front darts of the pattern were partly integrated into the middle front panel, and partly transformed into the small pleat.  The beauty of this pleat is that it enables some "hand-room" for when one is using the slanted front pockets.  Voila!  I'm extremely pleased with how it turned out.  I can shove my hands down deep into the pockets and the discreet little pleat enables one to do this comfortably, while still maintaining a nice little straight skirt silhouette.
The only thing about the design I'm not completely happy with is the middle front panel.  On the Cue skirt it looked really good, on mine I think it looks less so, and wish I had kept it as part of the front skirt piece.  I think it is do do with my fabric choice, the flatness of the fabric means the less seaming, the better it looks.  The Cue skirt was made of a quite textured fabric with a very busy multicoloured weave, which looked very good with the separate panel pieces... if I do this again I will try to remember this...
When I bought the burnt orange, there was no matching lining fabric nor zip to be found, so instead I went wild and bought a contrasting maroon lining and zip, and also for the cotton to make my HongKong seaming tape and hemming tape.  You can see I went happily all out on the HongKong seaming there...  this silk hessian is one of my favourite fabrics but frays like a madman...  so raw edges are a big no no.  I covered a button with some of the fabric, and also made a bound buttonhole, but took absolutely no close-ups of this.  For a reason...  After viewing Sherry's superb bound buttonholes I've decided mine is nought but a travesty of a bound buttonhole.  I salvage my pride by saying humbly yet again that this fabric frays like a monster... I did my best but it is sadly far far from a perfect thing.


Details:
Skirt; my own adaptions of Vogue 8363, burnt orange silk hessian, my review of this pattern here
Top; the bodice part only of Burdastyle magazine 08/2009, dress 128, charcoal wool mix, details here
Scarf; my own design, details and my pattern here
Tights; Kolotex
Shoes; Django and Juliette, from Zomp shoes

24 comments:

  1. I love your orange skirt. I am all over pleated skirts this year, so much so I have just completed my own that had it's inaugural outing on Saturday night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the color of the skirt and pocket details!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This skirt does have a very flattering shape on you. I love the fabric's texture and color. Nice job with those pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The skirt looks fantastic! Love the seams finished with a contrasting color.
    I've been eyeing a similar skirt these days, now I'll have to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love orange! The maroon on the inside looks really sharp too! The shape shows off your tiny waist. A great skirt, really.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a completely super cool skirt, I think I love everything about it - the colour, the shape, the pleat and pocket details, the fabric, the maroon inside....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic skirt, and what a thin waist!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic skirt. I love the color, the fit is perfect and the inside finishing looks so clean and nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous and love it styled with grey. I have more burnt orange in the stash. My piece is a silk line blend that looks a lot like your skirt fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That skirt is beautiful! I love the contrasting seams.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous skirt, the color is fabulos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I daresay you've done it again. Another fabulous skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning skirt. Great color and well executed. Thanks for sharing the details. I so like to see the inside of things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All the wonderful details of this skirt make it look very special! It looks fantastic on you and I really love that beautiful colour.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great skirt! I love those details you've incorporated. Yes, it's true - Cue and Veronika Maine are very good for sewing ideas... wonder if that's why they don't put too many details online? No, probably their competitors enjoy their ideas too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love this color. You don't see it a lot or I don't seem to. I do have a sweater this color. Anywho :O) it fits very nice on you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great color on you, and I absolutely love the contrasting binding and lining! :) Cute pocket/pleat detail, too. I love roomy pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  18. really lovely, I enjoyed the story of how the details came to be. And the "oops" when realizing you'd remembered it a little bit wrong. It is quite lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You always make such lovely clothes .The colour of this skirt is BEAUTIFUL.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this skirt and the color is great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. the skirt is as beautiful inside as it is on the outside. Interesting fit.

    ReplyDelete
  22. lovely shade and your fit is a pleasure to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this colour, and the shape of the skirt is so pretty on you.
    The inside of your skirt is very pleasing, beautiful finishing and fun colours. It looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVE this pattern. I don't know if it's just because you have a killer body or what but the skirt fits so well and is so flattering! I'm definitely saving this pattern to use for later.

    ReplyDelete