Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Seafoam linen shirt, with smile-y faces

A new linen shirt for Craig...
Burda 7767, again.  I didn't even fold up or put away the pattern after making my "army" shirt, just laid out the fabric and cut out this one straight away... efficient, or what?!  My middle name, hehe...
Do you like the smile-y face pocket flaps?  Yes, this was sorta planned...  I don't think Craig has cottoned on that he is sporting two smile-y faces on his chest yet, he might refuse to wear the shirt if he thinks something is too fashion-y about it...  But I like little "touches" and this one amuses me.
The lower edges of the pockets have a corresponding curve like the flaps, and the cuff edges are curved to match, and also have double buttonholes and buttons.  Those, and the fact that the lower hem has been extended and curved, are the only variations to the pattern here.
I felt a little guilty about this whole project, because the linen was part of the small stash comprising four lengths of linen that we bought with the very intent of me making shirts out of it for Craig about two years ago... and I did use three of these lengths just for that purpose.  But this rather divinely shaded seafoam-green length sat there and sat there and I couldn't bring myself to get going on the promised shirt.  It looked so desirable and so right for ... well, for me.  I was deviously planning and re-planning about a zillion things NOT of the menswear variety, that I could make using this linen; things would fit very nicely into my wardrobe thank you very much, and I even commenced a bit of a campaign about how this colour was actually a bit feminine, wasn't it, hmmm? and how Craig now had looooads of linen shirts to choose from and might prefer something else, and how the linen would be reeeeeally much better suited to something else, like say... something for me.  And my sweet husband is so good natured he unselfishly gave up his linen shirt rights just to make me happy...  And I did feel happy for about one minute.  Then I felt mean.  So I set to and made him the promised shirt.  And now I don't feel mean.  And d'ya know the good news, there is actually a largish chunk of leftovers, maybe enough for something to fit me after all.  And I have a clear conscience.
Maybe there is a moral there, something about good feelings and peace of mind.  Attainable to those who don't wilfully and selfishly steal their loved ones fabric.  Yah, something real deep and meaningful and navel-gazing like that.  But I'm not sure the goodwill will extend to me not appropriating the shirt every once in a while.  After all, look how well it goes with my first self-pedicure of the season?  I think this shirt deserves to be worn with my nail polish, don't you?


Details:
Shirt; Burda 7767 with minor modifications, seafoam-green linen

16 comments:

  1. Love the color and I always enjoy your little design changes that make each shirt special, even if it's from the same pattern. My mom does that same for my dad's favorite button up shirt pattern too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a gorgeous shade of blue! You call it seafoam. Is it maybe a tad greenish? Not on my monitor. What a gorgeous shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great color. You always make such beautiful shirts. Is there a book you use for instructions to make the sleeve plackets? I just made a shirt like this for school and my plackets weren't great. I used instructions from the Connie Crawford sewing book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks perfect! He's of course so lucky! And I love the inbuilt smile and your nail polish too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seafoam is my favourite colour in the whole world. Hahaha no way would I have given that up for anyone! You are very selfless indeed. Perhaps you could wear the shirt yourself with a belt and a pair of jeans???

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks good on him, but I would've been tempted to steal the fabric for myself too :) The smiley faces are a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another great shirt. You have a production line going here!

    I love the colour of the shirt and nail polish. I have to add I do like your dog too! What's he/she called? Thanks for your comment you left - I am going to do some photos in September, but I am trying to calm down from doing a daily rushed photo. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your husband is a lucky man, although I do think it is unfortunate that he has custom made shirt rights. I hope my husband has no illusions about my shirt making for him, it is definitely a gift/favour/privelege! In fact, my husband would never get a shirt if his fabric looked at all nice on me. I would definitely steal it. I must be very mean. I'm glad you have some fabric left for yourself - and that you can borrow that very smart shirt you made already ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That shirt looks GREAT! You are a very passionate sewist!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great shirt! I so think you should borrow it now and again. After all they love us to wear their shirts ya know. Yes they do :O).

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are such a great person, I'm sure you cared way more about the fabric than him but did the right thing anyway! But why yes I do believe some sharing is in his future :-) And I really thought at first the 2 smiling faces were going to be him and your sweet pooch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Belo trabalho! (Nice work!)
    Help me: in portuguese we call both fingers and toes of "dedos" we use to say "dedos das mãos" (hands) or "dedos dos pés" (feet). And the nails? There are a difference from nails (unhas) from hands and feet?
    Kisses (beijos).
    Míriam.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, yes! I also thought that he was smiling faces and cute dog, but then I noticed the pockets .... love everything in this shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks! Now I can say that your green toenails (you see, I'm a good student) are very surprising and fun! Here in Brasil women are using all the colors and most of them make flowers and a lot of other things in theirs nails. I prefer solid colors but some works are really amazing and beautiful.
    Smiley pockets... so kind.
    Beijinhos (litle kisses).

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've excelled here. Love the detailing on your menswear - casual but very stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is nice post on linen shirts and i found some interesting information on this blog. Keep it up

    ReplyDelete