Monday, August 29, 2011

A new arrival...

...an addition to the "family"


soooo cute, no?!
I just couldn't resist, when my mother told me these were on sale in Spotlight, and she reminisced about how a lot of ladies used to have these miniature sewing machines back when I was growing up, and how useful they were for taking along to sewing bees and for hemming hanging curtains, and for real diehards who dream of doing a spot of sewing when going on holiday, or in a caravan ... no?  Is that just me, then?
I just love the idea of having such a portable machine; so handy...
The tape measure has been positioned there in front of it so you can see just how tiny it is.  It is soooo light; weighing in at 2.15 kg, that's 4.6lb for those who haven't caught up yet, hehe ;D 
It's called the Mini Opal, and it doesn't have many stitches available.  It only does straight stitch and zig-zag stitch.  But realistically how often do you use any other?  Just the buttonhole stitches are missing from my usual requirements, so might just have to brush up on hand-worked buttonholes...  I've given it a trial run and am happy to say it works very well for such a low tech little machine.
The bit of fabric stationed in front shows the full repertoire of stitches it offers; straight stitch in 4 different stitch lengths, a straight stitch positioned to the left of the presser foot, and zig-zag stitch in 3 different widths.  Oh, and it reverses too...
So I don't have to just dream about sewing when I go down to the beach-house, but I will station this little thing permanently down there, and then if I want to then I can.
For less than 100 buckeroonies, I'm happy!
(oh, btw, just in case anyone is wondering; I bought it myself and no I am not being endorsed in any way for writing this.  But happily it was on special!)

16 comments:

  1. Sorry Carolyn but 2.1 kg is about 4.6 pounds! Not just over one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we stay in an apartment at the beach for a holiday I take my sewing machine. I thought this was normal behaviour ;). You will have to let us know how this one performs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a tiny beauty! It's good to have a backup machine! - Or am I just trying to explain why it looks so irresistible to me?:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. bevaau; thank you! I've put in the correct conversion now. You can probably tell I don't have to work with those old measurements very often ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly, my full size machine doesn't have anymore stitches than this one-- except it does do buttonholes. I'm looking to upgrade soon. It is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats on your new addition! we just can't enough sewing gizmos! can we?!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your new addition! It is so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's good to give gifts to ourselves! We know our needs and wants better than anybody else.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooh, I have one of these! I bought it when my big machine broke earlier this year. and i was totally happy with it :) I sewed through LOTS of layers (8 maybe) with it - very slowly - and it was happy with it. hope you're as happy with it as I am with mine (although mine was full price :( )

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a little Brother machine that my mom bought me one summer when I was away from my regular machine for several months, but it's a very cheap machine and doesn't run nearly as smoothly so I don't use it much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now how cute is that! That will certainly make taking a sewing project easy. Your machine will be there :O)all ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm an Elna girl, and this looks like I need it for my winter traveling. No buttonholes? No problem-snaps are in right now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh! She's a cute little thing! I can totally see why you adopted her. I just bought myself a "portable" simple 'vintage' sewing machine (straight stitch and zig zag only) from a thrift store. It was half price and mint green and I could not resist! I bought her for the sole purpose of taking her on holidays with me. The only set back is despite her diminutive size, she weighs, I estimate, 20.5 kg (45 lbs) or more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, fun .... That is tiny! I lug my regular machine (not really that big, nor expensive, I paid just over $100 for mine but maybe our dollars are different than yours) when I go to craft night at our church and want to sew. But it is a bit of a pain. Esp. when I have to take the ironing board too. I can see a small one having its virtues.

    BTW I really really like the dress you posted last. Especially with the yellow underneath! I bet you'll have some fun ways to wear it during SSS.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats, it's really cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How cute is that machine! I take mine along when we go to the beach house. I thought that's what everyone did, but getting a small machine to leave there is a great idea. I hope it lives up to your expectations :)

    ReplyDelete