Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Flares in Black

I have made myself a new pair of jeans!
They are of black, stretchy corduroy with black cotton for the pocket lining and the waistband lining, and are very near perfect; if I say so myself ;)  It seems my lifetime is spent on the quest for the perfect pair of jeans, the design details of which change with passing fashions and fads that temporarily sway my choices.  My current passion is for flares, and I think I have managed to nail them here.  I'm super happy with my plum flares, both in terms of fit and comfort... and only had the teensiest tiniest twinge of regret that I didn't flare the ankles out just that tad further, to make a really truly flared pair of jeans.  Not enough regret for me to be in any way disappointed with those jeans, but just a little factoid I stored away for a future pair ... like a note to self; flare out just that leeetle bit more next time.  So I did, and here they are!
This time, I graduated the lower leg section; from a fitted-to-the-pattern knee and then out to the ankle by about 6-7cm on each side seam overall.  I did my usual centre back pinch-in for a sway back adjustment (illustrated here).  The only other alteration to the pattern was to add a zip placket; an absolute essential feature in any pair of jeans which is inexplicably absent from this pattern.
With great difficulty!, I took a picture of my own behind to show the pocket details... which is the same but mirror image on each pocket, natch.    This time I went with two varying width zigzag lines crossing each other, and two concentric part-circles.  The outer of these was drawn using a jar-lid, the inner is just carefully sewn in a sewing-foot width away.  Easy peasy. 
And it seems fitting that I should welcome a newbie pair of jeans into the fold, just as I am bidding adieu to two old pairs *; welcome, new flares in black, and may you prove as useful and wonderful as my old pair of black straight-legs.


Details:
Jeans; Burda 7863 with minor modifications, black stretch corduroy
Top; Ezibuy
Cardigan; Country Road
Gloves; from David Jones **
Black scarf; handknit by me, details here
Khaki scarf;  made by me from an old Tshirt, details here
Shoes; Francesco Morichetti, from Zomp shoes


* I have said goodbye to these (I agonised at unnecessary length about the deterioration of these last month...and have finally, sadly, laid them in the Salvoes basket...) and these straight-legs, in which the zip has gone.


**The gloves... It was flipping freezing this morning; 3C!  Although we had hit our high of 16C when I took these photos I left my gloves on because I thought they added a certain something to my outfit, a sorta chic that was lacking without them...  And I was pretty stunned to see a guy in shorts and a singlet sunning himself on the beach during our walk today!  Decided he must have been a British tourist...  ;)  
It's OK, I'm allowed to joke about the British since I have British blood in me too!   :)

29 comments:

  1. Fantastic fit and super classy. These should serve you well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an affinity with flared jeans and love yours. They fit well and will be so versatile. Great job with the pocket detail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great fit and impeccable details! Wishing you to wear them proudly many times!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great and fit you really well! I like the little circle design on the pockets!

    *lol* Sunning yourself at 16°C does sound a bit extreme, although I remember we had a wind-surfing holiday in Italy at the beginning of November when I was about 14, when we tried to catch some sun after being immersed in really cold water (in a wet suit but still) at similar degrees...

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS: The weather is a bit crazy here right now with the daily high being anything between 16 and 28°C during the last week... but at least the temperatures are looking up, and I'm not too upset that for once we don't have two weeks of glorious sunshine and beach weather right before exam time... ;)

    Cool, I remember seeing some fingerless gloves or yours that I really liked and that I thought of when you said sock wool. If I manage to cram some knitting in my busy schedule... well, ever... something like those or your cute lacy socks would be on my to-knit list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your flares look awesome! Great lines and nice details. Where does the waist sit?

    My husband (English) would definitely sport around in shorts and a tshirt in 16 degree weather. He even swims in the sea here in Britain! The ocean/sea is always cold. Bone aching, shock your body cold. I am having none of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you ladies! Karin, the waist sits at exactly the same height as my purple jeans, (the link is in this post if you wish to see just where it sits). Which is at just about natural waist height. I have used the same pattern for all of my jeans so far...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! These are incredible jeans. i absolutely love the flare, just the right amount. They look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look as fantastic as ever! I could never begin to imagine making jeans.
    According to the BBC it is 17C today in the west of England...so our summer weather is the same as your mid winter!We English have to grab that sun when we get the chance otherwise it might be ages until we see it again!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pair of jeans with an excellent fit.

    Here in Canada, when it hits 16 in the spring after a winter of -40, we are all out in shorts!
    Everything is relative. Right now it is +30.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The fit and and flare are PERFECT! This is one of the patterns I ran out to buy after seeing your purple ones. I'm still trying to find some decent corduroy and as soon as I do I'm attempting a pair for myself. Thank you so much for always sharing your mods and techniques. It makes me that much more confident to try to tackle pants! And the pics are great too, it's soooo not easy to take decent pics of oneself from behind.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely jeans. I like your attention to detail and top stitching! That does sound like a Brit you saw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I coveted your plum jeans and now I covet your black cords. Divine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those great bottoms make your bottom look great! :)

    Good for you for "letting go". I agonize about getting rid of my me-mades, too, but you deserve to look fabulous! And if the pants were no longer doing it, you're making room for NEW pants. The universe finds a way!

    Also, your sweet poofy kitty and snuggly socks are fantastic! If I could stop accidentally shoving the wee DPNS underneath my fingernails, I'd finish a pair! It's very relaxing and quick...as long as you don't make yourself bleed. (I'd never be a good spy. Just grab the DPNs and I'd spill my guts. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic jeans! At 16C Russ is wearing shorts and a vest top and moaning about the heat...but then he does that for most of the winter anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Carolyn, sewing flares is NOT on my list of things to sew right now and you are not making it easy for me. I want to stop everything I'm doing and start working on a pair of flared jeans right this minute. Can you stop posting things like this please? I have a couch to finish :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm with liza jane above...stop posting about your groovy new cords and sew boring stuff. Thanks so much. :-p

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, they look insanely good! I'm really into flares at the moment, but I am too lazy to sew them myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fabulous fit !!! I LOVE these :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your jeans - they look fabulous.

    Thanks for the instructions for where to add the width - I was growing frustrated with the flared pants in the Burda magazines because there is too much width in the thighs. I am going to try this one day when pants are back on my sewing list.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like skinny jeans for the winter because you can tuck them into boots. There is nothing worse than walking across a wet lawn and having the water wick up to your knees. I hate that wet flare feeling! I do however like flares in the spring with a pair of strapless sandals. Love your pocket detail!

    I agree with you 3deg is pretty cold. Even in NZ that is cold. No frost in Christchurch this morning just over cast and 6deg with a high of 16deg. Could be a day for a walk in the park if the sun comes out and the cold wind stays away. Won't be sunning myself or even removing my jumper for that matter even at 16deg!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You certainly have nailed jean making. Looks like the chill has finally hit Perth.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the flare (naturally) and I love them in corduroy (also not surprising)! They're just as great as the plum pair, but maybe more versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful, wonderful jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  25. beautiful spot for these photos--you have perfected the flare! And I like your pocket signatures too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, that is pretty cold - I would have been agog at someone sunning themselves in such weather. It looks beautiful and crisp though, the kind of day you want to take a long walk (or run), if properly dressed. I'm wondering where is your coat?!!

    I do like this new pair of jeans. They make your legs look a mile long (though I do think you mentioned once that you are pretty tall as it is ... )

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great jeans! I'm still in awe of anyone who manages to make jeans that look RTW or even better. I bow to your greatness :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I agree with your statements.And you can have a good see in true religion jeans.welcome to true religion jeans outlet!

    ReplyDelete
  29. True religion jeans is my favourite.So I want to share true religion uk with you!Looking forward to your visiting.

    ReplyDelete