Monday, October 25, 2010

Crisp white shirt; check

A while ago I identified a hole in my wardrobe; supposedly a basic that no woman should be without, and have now dutifully filled it.  One crisp white shirt; check.  Now my husband can relax that his white linen shirt will be safe from my clutches.  Well, mostly safe, hehehe (cue evil witch cackle).
I used Burda 8497; a wrap front and tie-at-the-side-of-the-hip style that is flattering to a person of my proportions, I think.  And a very feminine style.  Rather than a button up, which is a little more masculine.  The fabric is a poly-cotton, easy wear but not luxe, so I left the edges all nice and snowy-pristine with no topstitching and I think this ups the stylishness factor a touch.  This pattern just allows for ordinary fold down hems on the sleeves, which can be a little boring and middle of the road; so for this shirt I drafted sharply pointed fold-back cuffs which are each permanently sewn closed with two pewter buttons masquerading as cufflinks.  This gives the cuffs a vaguely evening-y or business-like air to them, yes?  And adds a bit of interest to what is otherwise a quite featureless sleeve.
And for my morning tea with some friends this morning I jazzed it up with a screamingly colourful in-your-face gypsy-ish skirt of many layers.
Aaah, the weather is so divine at present.  Walking along the beach yesterday and this morning was a sheer joy.  Everybody is making the most of these days to the max, whilst simultaneously trying not to whinge about the lack of rain ...


Details:
Shirt; Burda 8497, white poly-cotton, pewter button "cufflinks"
Skirt; Vogue 7880, printed cotton
Sandals;  lasoffitadi Gilde, from Zomp shoes

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful shirt. Love the cuffs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn, your blouse turned out gorgeous, especially with how you upped the style curve with those clever cuffs. I have this pattern and have been planning to make it up. Do you mind telling me, 1) Did it run true to size? 2) Do you find that the front gapes open when you bend forward? These two questions have been holding me back. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Carolyn, I loved the clean lines of the shirt is versatile, elegant, pure.
    Goodwill can never do so it fits so perfectly.

    Hug

    Eilane - Brazil

    (Sorry some error in erscrita, use a google translator.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. BEAUTIFUL! and I'm so jealous seeing you frolicing on the beach as I'm now covered from head to toe in fleece (BLECH!) LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very, very cute look. Love the smooth curve of the shirt front.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blouse is very flattering, and I love those cuffs.

    Love the color of your socks in the previous post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty white shirt-the cuffs are wonderful, and the wrap is such a nice "take" on the plain white shirt. Great beach photo-we had our first snow last night!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I'm new to your blog. I really like the new shirt, very pretty. I haven't sewed for a very long time, but am looking to do some refashioning of some things I currently have. I really love the layered skirts and the fun architectural skirts you've made. Your blog is inspiring me to make some new clothes for myself. Do you have any advice to help get a custom fit? Especially in tops...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks wonderful! I love the cuffs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooh, I like the crisp white shirt! I love the wrap front - they ought to use yours on the pattern envelope - their picture wouldn't want me to make the shirt, but yours does. I like that it looks so nice untucked. And what wonderful colors in your skirt - it must make it feel like summer!

    Oh, I'm deleting those two comments (never published them) - thanks. :) Virtual tea-time is much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That blouse looks amazing!! The details you added really make it special!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the wrap blouse. I also don't own a crisp white shirt - somehow this basic wardrobe item does not suit me. But a wrap style - that is food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh, that wrap-style is very flattering and a great idea! Those cuffs look very nice, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous! I love the tie and the the curved bottom edges.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's gorgeous, Carolyn. I love that you kept the finishing so clean, it makes it even more elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your blouse looks amazing on you! I love the cuff idea. I think it looks so elegant and pretty.
    I have wanted to make a shirt where I can wear cuff links. Now that will definitely be a detail in one of my shirt projects :)
    Love your skirt too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Carolyn, I loved the clean lines of the shirt is versatile, elegant, pure. Goodwill can never do so it fits so perfectly. Hug Eilane - Brazil (Sorry some error in erscrita, use a google translator.)

    ReplyDelete