Thursday, August 5, 2010

Rocking the double denim look

So here is my new dress, Vogue 1152, with more me-appropriate sleeves (for the "before sleeves", see the post below).  I'm very happy with this now, will be perfect for a casual day-dress suited to the simple warm days not now very far off on the horizon...? (said hopefully)  Today being still just a little cool I've opted to try out at styling the latest double denim trend, and wear the new dress with my old jeans underneath... tres cool, no?
So the key to making the new double denim trend work is to definitely not have the same denim head to toe, take a look at the pictures just below...  no no, no and er, no.  Too avoid this very dated "denim suit" effect the modern interpretation is to mix it up in terms of colours/shades and texture.  So on the bottom half I am wearing my trusty ol' denim jeans which have the two tone stone-washed look we knew and loved er... only a few years ago, and on the top half the lightweight chambray dress in a much paler shade of indigo.  And I'm thinking this isn't tooooo bad!  But if the double denim thing still offends you;  relax, I will definitely be wearing this sans jeans before too long...!
Below is my review of this pattern.


Details:
Dress; Vogue 1152 with minor variations, cotton chambray
Jeans; Little Big, from Labels





Pattern Description

Loose-fitting dress has front and back princess seams, front and back gathers, front insets with contrast piping, back elastic casings, self-faced yoke, left side invisible zipper, short sleeves with pleated cap and gathered lower edge into self band and curved hem.  Length is 2" above knee at centre front.
Pattern sizing
8-14.  I cut size 10
Did it look like the drawing/illustration on the pattern envelope once you had finished sewing it?
Essentially.  I altered the sleeves and fiddled about with the fit somewhat.  Also I have a suspicion the dress in the photo on the pattern envelope has a big bulldog clip at the back to make it nip in at the model's waist like that... either that or the dress has been fitted to her shape like I did with mine.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
yes
What did you particularly like/dislike about this pattern?
I liked the look of it from the envelope photograph; the V-neck, the prettiness and the shirt-dress vibe it has without being a shirt-dress
After finishing I decided the puffy sleeves didn't suit me, and ended up changing them.
The dress ended up being (for my taste, too) loose-fitting; just as described, and close to how it is illustrated in the line drawing on the back of the envelope but not in line with how the dress appears in the photo.  And the back elastic casings are situated too high I think.  I had to alter it to look less "maternity"
Fabric used:
Cotton chambray
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
Shaped the bodice sections to bring it in more at the waistline and also to take away some excess fabric in the bust-point.
Added another single casing with elastic on the back, additional to and underneath the double one stipulated in the pattern; also to help define the waistline better.
Eliminated about 1" in sleeve width, and the lower gathering and sleeve bands completely.  I simply narrow hemmed the ungathered lower sleeve edge instead.
Would you sew it again?  Would you recommend it to others?
Yes I will sew this again.  I am planning to make this out of a light chiffon-y stuff for a fancy springtime lunch dress, but am going to implement even more design alterations than I did with this one.  I would recommend this pattern; as long as you are aware the dress is looser fitting than it appears in the photo.
Conclusion:
It might sound like a tale of woe, but I am very happy with this dress now.  I definitely prefer my version of the sleeves, although if the dress were out of a lighter weight fabric the sleeves may flop down like in the envelope photo and look better than they did in my cotton chambray version.

12 comments:

  1. This is a very lovely dress and I like your dress-over-jeans-combination very much. It's one of my favorite go-together.
    So far I have been a silent reader of your blog but now I thought I just have to finally send you a compliment for your great work from the other side of the planet.
    Greetings from Switzerland, Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. And from the other side Minnesota USA. Love the back detail also. Cool top and I'm always looking for combos with jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, I'm thinking as a dress and with a very very dark blue wash or black denim jacket? (tights and boots if you wanted) or in the summer with a cropped white one? I wonder ... I haven't tried double denim myself yet ... It looks like it will be very versatile for at least three seasons....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute. I love your version with the sleeves reworked.

    Trudy
    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think President Reagan was totally rockin' the denim look
    :-)
    I really like this dress in you and left you a comment on PR.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like the new sleeves much better! Really cute Dress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this dress, I think it would look great sans jeans and with a pair of wedges! Your throwback denim on denim pics made me LOL.

    xoxo, Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aaaah, yet again you've made up a member of my stash before I've had a crack. Fantastic! I love that I can check out your experience before my own. Also, I must add that you have EXCELLENT taste in patterns ;-)

    ReplyDelete