Saturday, August 21, 2010

Pink lace dress

I've made a new dress for spring, but I've persuaded Bessie to model it for today... because I've started to think about Self-Stitched September coming up where I'll be documenting my handmade daily outfits everyday (hope that's not going to be too boring) and no doubt I'll be wearing it one of those days and will take a snap of myself then.  I've decided to challenge myself to wear totally handmade, save for tights and shoes... and to never double-up.  It will be a challenge, so I'll see how I go.  May have to pop on a store-bought top or T-shirt getting to the end of it, but I'll try not to...
I bought this pink lace back in the Fabulous Fabrics sale last December and finally got around to sewing the dress I first envisioned back then... the first hurdle was of course that the fabric is completely see through, so a slip was an obvious mandatory requirement.  For some strange mental reason, I determined to finish this slip to moderately high standards, yes, even though it's a slip.  I get these funny urges sometimes, maybe it's because of reading other peoples' blogs about applying immaculate finishes that is spurring me on...  I'm not always this patient because sometimes you just want to get the thing done, no?
Anyhoo, the slip has French seams on the side seams, and Hong Kong binding on the centre back seam, where the invisible zip is inserted.  The lower hem and the bodice facing is all invisibly stitched by hand (OK I do do this to all my dresses), although I'm not 100% happy with how the hem looks and may do a different finish on this (any ideas?)... the silk satin won't be pressed into a traditional double fold hem as flat as I would like.  The ribbon straps have lingerie findings incorporated to enable the straps to be adjustable.  The pattern I used for the slip is Burda 8071, and for the dress itself I drafted a heavily modified version of Simplicity 3745.  Heavily modified in that all the gathering and pleating and the zip has been removed from the dress in order to streamline the silhouette and to use less fabric.  The lace is a stretch so can just be pulled over my head.

13 comments:

  1. Wow, that is just gorgeous. Bessie looks pretty stunning too. ;)
    You could've worn that dress to vote today!

    www.modelmumma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn, that dress is gorgeous. I can't wait to see it on you in september, I'll sure be looking out for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well here is your third "gorgeous"! That is the first word that pops into my brain when I see this dress. I love it and the shade of pink. I agree with Karin van D., I'll be looking for this in one of your September posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Carolyn this is beautiful!! I want to come and borrow it. :) Alas, you are on the other side of the world. Wow. I can't wait to see it in action. Surely you could make an exception and wear this more than once during September? Sooooo pretty. I love lace.

    No, I didn't know cygnet was the word for the babies. I was actually going to call them geese, but then looked at what you had called them ... and thought maybe that was a different aussie type of bird. he he. My excuse is that I taught math! Surely if you had been discussing techniques of integration I wouldn't have made such a mistake, lol. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dress is gorgeous! I love the lace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so pretty and feminine! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, wow! This is so pretty and feminine. You have really outdone yourself this time.

    Trudy
    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing! I love lacy things and this is hitting the right note with me. It's just so girly and feminine and slightly come-hither, you know?

    I must make more lacy stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so beautiful! Very different from the pattern envelopes! It's great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this dress! It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do so want a lace dress. I want white lack over my black slip.

    ReplyDelete