Sunday, June 6, 2010

Ambrosial hoodie

Today I am wearing my newest cardigan, knitted last September.  As is my usual bad habit I didn't use a pattern but just made it up as I went along.  This one has two different sized knitted-in pockets on the front, and a hoodie at the back.  I went ahead with the hoodie because when the cardigan was completed I had so much leftover wool I thought why not?  And I like hoodies.  I feel more "with it" with my hoodie on.  Even if it is of the hand-knitted variety; not exactly upping ma street cred here, but meh.  Yo ready for dis!
The colour of this yarn is Ambrosia.  Don't you just love that word?  I so prefer yarns to have named colour palettes, rather than a number.  The right name can set off my imagination; evoking a rich daydream of imagery to spark off enthusiasm for my project.  The name Ambrosia is perfect for this acidic blend of apple cider, lime and honeydew colours with small blobs of butter-yellow thrown in the mix.  This sort of a word can really get the creative juices flowing.  Far more so than picking up a yarn and noting the name of this colour is a technical and clinical "S102"... which may in itself be a particularly vibrant and gorgeous blend of colours worthy of some far more imaginative moniker.  Yes, Noro, I'm looking at you...! although they are not the only offenders by any means...  How about ditching the numbers and dreaming up something a bit more evocative for these woolly feasts for the eyes?
Has anyone else thought the same thought? or am I the only one pining for a bit of poetry in the wool aisle?
And on that note, below; a portrait of my parent's neighbour's lawn-mower...enjoy!


Details:
Cardigan; my own design, knitted from Jo Sharp Silk Road DK Tweed in Ambrosia
Top; Metalicus
Jeans; Little Big
Boots; Andrea and Joen, from Uggy's in Dunsborough

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you're dressed perfectly for hiking. I love to hike. Love your hoodie. I love the word ambrosia, too. I prefer that the colors have names instead of numbers as well. Numbers are so cold and sterile and add nothing to the imagination. That's a great law mower. I need one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm amazed at "make it up as you go along" if I did that it would be a disaster. I work out my own patterns on paper and then go from there, very meticulous. and boring probably, but totally in keeping with my analytical mind.

    I love the scenery you've been posting. I thought with the bottom photo, Oh, what a great place to run hills! he he.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful, looks very pretty on you too. And it makes me really want to know how to knit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that color! Green has become one of my new staples in my closet. Green is so versatile for the seasons.

    ReplyDelete