Thursday, May 6, 2010

Knotty blue scarf

It's been an embarrassingly long while since I did a re-fashion.  My big bag of toss-out garments is still sitting there, taunting me.  And this re-fashion is so ... trite, it's barely worth the label "re-fashion".  Still, in my defence, there was not a lot of fabric to play with in this one, meaning, not a lot of re-fashion options.  But I like scarves.  And, bonus, I'm making a start on incorporating some air force blue into my wardrobe for winter.  Win!
So, starting with an old tank-top of my husband's.  This is actually the top half of a pair of summer jammies, from a men's sleepwear range brought out by Ian Thorpe the Aussie Olympic swimmer, that I'm chopping up here.  Sorry, Thorpie...


I simply cut off the top part of the tank-top at underarm level, and the bottom seam, for a raw edge.  The side seams were cut out also to get the raw edge, and the front and back remaining rectangles cut into three roughly equal width pieces.  (OK, very roughly...)
  
These were overlocked together, right sides facing.  When overlocking I also cut out the remains of that logo....  I didn't use matching overlocker thread, but it doesn't matter as these seams are to be hidden by knots.  


Where I'm knotting the sides are folded in slightly, just to hide the seam stitching, and simple knots positioned to hide the seams.


Et voila, a new air force blue scarf...


Details:
Skirt; Vogue 7303 lined, winter white wool crepe
Top; Metalicus
Cardi; Metalicus
Boots; Enrico Antinori
Scarf; refashioned from old tank-top
Bag; Gucci

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I am gonna have to give it a try with some of the tanks I have in a refashion pile. I am really into scarves lately and this would be a great addition to my wardrobe! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your scarf, and your skirt x

    ReplyDelete