Sunday, April 11, 2010

AT (After Trek) update

I’m back from our “holiday”!  I’ve just looked at my last post BT (before trek) and noticed that I wrote we were trekking 120km.    120km?  How disgracefully inaccurate.  The correct and official distance of the Cape to Cape is 134.5km.  That extra 14.5km is not to be dismissed lightly.  Particularly not if it counts as some of the very long, very soft sandy beaches and very steep sandy dunes we scaled.  Or the very rocky stretches of coast, which have one leaping gazelle-like (ha ha!) from boulder to boulder.  Or the very steep hills leading to the tops of, like, every potential lookout, heaven forbid we should miss out on even one scenic outlook, no, no skirting about bases of hills for this trek, each and every elevation simply must be scaled, yessirree.  All of this with 16kg backpacks on our backs.  Yeah.
I do love camping.  I planned our meals down to the nth degree and I’m happy to say we walked into Dunsborough having just consumed our last morsel, pretty much.  (Dunsborough?  Oh yeah, we did the trek back-to-front, starting at Augusta and finishing at Dunsborough!  Not that that makes any difference…)
If I’m honest there were times we questioned our sanity in doing this trek, but it’s also true that we now feel on top of the world that we have done it.  I feel fitter and stronger than I have in a long time.  It was the biggest physical challenge I’ve faced in my life, but we are both so proud of ourselves and so happy that we met the challenge and were equal to it.
On top of that we were privileged to walk through some of the most beautiful scenery imaginable.  Pristine white beaches, piles of huge rust-red boulders scattered together like an abandoned giant-child’s marble game, tall forests of fresh, green coolness, fields of blackened tree trunks adorned with new green foliage after a bushfire…  And 99.9% of the time we had it all to ourselves with not another soul in sight.  Each day we came across no more than a handful of people, tops.  Not counting the three towns of Prevelly, Gracetown and Yallingup that is, and even they were very quiet considering it was the school holidays.  We wondered where everyone was, whether people now all go to Bali for their holidays…
Anyhoo, I apologise for the general holiday ranting and rambling and lack of hand-makingness about this post.  Just a few, hopefully non-boring photos (lots of people hate holiday snaps with a passion so I promise not to force heaps and heaps upon you)  There is a tiny element of “handmade” in my past week.  The shorts I’m wearing here are my gabardine shorts re-fashioned from my daughter’s old charcoal puff-skirt first posted about here.  I’m pleased they have proved themselves to be tough and practical.
Back to normal posting tomorrow.  I’ve noticed that while I was out of internet action Wardrobe Refashion has proposed some big changes!  I wonder how this is going to pan out…?

8 comments:

  1. Wow, that scenary is just amazing. Congratulations to you and your family for being up to such a challenge! And welcome back to the virtual world ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow.... Yup, will have to put this on my list of things to see one day ... Lovely! And i bet you do feel fit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to have you back :)
    WOW the scenery is beautiful!
    Sounds like it really was a very challenging adventure but also an amazing one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back to the "real" world, blogging. Just kidding. So glad you had a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful sceneray as always.
    And I really missed you post. You are writing quite a lot,so on mondays, when i usually check what my favorite bloggers have wrote during all week, I used to see a bunch of your post =)
    Glad you had great hollidays, and even more glad you are back to posting =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. so proud that you got though every step of that gruelling trek. Can't wait to view the rest of the photos!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So that's how you stay so slender!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a lovely way to spend special time with your husband. Welcome back and thanks for sharing your pics.

    ReplyDelete