Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Anatomy of a ball dress, pt 2

I apologise for the lack of progress pictures on this dress.  Pretty much I've had heaps of work and errands to catch up on, and am restricted to sewing in a more limited amount of spare time than I'm used to.  I hope I get it finished!!  No, I'm kidding, this dress will get finished, even if the pictures become a bit sporadic over the next week...
Oh, and thankyou everyone who commented positively on my petticoat in its early stages!  It's so nice to receive lovely supportive comments, I'm very grateful for each and every one of them, you are all wonderfully kind people... Thankyou all so much!
So last night I finished draping the flounce to my satisfaction, folded down 1cm under the top edge and sewed it onto the petticoat with a double line of stitching.


I then inserted the zip and finished the centre back seam.  Haven't put in a hook and eye as yet, doh!!
(Apologies for the poor quality of the following pictures.  I took these this evening and it's too dark for outside photos...)


I handfinished the lining inside the petticoat, yes, my now well-documented obsession with having a nice looking inside; here is a photo of the inside of the bodice


And the petticoat so far.  I have to model it myself from now on because as I've blogged about previously, as wonderful a model as Bessie is she is bigger than me and so once the zip has gone in I can no longer do it up on her... 

The next step will be to hand hem the petticoat, which I will do in front of the idiot box tonight... stay tuned...

6 comments:

  1. You sew beautifully! Can't wait to see the finished dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, it's absolutely stunning! Makes my simple little red Calvin Kline seem like quite a simpleton ;-)
    I love how the skirt is divided into different sections, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It so amazing, so stunning. I'm stumbling for the right words. It's gorgeous! You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The gown is absolutely fabulous. Fancy making something so complicated! I couldnt begin to tackle something so difficult. Love Mum

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely looks more elegant on you than Bessie. I am interested to also see what shoes and accessories you wear with this one.

    ReplyDelete