Friday, March 12, 2010

Wardrobe Refashion, project 6

This refashion was actually excessively easy and barely worth a tutorial of "during" pictures, but here it is...
I started out with these drawstring waist, three quarter pants.  They are shapeless and unattractive and only suitable for pyjamas... but the fabric is lovely fine linen in a gorgeous shade of pistachio that I fall in love with straight away... but am I ever going to wear these pants as is?  No way.  Drawstring and elasticised waists are just a no-go in my wardrobe.  I feel they bunch unattractively around my waist/hips, adding bulk to a problem area, and as a recent commenter kindly reminded me, I am not model thin.  Yeeeah.....  If I will take the risk of putting myself out there then people will feel free to inform me of my figure flaws, but hey I can take it.
So here are the before pants:
No way am I modelling these for the blog, they do look ridiculous and I have some pride.


I removed the drawstring and the elastic from the waist casing and cut the leg pieces off just below crotch level:


Now I took each of the legs; in these pants the back leg pieces are wider than the front pieces, so when ironed flat you get a pressing line with the leg seamline just inside of this running down the length of the legs ... I marked with pins on the leg backs the line of this seamline that is on the leg fronts, and cut the fabric of the leg backs approximately 1cm in from this pinned line and overlocked the raw edges... Then on the leg fronts (which looks superficially the same as it did before) I stitch in the ditch down the original seamline... this is being pointed to by my unpicker in this photo... and thus a hem is created on each side of the two long leg pieces utilising the original pressing line.  (phew! that probably made no sense whatsoever! the picture can do the talking...)


I fitted these two pieces over my shoulders and pinned them inside the original waistband and stitched them on the top stitching line as well as the bottom stitching line of the waistband casing.  The short crotch seams front and back are re-sewn to be straight seams.  The original back of the pants with its pockets still intact I placed at the front.. and cut new holes for the drawstring at the new front...


There was a little slit at the bottom of the legs (now the bodice), I kept this and sewed it down with a button for an extra detail and to bring it in under the arm and help avoid bra flashing...


Hemmed the bottom, et voila....


I think it looks a little like a scrubs top, but then I do like this look.  The team that brought us Scrubs the TV show introduced to non-hospital workers a whole new wardrobe concept in the sexy loose-fitting comfort of scrubs, (and who didn't just love "Scrubs"?)  This will be a good light floaty top which will be lovely and cool for hot days.  And comfortable!  Man, I might just still use it for pyjamas as well as day-wear...


Details:
Top; pistachio linen, refashioned from old pants
Skirt; Diesel
Shoes; Timberland

22 comments:

  1. It turned out so cute.

    I can't believe someone would so rude to point out figure flaws. I never noticed any problem areas on you. But even if I did, I certainly wouldn't say anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not being "model thin" isn't a "figure flaw".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ehm, I did mention in a comment to your post on models that I wasn't 'model thin', I really hope you didn't misread that as a rude comment on your figure. And besides, I totally agree with the previous comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, it turned out cute Carolyn :) I love it especially the deep v-cut and i think the hue complement ur complexion :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That't an interesting idea. The top looks really great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok... now back to the issue at hand THE TOP!!!!!!!!
    i think it looks great ur always so imaginative, i obviously didn't inherent this in my genes from you :(.

    ReplyDelete
  9. gah I can't delete my comments!

    ps: there is also some kind of worm that tried to get into my computer from your blog.. strange.
    Just a heads up :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thats a great idea, I have some trousers like this laying around. Thanks for this tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I stopped by to see your tutorial from the wardrobe refashion blog...What an excellent idea! (And I think it looks great on you - not like scrubs at all.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow you did a great job! It does look very nice on you. You are very creative and your outfits are impressive.

    No matter what you model you look wonderful.... I look forward to seeing your next outfit, and the settings you choose :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a fantastic refashion. I love that new top. It looks really comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is brilliant. I don't know how you can look at pants and get this as a result. Very clever and cute.

    I hope the model thin bit was a misunderstanding. Being 'model thin' equates to unhealthy skin and bones in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO totally adorable! I never would have thought of that! Thanks for the new idea. Just love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love visiting your blog and seeing what you've sewn. I love this top! And I would take being called "not model thin" as a compliment. I think the models look fake and gross. You are a beautiful, creative woman!
    Blessings,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute refashion! I'll have to see if I can find that pair of capris that I never wear and give this a try. Thanks for sharing the tutorial with us.

    As to the rude commenter, it sounds like an insecure person projecting their own self image problems onto others - you look great.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think you have a lovely figure just BTW.. can't believe how rude some people can be... maybe they are the same people that drive me crazy with "helpful" advice to perfect strangers on the street!

    Well done, am so impressed with this refashion!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the refashion - just got a pair of pants that I can't wait to do this too! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow thats amazing!! i would never look at a pair of trousers and think top lol, youre much more creative than me, i love it! x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I found this when googling 'drawstring waistband', this top is very clever indeed and quite beautiful too. Have you heard of the Refashion Co-op? I am one of the editors on the blog, a new refashion community, we are looking for contributors!

    http://refashionco-op.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so cool, I was wondering if I could use your picture ( with full credit of course) on my blog where I collect sewing tutorials from the other blogs. Let me know - my mail id is learningtherope@gmail.com and my blog is here:

    http://sewprettysewfree.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete