Friday, February 5, 2010

Wardrobe Refashion, project 5

Has anyone seen the Vivienne Westwood Spring/Summer 2010 collection, a parade which included what looks like Frankenstein-ed business shirts jammed together in magnificent artistic disarray, at left; sigh, pure gorgeousness incarnate, no?  I think Vivienne Westwood is a design genius, and this is not the first time I have sighed lustfully over her collection.  In a further enticement I also spotted and was mesmerised by this sculptural and beautiful shirt-monster, at right, which I found on outsapop.
Obviously for my own wardrobe I need to tone down the overall excessiveness of these extreme looks, as I live and operate in a fairly conservative little community where artistic fabulousness is likely to provoke tears of hilarity rather than admiration; but I felt so inspired by these examples I wanted to attempt my own version.
Enter; three old business shirts belonging to my husband, which had been put in my “fabric” trunk many years ago.  Don’t remember now exactly why I decided to hang onto these, but I must have had an inkling that they would come in handy one day…
I didn’t take any photos during the construction process this time.  However, the sleeves used for the top have been shortened to be ¾ length, which I think is a more feminine look and I used the collar of one shirt to make a partial attached belt to bring in the back of the top and give it a bit more shape and definition as well as to bring in this fabric colour to the top.  The skirt is comprised of two layers formed by the bodies of the two remaining shirts.  I made a bias binding of some of the leftover fabric to bind the waistband of the skirt which has a single button closure at the left waist, and saved the sleeves of the short-sleeved shirt to make the inserted pockets (see details below)  I really love the final outcome, satisfies my “waste-not-want-not” instincts whilst also looking kind of shabby/trendy and still undeniably unique all together…  I confess it did turn a few heads when I went grocery shopping in town this morning but I’m hoping it was in a good way.  Nobody was pointing and laughing and I take this as a good sign.

Details:
Skirt and top; re-fashioned from three old business shirts
Shoes; Country Road

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh...you're a genuis! I absolutely love this and you did a fantastic job. I especially like the collar/belt. So amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very imaginative. The belt looks great. I'm not suprised a few heads turned. Craig will have to put his clothes under lock and key in future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! It gives a whole new meaning to a shirt dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. came over from wardrobe reafashion - this is an awesome recon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my what a super outfit......so creative and you will not run into anyone wearing exactly what you are wearing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute. You are so artistic. You have a designer mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this dress!!! Will try to make something like this when I find some shirts%))

    ReplyDelete