I pinned these mopping slippers a while ago, and have now got around to making my own. See, we have no carpets in our house and lots of animals; meaning furry dust-bunnies appear on a daily basis to scurry and swirl across the floor like mini tumbleweeds across the desert. Meaning I'm forever getting out my big floor dusting mop thing out from where it lives in the cupboard under the stairs and doing the sweep of the house. Which is a chore. Well, now I can do the same job just by performing graceful balletic sweeps with my dainty pointed toes into the corners of the room, as I glide about the house, doing whatever I'm already doing, without having to go and fetch the duster. Hands-free.
Which is not a chore, but fun!
Well, that's the theory, anyhow :)
Making them is a very simple procedure...
I bought a couple of dusting pad refills; and also used some extra odds and sods from around the place; a thick cleaning sponge for padding so they are comfortable to walk around in on our hard floors, and an old towel for the straps and lining. I also used a bit of an old bedsheet to "interface", if you will; effectively it's there to stabilise and hold all the lining and padding bits together. The sponge I used for padding is actually a bit smaller than my feet but it still does provide a nice soft comfy padding when I'm walking around on them. I already had these in my cleaning cupboard, which was lucky! The sponge is very thick, so I cut it into three layers like you would a sponge cake.
I drew a template of my foot and cut out two generously sized versions out of the towelling and bedsheet lining, sandwiched a piece of the sponge between them and sewed the three layers together around the edge of the sponge.
Then cut the foot straps from the edges of the towelling, making use of the existing selvedge on one side and hemming the other edge. Fitted it to my foot dimensions, making them nice and snug so they stay on my feet ok; but not so tight that I can't slip my foot in easily in one go.
Finally cut the micro fibre dusting pad with a big fold over allowance all around the edges, and simply folded the edges over as I went along, top-stitching it down around the edge.
Dust bunnies; begone!